• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group G - Belgium, Panama, Tunisia, England

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dele Alli, got to improve that attitude. England would be better off with a less talented guy in his place otherwise.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Sterling, Lingard and Alli need to do more if they are all going to start. Rashford and Loftus-cheek both made impacts.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Am I right in thinking that, similar to the TMO in rugby, that the VAR can have a word in the ref's ear when he's missed something?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Phew.

Someone explain how VAR didn’t give both those fouls on Kane please?

Hard work. Some promising moments and some frustrating times. Lots of more fancied sides than us have opened with draws so you’ll take a win like that all day long.

Should breeze past Panama which takes a lot of pressure off that Belgium game. But this is England.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Phew.

Hard work. Some promising moments and some frustrating times. Lots of more fancied sides than us have opened with draws so you’ll take a win like that all day long.

Should breeze past Panama which takes a lot of pressure off that Belgium game. But this is England.
Had to win imo. Anything other than 3 points here and they would have gone into the Belgium game needing a result, and I would not have fancied that at all.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Had to win imo. Anything other than 3 points here and they would have gone into the Belgium game needing a result, and I would not have fancied that at all.
This isn't necessarily true. Presuming we drew this one then beat Panama, if Belgium beat Tunisia then we may have done enough already. But sure, could have put pressure on getting a result from that game to secure qualification.

Could still stuff up against Panama and be in a similar situation anyway.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
This isn't necessarily true. Presuming we drew this one then beat Panama, if Belgium beat Tunisia then we may have done enough already. But sure, could have put pressure on getting a result from that game to secure qualification.

Could still stuff up against Panama and be in a similar situation anyway.
True, but rank as Tunisia were, I think we have to assume they will beat Panama, which would have made the Belgium match precarious to say the least.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
wat

any formation relies on its players to take their chances, these misses wouldn't suddenly become better if England were playing with 4 at the back or whatever.
No, but that wasn't meant to be my point. Maybe 'selection' would have been a better choice of word than 'formation'. But right now, any chance that doesn't fall to Kane stands minimal chance of being converted. Rashford instead of Sterling would improve things insofar as he would double the number of player's who don't panic when in front of goal. It's odd how these things go, but after years of having three attacking midfielders who could take their chances in Gerrard, Lampard and Scholes, now we don't really have any. Not at international level, anyway. Perhaps Lingard comes closest.

Don't get me wrong, I like Southgate and think he's going about things the right way. But he's severely limited by the options available to him.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Likeliest scenario is we'd have been relying on goal difference, unless Tunisia had taken something from their game against Belgium, when we'd really have been in trouble. All academic of course.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Sterling is a better player than Rashford but we can’t rely on him to score. That’s my basic take, I’m tired

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
No, but that wasn't meant to be my point. Maybe 'selection' would have been a better choice of word than 'formation'. But right now, any chance that doesn't fall to Kane stands minimal chance of being converted. Rashford instead of Sterling would improve things insofar as he would double the number of player's who don't panic when in front of goal. It's odd how these things go, but after years of having three attacking midfielders who could take their chances in Gerrard, Lampard and Scholes, now we don't really have any. Not at international level, anyway. Perhaps Lingard comes closest.

Don't get me wrong, I like Southgate and think he's going about things the right way. But he's severely limited by the options available to him.
Well, all the England teams who had supposedly better players to work with didn't exactly fare famously well, so it's not something to be overly concerned by imo.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Really wished Southgate would've had a proper whinge at that now we've won and it doesn't seen like sour grapes.

I don't think theirs was a pen, but if he's given that then both had to be stonewallers with VAR.

Tunisia were fecking dog though, weren't they? Scary we took so long to break them down. Our lack of urgency was a wee bit frustrating to an old schooler like me. I'm not advocating lumping it up at any given opportunity, but it's worth noting both goals came from crosses into the box.

We're not Spain and there's no shame in playing to our strengths.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Well done England. Didn't expect them to get the winner once it got late in the match having not finished so many previous chances, but for once their performance wasn't destined to inflict maximum pain on their fans. Or maybe this is just the hope-building part of that scheme, I'm not sure.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Still trying to figure out how there was only 3 minutes stoppage time in the first half, when the Tunisian 'keeper spent at least 5 minutes on the deck.