• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Round of 16 thread

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah I reckon the success rate is higher on top-corner, down the middle, and Panenkas, but players don't usually go for them because it looks worse if they do miss. Shooting to the keeper's right has the worst success rate but at least if you miss there you won't become a meme.
Makes sense due to most keepers being right handed, bad news as a right footed penalty taker as I always felt more comfortable shooting to the keeper's right than his left.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Makes sense due to most keepers being right handed, bad news as a right footed penalty taker as I always felt more comfortable shooting to the keeper's right than his left.
Yeah shooting to the keepers left is much easier with the standard laces technique. Going the other way usually means striking with the outside of the boot and sacrificing accuracy or side-footing and sacrificing power. Can also be tricky not to telegraph it when you side-foot. Keepers know all of this and dive right more often.

I thought after Euro 2012 the Panenka would become fairly standard. It's not a very difficult technique at all, they're hardly ever saved, and if you do one or two keepers will stop diving early, giving you a better chance of scoring with other techniques. There's not really any reason to strike down the middle when you could Panenka instead, because when you strike it you don't give the keeper time to get out of the way, leading to saves like Akinfeev's yesterday. But they're still classed as "trying some fancy ****", leading to disproportionate abuse when someone misses one once in a blue moon.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
He was kidding us all with his failure to get the keepers to stay on their goal lines until the ball had been kicked. He can't possibly have not seen it, so we'll just put it down to yet another bottle job.
And I'd forgotten that one of the assistant refs is on the goal line just by the edge of the 6 yard box, so they would have had a perfect view of what the keepers were doing.
Spineless doesn't come close.

Apparently an Irish team (maybe their U21s) were punished recently when their keeper picked up a 2nd yellow card for doing that and had to be replaced by an outfield player for the rest of the shoot-out. Honestly, I'd pay hard cash to see one of the refs actually apply the laws of the game in this regard during the WC.

Uppercut

And I'd forgotten that one of the assistant refs is on the goal line just by the edge of the 6 yard box, so they would have had a perfect view of what the keepers were doing.
Spineless doesn't come close.

Apparently an Irish team (maybe their U21s) were punished recently when their keeper picked up a 2nd yellow card for doing that and had to be replaced by an outfield player for the rest of the shoot-out.
Honestly, I'd pay hard cash to see one of the refs actually apply the laws of the game in this regard during the WC.
The replays showed he wasn't actually off his line when the ball was kicked for that one. Pretty brutal decision to get wrong in a youth tournament.

Might explain why refs here are reluctant to enforce it. Akinfeev looked well off his line for his save but the replays showed he wasn't at all.

Uppercut

Mexico constantly break into very dangerous situations then waste them with terrible decisions.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
The replays showed he wasn't actually off his line when the ball was kicked for that one. Pretty brutal decision to get wrong in a youth tournament.

Might explain why refs here are reluctant to enforce it. Akinfeev looked well off his line for his save but the replays showed he wasn't at all.
That's rough, no question.

But as you say, replays are available in the WC so there's no excuse here imo.

vcs

Neymar does attract a lot of tackles, but he seems to have a really low pain threshold.