Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Less European representation

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    Odds based on number of competitors from a region presupposes that each team has an equal chance of winning, something that is quite unquestionably false so your whole argument is flawed.
    I am not saying that the individual teams have equal chance of winning the World Cup, I am saying that I because they have had the largest proportion of place at a World Cup there is a greater probability that UEFA as a region will have the best team at the World Cup than other regions
    LEARN SOMETHING NEW ABOUT AFRICA TODAY

They scored a single, declared and still won by an innings

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    I am not saying that the individual teams have equal chance of winning the World Cup, I am saying that I because they have had the largest proportion of place at a World Cup there is a greater probability that UEFA as a region will have the best team at the World Cup than other regions
    If the best teams are European then there’s a greater probability that a European side will win the World Cup. Guess what?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Evil Scotsman
    Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    South America has better teams than Africa or Asia despite similar representation.

cpr
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post

Pretty much every team defended like that at the time. That was football. And the South Americans were known for being the dirtiest at it.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

International Vice-Captain S.Kennedy's Avatar
    If this was some conspiracy against the Brazilians of 1966, then the culprits to emerge from that group (Portugal) didn't gain anything ultimately considering England knocked them out in the semi-finals and went on to win the entire thing.
    "It's (The 100) optimised short-form cricket
    Tom Harrison
    What we are doing here is future-proofing county cricket
    Tom Harrison.
    We want to make the game as simple as possible for them (mums and kids) to understand
    Andrew Strauss.

Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    Pretty much every team defended like that at the time. That was football. And the South Americans were known for being the dirtiest at it.
    Not so much Brazil, tbf. But there's a lot of truth in your comment. Argentina and Uruguay weren't renowned for taking many prisoners, ditto Chile in the previous WC. And then there were the notorious world club championship matches between the winners of the European Cup and the South American Championship in the late 1960s. What Celtic and Man Utd had to take in those matches was unbelievable.

England played a mini-tournament over in South America a year or two before the 1966 WC. Pele ran riot against our boys; it may have finished 5-1, or something along those lines. When Brazil played Argentina, Pele was taking so much physical abuse that he ended up rearranging the nasal features of one of the Argentina defenders and being sent off. Typical refereeing of the time, of course; the defenders could do whatever they wanted and the attacking players just had to put up with it.

Evil Scotsman
    That's why I don't think retaliation should be a red card unless the retaliation is uneccesarily violent. If a defender clatters a forward late then I think retaliating with a kick or 'accidentally' standing on your opponent is fair game.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    I think Europe have been producing much better technical midfielders than the SA teams for a while now, and it is starting to show. Since '94, Brazil have been trying to get away with playing water-carriers and spoilers in midfield and Argentina haven't had a great one since the Aimar/Riquelme days, and they couldn't get over the line with those guys. All the top European teams are pretty well stocked with good central midfielders who can dictate games.
    Brazil went out to a Fellaini-Witsel midfield.

I think youíre overfitting. Argentina had an unusually weak side but reached the final last time, and Brazil didnít get the rub of the green against another strong team. The only other major historical South American power is Uruguay, who are still massively overperforming given their size etc. I donít think much has changed.
    vcs likes this.

Evil Scotsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post

I think you’re overfitting. Argentina had an unusually weak side but reached the final last time, and Brazil didn’t get the rub of the green against another strong team. The only other major historical South American power is Uruguay, who are still massively overperforming given their size etc. I don’t think much has changed.
    Nah he's got a point about midfielders. For years Brazil have either produced good defensive mids or number 10s. I can't remember the last great Brazilian midfielder who I'd compare style wise to a Xavi, Iniesta, Kroos, Pirlo, Scholes from Europe, or even Riquelme or Redondo from Argentina.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    Nah he's got a point about midfielders. For years Brazil have either produced good defensive mids or number 10s. I can't remember the last great Brazilian midfielder who I'd compare style wise to a Xavi, Iniesta, Kroos, Pirlo, Scholes from Europe, or even Riquelme or Redondo from Argentina.
    Probably have to go back to Socrates to find a great midfielder from Brazil who wasn't a holding one.

Ahem

Cabinet96 likes this.

... .... .- -.- . / - .... . / -.. . .- - .... / ..-. .-. --- -- / -.-- --- ..- .-. / -... --- -. . ...

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Is that the one Sven signed, sounded like Vic Reeves messing about on Shooting Stars and his name escapes me.

vcs
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend vcs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post

I think you’re overfitting. Argentina had an unusually weak side but reached the final last time, and Brazil didn’t get the rub of the green against another strong team. The only other major historical South American power is Uruguay, who are still massively overperforming given their size etc. I don’t think much has changed.
    Yeah, this was more what I was trying to say. Definitely possible I could be drawing too long a bow with the general point.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Chix love a man with a checkered posting history.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Pretty high bar you’re setting tbf. Casemiro, Fernandinho and Coutinho are all still very good, certainly better than the current England or Italy midfields.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread Information