cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Less European representation

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    I think the gap's widened, if anything.

Saudi Arabia, Tunisia and Panama especially have no place in a global tournament. Costa Rica look to have gone backwards too.

I don't think anyone could realistically argue that Italy, the Netherlands or Chile wouldn't have added more in terms of competitiveness.
    You can't just cherry-pick the best teams though. Tunisia are the highest-ranked African team, Saudi Arabia qualified ahead of Australia, and Costa Rica qualified from CONCACAF in second. Netherlands didn't even make the playoffs- an extra European slot is as likely to go to an ultra-defensive Greece or Northern Ireland side as it is a big name that got an awkward draw and slipped up.

Will definitely give you Chile though. The South Americans are hard done by imo.
    Last edited by Uppercut; 25-06-2018 at 04:37 AM.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    You can't just cherry-pick the best teams though. Tunisia are the highest-ranked African team, Saudi Arabia qualified ahead of Australia, and Costa Rica qualified from CONCACAF in second. Netherlands didn't even make the playoffs- an extra European slot is as likely to go to an ultra-defensive Greece or Northern Ireland side as it is a big name that got an awkward draw and slipped up.

Will definitely give you Chile though. The South Americans are hard done by imo.
    Reckon they'd be given more slots if they actually had more countries on their continent tbh. It's crazy to think how big South America is but so few countries in relation to other continents.
    harsh.ag likes this.

Request Your Custom Title Now! OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Reckon they'd be given more slots if they actually had more countries on their continent tbh. It's crazy to think how big South America is but so few countries in relation to other continents.
    Yep. It's a shame because they're all pretty damn good.
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**t over your head and get a woolly bull to f**k some sense into you.

Why is it a bad idea to use regional competitions like Euro, Copa America etc as qualifiers for the WC?
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

Request Your Custom Title Now! Howe_zat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by harsh.ag View Post
    Why is it a bad idea to use regional competitions like Euro, Copa America etc as qualifiers for the WC?
    That's how it works in rugby union so it's not unheard of.

The big difference is that qualifying in rugby attracts almost no attention because there is such a gap between the big teams and the minnows. So it's done by scrapping any need for the obvious sides to get in and let second tier regional tournaments decide the rest. In football, there is still a lot of media attention around England getting past Belarus et al, so it'd be a money loser to scrap those games.

A problem that it has in rugby (and would have in football too) is that the qualifying gets done very early and so the teams that qualified in 2012-13 are rocking up to the world cup in 2015 with less relation to the teams that qualified than makes for a good story.
    Last edited by Howe_zat; 25-06-2018 at 06:40 AM.
    We are lost
    We can never go home

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    I think African and Asian qualification has some games that have consequences for both regional tournaments and the WC. It'd be terrible for Europe because the four-year cycle means that if you missed out on the Euros you would have no competitive games for almost 3 years. A strong Euros performance gets you a better seeding in qualification though, so it's not completely irrelevant.

Request Your Custom Title Now! OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Also the Euros are usually great fun so why would you want to reduce it to qualifier status
    S.Kennedy likes this.

Should have global qualifying, it would piss all the big clubs off so I see no downside

Hall of Fame Member fredfertang's Avatar
    I think they should let India in - anything to reduce the importance of the IPL
    vcs likes this.

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    I think the gap's widened, if anything.

Saudi Arabia, Tunisia and Panama especially have no place in a global tournament. Costa Rica look to have gone backwards too.

I don't think anyone could realistically argue that Italy, the Netherlands or Chile wouldn't have added more in terms of competitiveness.
    I don't think the gap has increased. Don't compare the weakest teams. Over all, defenses have improved and teams play structured football far more from the traditionally weaker Asian and African countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Pratters View Post
    Should Europe have less teams in future world cups as gap between European and other sides seems to have diminished..
    I don't think you understand what diminished means.

The World Cup suffers enough because of a lack of European teams.
    ​IF I CAN SHOOT RABBITS THEN I CAN SHOOT FASCISTS

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I think FIFA have the 32 allocated spots between the confederations pretty much spot on.

I dont think 16 teams from Europe is enough when it goes up to 48 teams.
    I still don't like that Oceania don't get an automatic slot.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratters View Post
    I don't think the gap has increased. Don't compare the weakest teams. Over all, defenses have improved and teams play structured football far more from the traditionally weaker Asian and African countries.
    I.e. the teams that actually quaified in this case.

I mean, yeah, why on earth do that?

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Poland also qualified, no?

Ah yes, Poland, that well known Asian/African nation.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information