• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group G - Belgium, Panama, Tunisia, England

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As if you can read anything into that game

I wanted us to win and share your sentiment about beating the top teams, but there’s no takeaway from a game like that.
Yeah it’s a really weird situation where it’s a World Cup game and everyone wants to talk about it but there’s just nothing to be said. So all that energy sort of goes on really trivial arguments.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Won as many games as England did.

And besides, I'm not even saying they are that good. It's just that every man and his dog are making them out to be a total walkover which is very unwise indeed imo.
Yeah, and in a more competitive group too. I see England are favourites with the bookies, which is probably fair. But Colombia is a big step up in quality from the sides that England have been playing so far (including Belgium's 2nd XI half-arseing it today). Still, it makes next week's game more exciting I suppose.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Yeah I’d make England slight favourites. Really looking forward to it, pick of the second round games after France Argentina. Big opportunity for both teams.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think the discussion about winning the group's so daft.

If you're going to win the tournament, you need to beat the top teams at some point. I'd be concerned that, yet again, when it comes to playing a good opponent, England have come up short.
To be fair it's always exciting to aim for a position higher than last time. Realistically I'm sure you'd take a semi finals exit for England at the start of the tournament

cpr

International Coach
Anyone looking at a semi finals place before the tournament wasn't being realistic TBF

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I meant you'd be grateful for it

I'd have been grateful for a round of 16 elimination for Australia

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
To be fair it's always exciting to aim for a position higher than last time. Realistically I'm sure you'd take a semi finals exit for England at the start of the tournament
I don’t think he would have taken that tbh :laugh:

flibbertyjibber

Anyone looking at a semi finals place before the tournament wasn't being realistic TBF
This, I realistically said that quarters was our limit and we would probably get knocked out then but seeing who we could potentially play if we beat Colombia then there is no reason to think we can't make the semis, the thing is Colombia, Sweden and Switzerland are all thinking exactly the same. Yes they are two tough games but they are both very winnable. It certainly looks a much weaker half of the draw we are in but we still have to do it.