Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: SF2: Croatia v England

I feel quite flat and deflated today. For me itís always been club over country and always will be but England doing well gives us a lift in such a different way. We all have our views on the things that divide society like Brexit, Theresa bloody May and Corbyn and all that ****, but the majority of the country joins together when England get on a run. The flags, the horns, everyone singing Three Lions, itís just great.

Thereís nothing else in this country that can do that and thatís why thereís no major criticism today because though itís a missed opportunity Southgate and the players have achieved something that hasnít happened on such a scale IMO since maybe Euro 96, 04 at a stretch (we made the quarters in 06 but the performances were so average that the belief wasnít really there) and with the age of the squad and the latter stages being here thereís real hope that it could happen again in two years.

I expect a greater interest in the national side in the coming years, in the friendlies and qualifiers that people were ambivalent to and with the success weíve had in the age groups then hopefully they can kick on.

Great tournament and I hope they get a good reception when they get home.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Yeah I mean I don’t disapprove, it’s far healthier than the usual brutal scapegoating and abuse.

I guess I just don’t think the reality on the pitch has changed anywhere near as much as the emotional response has. Croatia are on a similar level to Iceland, they finished below Iceland in qualifying, but that loss was received as an epochal humiliation whereas this one is going down as a brave bowing to providence.

It was a disappointing performance, closer to Iceland 2016 than Germany 1990/1996. It’s not a game where the players will come off thinking ‘hard fought game and it’s a shame it didn’t fall our way’. They’ll be thinking they didn’t do themselves justice.
    Last edited by Uppercut; 12-07-2018 at 03:02 PM.

Hexxagon Champion!
    Think that says more about the absurdly condescending, disproportionate reception of the Iceland defeat. Croatia are a better team than Iceland though, any midfield with Modric and Rakitic is going to be.

They probably didn't do themselves justice but ultimately I don't really mind. They certainly had done up until then and for a young team to freeze up a bit on such a huge occasion is understandable.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Yeah I mean I don’t disapprove, it’s far healthier than the usual brutal scapegoating and abuse.

I guess I just don’t think the reality on the pitch has changed anywhere near as much as the emotional response has. Croatia are on a similar level to Iceland, they finished below Iceland in qualifying, but that loss was received as an epochal humiliation whereas this one is going down as a brave bowing to providence.

It was a disappointing performance, closer to Iceland 2016 than Germany 1990/1996. It’s not a game where the players will come off thinking ‘hard fought game and it’s a shame it didn’t fall our way’. They’ll be thinking they didn’t do themselves justice.
    Yeah, the fact that both Croatia goals were eminently preventable will especially hurt. Having said that, I thought England's back 3 looked shaky pretty much every game I watched them - even against Panama. Pickford bailed them out on more than a few occasions.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloakey View Post
    Darlingface
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

International Vice-Captain S.Kennedy's Avatar
    Kane will be running those misses through his head for the rest of his life. You have to take them.
    "It's (The 100) optimised short-form cricket
    Tom Harrison
    What we are doing here is future-proofing county cricket
    Tom Harrison.
    We want to make the game as simple as possible for them (mums and kids) to understand
    Andrew Strauss.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    Yeah, the fact that both Croatia goals were eminently preventable will especially hurt. Having said that, I thought England's back 3 looked shaky pretty much every game I watched them - even against Panama. Pickford bailed them out on more than a few occasions.
    Yeah Pickford has a genuinely top tourney. Looked really assured for the most part. He could be a truly top keeper once his balls drop.

What was most frustrating was Stones was having an immense game until their second

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Yeah I wouldn’t be blaming Stones or Walker for the goals really, although they were bad mistakes. But both goals resulted from England losing control of the game by playing too direct, not pressing high enough, and not making the right subs. When they played on the front foot Walker’s pace made him impossible to get behind and Stones’s passing came into its own. When they sat back Walker’s inability to defend the back post was exposed and Stones’s casualness became a weakness instead of a strength. Like the systemic failure forced them into situations that don’t suit them, and that’s where they made mistakes.

Pickford's Durham. So is Jordan Henderson.

cpr
    Durham makes it sound so much classier than dirty mackem b*ds
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Evil Scotsman
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    They completely outplayed Croatia in the first half but didn't put the ball in the back of the net. Kane missed two sitters in about two seconds! Then they collapsed in the second half. Might be fitness levels and stamina or lack of game management or experience - or a combination?
    Game management and lack of experience was definitely a factor.

I didn't think England reacted very well to conceding an equaliser either in this game or against Colombia.

I will caveat this by stating that I only saw the second half of both the Colombia and Croatia games and didn't see the Sweden game, but I thought Harry Kane was really poor in the games I did see.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Kane surely carrying some sort of injury or something since Colombia. Was like he dropped off a cliff.

Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    Game management and lack of experience was definitely a factor.

I didn't think England reacted very well to conceding an equaliser either in this game or against Colombia.

I will caveat this by stating that I only saw the second half of both the Colombia and Croatia games and didn't see the Sweden game, but I thought Harry Kane was really poor in the games I did see.
    He should have taken a couple of chances against Croatia, although his performance won't have been helped by the defender's attempt to break his ribs early in the game. The failure of an absurdly weak referee to even issue a yellow card meant that they knew they could continue to kick him all over Moscow for the remainder of the match.

I think another thing that came out of the game is our over-reliance on one player to score from open play. If Kane is having an off day, then we aren't often going to score unless it's a dead ball situation, and that's a problem. That may well lead to yet more discussion about Sterling's role in the side, hopefully without knee-jerk accusations of racism. But there are times when Alli looks like he's getting a free ride too.

The game management should improve under Southgate.

I think a lack of a bona fide playmaker who can retain the ball in the central midfield meant Kane kept dragging back deeper rather than being a simple ''fox-in-the-box'' number 9, at the top of the formation. This also had the inevitable results of knackering him out.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Haha Kane is not, nor has he ever been, a mere "Fox in the Box". He is far far better than that.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread Information