Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: 2018 World Cup Final: France v Croatia

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Would be fully on board with this if not for Mbappe. **** Mbappe.

Alternatively, coming from behind three games in a row and ending up in extra time over and over again could mean they're wrecked. Depends on whether all of the blokes limping off were cramping or some were more serious, I suppose.
    What’s wrong with Mbappe?!

Evil Scotsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinzan View Post
    Unless you're French, why would anyone want France (who've won it before) to win against the underdog that is Croatia?
    Because **** Croatia, that's why.

International Vice-Captain S.Kennedy's Avatar
    I want Croatia to win.
    "It's (The 100) optimised short-form cricket
    Tom Harrison
    What we are doing here is future-proofing county cricket
    Tom Harrison.
    We want to make the game as simple as possible for them (mums and kids) to understand
    Andrew Strauss.

I was pondering what needs to happen today for this to be regarded as a great WC rather than just a very good one. Being honest, there's more than a hint of parochial self-interest here; had England made it to the final, I'd have a far more positive view on the tourney as a whole, but I'm still a bit miffed about how things panned out.

Anyway, my conclusion was that Mbappe turning it on like the teenage Pele in 1958 would do the trick.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    It's been a good tournament, but I enjoyed 2014 a lot more personally.

Request Your Custom Title Now! OverratedSanity's Avatar
    I've enjoyed it more than 2014 and I thought 2014 was excellent.
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**t over your head and get a woolly bull to f**k some sense into you.

I remember enjoying the group stages in 2014, but I'm struggling to recall any individual games. That's more about the state of my memory nowadays than the actual merit of said games.

I think the knockout matches have been better this time, but, again, I may have forgotten some from 2014.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Despite its obvious pitfalls I think 2002 is my favourite world Cup of my lifetime. I put that down to me being a japanophile and 2002 being pretty much the peak of my football fandom. Some rose tinted lenses at play as well no doubt.

As an adult 2014 a clear winner for me. There was just a certain atmosphere about that tournament that I think this one lacked. Brazil being an exotic destination steeped in football history probably being the reason for this.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Despite its obvious pitfalls I think 2002 is my favourite world Cup of my lifetime. I put that down to me being a japanophile and 2002 being pretty much the peak of my football fandom. Some rose tinted lenses at play as well no doubt.

As an adult 2014 a clear winner for me. There was just a certain atmosphere about that tournament that I think this one lacked. Brazil being an exotic destination steeped in football history probably being the reason for this.

2002 has the advantage of an ATG player making an indelible mark on the tournament, up to and including the final. Always helps.

Some of the photo opportunities in 2014 were breath-taking. I remember footage of the massive statue of Christ, arms stretched outwards, apparently holding the setting sun. The accompanying commentary was brilliant - 'Anyone would think they planned it that way', or words to that effect.

I'll still take a bit of persuading that 1982 wasn't the best tournament since I've been watching the game. It's certainly the one I remember best.

Request Your Custom Title Now! OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    I'll still take a bit of persuading that 1982 wasn't the best tournament since I've been watching the game. It's certainly the one I remember best.
    1982 is probably the one tournament I wish I'd been alive to see. Love watching that Brazil team's goal compilation from that tournament from time to time... almost every single one of them outrageously good.
    vcs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    1982 is probably the one tournament I wish I'd been alive to see. Love watching that Brazil team's goal compilation from that tournament from time to time... almost every single one of them outrageously good.
    Yes, I still watch that from time to time too. It doesn't lose anything for repeated viewing. And as you suggest, watching those goals live at the time was breath-taking.
    Personally it helps that I've always had an irrational soft spot for Italy. Maybe because they usually see off the Germans, which was important in 1982 as that German side was the personification of pantomime villainy.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Very hard to choose between this and the last one for me. 2014 had a lot more dud games than this one, though I feel like the general quality was a lot higher. A good final might swing it.

vcs
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend vcs's Avatar
    This has definitely been better than 2010 and 2014.

If we're ranking international tournaments in general, I really enjoyed Euro 2000 and Euro 2008, WC 2006 was also excellent I thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Chix love a man with a checkered posting history.

Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    This has definitely been better than 2010 and 2014.

If we're ranking international tournaments in general, I really enjoyed Euro 2000 and Euro 2008, WC 2006 was also excellent I thought.
    Euro 2000 was fabulous; arguably the best tournament I've ever seen.

I don't recall so much about Euro 2008 and WC 2006. I suppose the former must have seen Spain at the peak of their powers, which counts for a lot. And the Germany/Italy semi-final in 2006 was as good a match as anyone could wish to see.

International Vice-Captain S.Kennedy's Avatar
    This has been the best World Cup since 1998 in my opinion.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information