• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2018 World Cup Final: France v Croatia

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
1982 is probably the one tournament I wish I'd been alive to see. Love watching that Brazil team's goal compilation from that tournament from time to time... almost every single one of them outrageously good.
Yes, I still watch that from time to time too. It doesn't lose anything for repeated viewing. And as you suggest, watching those goals live at the time was breath-taking.
Personally it helps that I've always had an irrational soft spot for Italy. Maybe because they usually see off the Germans, which was important in 1982 as that German side was the personification of pantomime villainy.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Very hard to choose between this and the last one for me. 2014 had a lot more dud games than this one, though I feel like the general quality was a lot higher. A good final might swing it.

vcs

This has definitely been better than 2010 and 2014.

If we're ranking international tournaments in general, I really enjoyed Euro 2000 and Euro 2008, WC 2006 was also excellent I thought.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
This has definitely been better than 2010 and 2014.

If we're ranking international tournaments in general, I really enjoyed Euro 2000 and Euro 2008, WC 2006 was also excellent I thought.
Euro 2000 was fabulous; arguably the best tournament I've ever seen.

I don't recall so much about Euro 2008 and WC 2006. I suppose the former must have seen Spain at the peak of their powers, which counts for a lot. And the Germany/Italy semi-final in 2006 was as good a match as anyone could wish to see.

Redbacks

International Captain
I think without Germany/Italy or Holland in the knockouts it has been a little different. That’s usually 3 defining games if they get knocked out.

Redbacks

International Captain
Crotia has played one full match more then Croatia I think that will show by the final. I think it will be a verry one sided final with France winning comfortably
They play 60 games a year, so their bodies are conditioned for this kind of workload. I think fatigue is not going to be as big a factor as we might expect.

Uppercut

Croatia’s defensive line on those free kicks just screams ‘clueless manager’.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's been a good tournament, but I enjoyed 2014 a lot more personally.
2014 had an amazing group stage and a dreadful knockout stage (Brazil's humiliation aside).

This tournament has had consistent quality all the way through. One solitary 0-0 draw is unprecedented.