• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

QF3: Sweden v England

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just a thought, but if we now go on to beat Croatia and France/Belgium as well will that make the Brexit negotiations harder or easier?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I’m shocked England has only been to the semi finals three times....is that true??
Bear in mind that none of the Home Nations competed in the first 3 World Cups because beating Johnny Foreigner was beneath us.

England would almost certainly have won at least one World Cup in the 1930s and I'm pretty sure Scotland would have been in with a shout at the time as well.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Bear in mind that none of the Home Nations competed in the first 3 World Cups because beating Johnny Foreigner was beneath us.

England would almost certainly have won at least one World Cup in the 1930s and I'm pretty sure Scotland would have been in with a shout at the time as well.
Let's not get carried away now.

Indipper

State Regular

Your confidence in your island nation is not supported by the available data. Flingland never even played Uruguay, arguably the world's best side of the 1920s, Argentina or Brazil in the first half of the century. And their record against strong continental sides in the 1930s is pretty mixed.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Let's not get carried away now.
There were 20 fixtures between Scotland and England between 1920 and 1939.

Scotland won 11, England won 6 and there were 3 draws.

If you think (as I do) that England could have won a World Cup prior to World War 2, then based on their head to head record Scotland would have had to have been in with a fair shout.

You're forgetting that throughout history the head to head record between England and Scotland has always been fairly even...it's only the results in the last 30 years or so that have taken England ahead 48-41 in the all time head to head.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thank god for the Telegraph. If it wasn't for them we'd still have Fat Sam as manager, Rooney in the side and have been out a week ago.

BoyBrumby

Englishman

If you think (as I do) that England could have won a World Cup prior to World War 2, then based on their head to head record Scotland would have had to have been in with a fair shout.

You're forgetting that throughout history the head to head record between England and Scotland has always been fairly even...it's only the results in the last 30 years or so that have taken England ahead 48-41 in the all time head to head.
It's a fair shout. Looking at the retrospective Elo rankings Scotland were in the top ten for most of the 30s.

In 1938 for instance Scotland were ranked third, behind only Italy and Argentina but ahead of Hungary who made the final that year.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain

Not sure about that either.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yeah, certainly seen the best and the worst of Englands reactions this last few weeks. Some of the scenes have been outstanding but some downright disgraceful.
You're going to get that with any large enough group of passionate fans honestly. Most people will celebrate appropriately and keep things in context, but there'll always be a group that won't.