Like Tree22Likes

Thread: World Cup Nostalgia Thread

Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    Diana Ross's pen.
    Better than Bagio's
    vcs and OverratedSanity like this.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Johnners's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I remember Brazil getting knocked out in 82 and couldnít believe it. Fmd they were an amazing side.

Was watching highlights of Aus v Japan from 06 yesterday. Simon Hillís call was a highlight all its own, especially Aloisiís goal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausage View Post
    I'll never forget us qualifying in 2006. Hard to explain what it meant to non Australians (Kiwis the only possible exception). Even now qualification doesn't feel momentous like that one did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Yeah that was one crazy night. Bresciano's goal to level up the tie then that shoot out. FMD when Aloisi scored that penalty I reckon it was the biggest single mass celebration ever in Australia.

Until Howard lost his seat the next year anyway.
    Also been watching the above moments tonight, just an incredible feeling.

Hairs still stand up on the back of my neck watching Schwarzers second save, Aloisi's penalty, and Timmeh's 2 goals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhM1t0XyB08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5Hvt-jZOJs
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

vcs
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend vcs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    Better than Bagio's

Better runup than that bald Italian dude in the last Euros as well.
    harsh.ag likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Chix love a man with a checkered posting history.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    that's even funnier than I remembered. After she misses it looks like she's running away in shame.

94 was the first I watched, England didnít qualify which crushed me and the time zone wasnít great for a ten year old

However I bloody loved it. And my hero was there, scored a key goal and made worldwide headlines.

But 98 is probably my favourite.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    I remember absolutely nothing of WC94 itself. I can remember a bit of the qualifiers though, specifically England effing it up.

The most prominent memory I have linked to the whole thing was Sledger Snr having a very animated conversation with one of my primary school teachers about how Graham Taylor was the worst England manager of all time.

In fact it wasn't so much a conversation, but Sledger Snr ranting and raving and the teacher standing there and going "mmmmm yes, I see....". Ah memories. The days of when FIFA games used unlicensed names.

Evil Scotsman
    Germany absolutely destroying Brazil last time out will never not be hilarious.

Evil Scotsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I remember absolutely nothing of WC94 itself. I can remember a bit of the qualifiers though, specifically England effing it up.

The most prominent memory I have linked to the whole thing was Sledger Snr having a very animated conversation with one of my primary school teachers about how Graham Taylor was the worst England manager of all time.

In fact it wasn't so much a conversation, but Sledger Snr ranting and raving and the teacher standing there and going "mmmmm yes, I see....". Ah memories. The days of when FIFA games used unlicensed names.
    The qualifier away to the Netherlands was pretty funny.

Pretty sure Scotland got gubbed 5-0 by Portugal on my 8th birthday trying to qualify for that tournament and McCoist broke his leg. Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    94 was the first I watched, England didn’t qualify which crushed me and the time zone wasn’t great for a ten year old

However I bloody loved it. And my hero was there, scored a key goal and made worldwide headlines.

But 98 is probably my favourite.
    Yeah, your first WC will always have a huge emotional pull. Which can be a bad thing if it includes a disaster like England losing 3-2 to WG after leading 2-0 in 1970. That's one reason why I can't honestly say that the 1970 WC is my favourite, despite the wonderful football played by that Brazilian side.

Football isn't really my passion, and obviously England isn't really my team, but by chance I had the opportunity to go to three of England's games here in Japan in 2002 -- Sweden, Nigeria and Brazil. They aren't really "football" memories, but the atmosphere, the joy, the fun of the whole thing is up there as one of the greatest experiences I've ever had in my entire life. Walking through the streets of Osaka on the way to the Nigeria game with all the local kids sporting the "beckham" hairdo trying to pat us on the back, compared to the paranoid cops in Saitama with their fenced in walkways trying to keep the "fooligans" (the "h" sound doesn't work in Japanese so it becomes an "f") at bay; Sir Roger Moore as some ambassador for something happy to talk to everyone who walked past, and the BBC trying to make us sing "always look on the bright side of life" after the Brazil game. I remember walking around Shinjuku here in Tokyo the evening Japan won it's first-ever WC match -- like being in a country I'd never experienced before. That entire month was just exhuberant -- the world decided to throw a party on my front doorstep, and everyone was invited, and it was just such unbelievably good fun. The World Cup is the best.
    Daemon, straw man, Adders and 2 others like this.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend fredfertang's Avatar
    1974 - we didn't qualify thanks to that bloody Polish goalkeeper - I couldn't quite believe it but had to support someone so chose Haiti over Scotland - the Haitians lost all three games but a bloke called Emanuel Sanon scored two wonderful goals, and for a few minutes in their first game they led Italy - the Scots were a bit unlucky in truth - got a draw with Brazil, but still couldn't get through the group stages - but they were there

Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    1974 - we didn't qualify thanks to that bloody Polish goalkeeper - I couldn't quite believe it but had to support someone so chose Haiti over Scotland - the Haitians lost all three games but a bloke called Emanuel Sanon scored two wonderful goals, and for a few minutes in their first game they led Italy - the Scots were a bit unlucky in truth - got a draw with Brazil, but still couldn't get through the group stages - but they were there
    Scotland were a bit unlucky not to beat Brazil iirc. Drew 0-0 and saw a close range shot from Bremner creep outside the post with the keeper no-where. That being said, they probably sat back a bit when leading 2-0 against Zaire instead of doing a Yugoslavia and pushing on and scoring a truck-load. And then Brazil scored 3 due to the Zaire keeper's incompetence and that was that - out on goal difference. Only unbeaten side in the tournament, I think. And easily their best performance in a WC.

Like almost everyone else I was gobsmacked by Holland in that tournament and disappointed as hell when they lost the final. I also like Poland actually, despite them knocking us out.

Had never heard this commentary before, so so good. British commentary is so much worse than it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post

Had never heard this commentary before, so so good. British commentary is so much worse than it used to be.
    Barry Davies' version was even better - 'and you have to say that's just magnificent'.
    I think that clip may have had the radio commentary attached to it.

And yes, you're dead right about the declining standard of British commentators.

Yeah the Barry Davies commentary is incredible too but I'd heard it a lot before.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information