cricket betting betway blog banner small
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By Uppercut

Thread: 2022 World cup

2011 and 2015 champ - find me in the Platinum Lounge -

2022 World cup

I thought it was already announced long back but lots of noise online today about the 2022 World Cup schedule, with it being in November/December

It makes sense given the location but will play havoc with European football. Assuming Tranmere arenít somehow catapulted up the league by then it presumably means our fixtures will run parallel with the cup which will be strange and definitely take away a lot for me.

I know the world doesnít revolve around Europe but the majority of the world cups players must be at European clubs. It will be interesting to see how this works out.

Quote Originally Posted by Axl Rose
    The internet is a big garbage can

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

International Vice-Captain S.Kennedy's Avatar
    November is ideal for me as it doesn't interfere with the cricket season; I missed the end of a day of 2nd XI cricket for that semi-final!
    "It's (The 100) optimised short-form cricket
    Tom Harrison
    What we are doing here is future-proofing county cricket
    Tom Harrison.
    We want to make the game as simple as possible for them (mums and kids) to understand
    Andrew Strauss.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    I guess it will be fine and obviously a bit different. No doubt I will enjoy, but not having a summer world cup does mean one of the things I enjoy most about the summer won't be a thing.

vcs
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend vcs's Avatar
    I'm happy with it since Nov-Dec is relatively light for me, work-wise.

PL festive season fixtures replaced by WC matches sounds pretty good to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Chix love a man with a checkered posting history.

2011 and 2015 champ - find me in the Platinum Lounge -
    It will be done before Xmas, no idea what schedule the top leagues will plan though

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Logically it would be better to take a full break for the World Cup and extend the seasons until June.

My feelings sort of echo those of sledger/GIMH. I’ll really miss the summer WC personally but the world doesn’t revolve around me, and if we insist on a June WC every time that permanently rules out large parts of the world for climate reasons.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Guess we may have plenty of midday fixtures in the league for us lower league fans so it doesn't clash.

International Vice-Captain vogue's Avatar
    Actually Nov-Dec really good for me , from the POV of :

I don’t follow a particular football club so there will be no clashes( this is poor I know, I excuse this by the fact it’s a cricket loving area and football is secondary in these parts )
    It’s Winter so the weather will be terrible so staying inside to watch will be a good distraction.
    November is a depressing month, see above and it being end of the year feel so should brighten up the time before Christmas .
    And once the storm is over you wonít remember how you made it through,how you managed to survive. You wonít even be sure,in fact,whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm you wonít be the same person who walked in. Haruki Murakami .

International Vice-Captain Tangles's Avatar
    I thought they were building indoor stadiums due to the climate. So a move to November must mean they didn't.

I refuse to recognise the 2022 World Cup.

Regardless of the corruption or how much of a **** Russia is as a country, it's the sort of country that should be hosting a World Cup.

Qatar getting it makes a mockery of football.
    ​IF YOU TOLERATE THIS YOUR CHILDREN WILL BE NEXT

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    I suspect it might not truly feel like a world Cup tbh. Part of that will be down to it not being in June, but it kind of has that Stanford Series/IPL vibe to it. Not entirely illegitimate, but a bit tacky and just dripping in money.

I wonder if the Europe-based players might even benefit from it not being after a long domestic season.

But it isn't just the tournament itself, is it, unless the national sides will only spend a week or so together beforehand. And then of course it will finish just before the winter break that happens in some European countries. My guess is we'll start the domestic season a couple of weeks earlier as well as extending it into June.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    I refuse to recognise the 2022 World Cup.

Regardless of the corruption or how much of a **** Russia is as a country, it's the sort of country that should be hosting a World Cup.

Qatar getting it makes a mockery of football.
    Qatar is just a gross country
    Don't go chasing waterfalls

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I suspect it might not truly feel like a world Cup tbh. Part of that will be down to it not being in June, but it kind of has that Stanford Series/IPL vibe to it. Not entirely illegitimate, but a bit tacky and just dripping in money.
    I think it’ll go much like this one. There’ll be tons of noise about how rubbish, illegitimate, and politically problematic it’ll be for years leading up to it, which will all be instantly forgotten the second the football starts.

Thread Information