• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Round of 16 thread

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well no. But as I don’t follow football stuff in as great a detail as everyone on here then I’m in the minority.
Black players are stereotyped in the media as strong and fast but lazy and unthinking. Lukaku speaks six languages but still gets airhead pundits telling him he needs to be smarter.

Also they’re only ever compared to other black players.

vogue

International Vice-Captain
Black players are stereotyped in the media as strong and fast but lazy and unthinking. Lukaku speaks six languages but still gets airhead pundits telling him he needs to be smarter.

Also they’re only ever compared to other black players.
Confess to googling him first before I said anything and read about how many languages he speaks and how he came from a relatively poor background but he made good and lots of other positive stuff. Couldn’t at that point understand what it could be, but thanks for explaining. Seems a very decent sort despite the crap from the press.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Random question for those who know the sport. Some people were talking the other day about how the champions league is a superior competition to the World Cup because the talent is better. My question is, if the best team in the world, say Brazil were to play the best club in the world, say Real Madrid, who would likely win? Assuming any Brazil players on the current squad would play for country over club (and what if they played for club over country?)

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Real Madrid train together for 11 months a year, so they would generally win.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Random question for those who know the sport. Some people were talking the other day about how the champions league is a superior competition to the World Cup because the talent is better. My question is, if the best team in the world, say Brazil were to play the best club in the world, say Real Madrid, who would likely win? Assuming any Brazil players on the current squad would play for country over club (and what if they played for club over country?)
The top few clubs in the top few European leagues have enough of a stranglehold over the money (and by extension, the players) that they have more to call on than the national sides, who have to make do with what they've got.

edit: i've just seen that your question was for those who know the sport, please feel free to ignore my opinion

Furball

Evil Scotsman
He doesn't necessarily get crap from the press, at least I'm not aware of any criticism he gets that's overtly racist.

It's subtly racist, as Uppercut has pointed out.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
England midfield not really helping out when Comubia high press the buildup.

Henderson was definitely pulling a Neymar on that free kick.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
For obvious CW/cricket related reasons, I was planning to root for Colombia but I find myself rooting for England here. How he **** did that happen?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
How the **** was that not a red?

If he gave nothing i could understand but a yellow? Nah.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
How the **** was that not a red?

If he gave nothing i could understand but a yellow? Nah.
He's not been very interested in picking up much at all. The Columbian defenders have been given carte blanche to hold our players as much as they want.

Beyond that, we're not creating a lot. Sterling's having one of his better games tbf. And I don't think Alli is 100% fit.