• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group F - Germany, Mexico, Sweden, South Korea

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You just know Germany will score a late equalizing header from a corner or a setpiece after all these counterattacking opportunities wasted by Mexico.

morgieb

What a performance from Mexico. Though Germany did do most of the attacking second half but choked it. Still...

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Excellent game. Well played by both sides.

Germany so near, esp with that incredible shot which hit the outer post.

Mexico need to learn to capitalize on breaks, esp on the passing therein.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Tbf clown is probably harsh. As is dreadful to describe his record. He's clearly a good man manager as all the players like him, and he's not had any disaster tournaments. But given the talent level in the squad his achievements aren't anything particularly special.

I think Werner is great but he might be better suited to playing in a front two like he does for Leipzig (obviously not going to happen with Germany). The bigger issue for Germany was the central midfield. Kroos is obviously an amazing deep playmaker but has to be carried quite a lot defensively. Khedira has never been as industrious a player as many seem to think, and he's now quite old with a long history of injuries. He and Kimmich were just bombing forward and then Kroos and the CBs would be left to deal with counters. If you look at the goal, Hummels feels he needs to win the ball ASAP, and when he gets beaten Boateng, Kroos and Özil are the three deepest players. Özil got criticism for his crap challenge but it's a structural disaster if you have him in that situation in the first place.

Would probably chuck Rudy in there. Pretty boring player but does the basics and could help solidify things a bit. The talent should be enough in the attack. It has the potential to be the best German attack of this generation with Reus finally fit and Werner's emergence. Just need to sort that defending transitions problem out.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Mexico looked exceptional I thought, well done them. Very quick and found a lot of holes in the German defense.

Uppercut

Yeah Khedira is their worst midfielder, any of Gundogan Rudy or Goretzka would be better. Starting Draxler was pretty terrible too.

Their individual quality isn’t what it was. Lots of over-the-hill and out-of-form players in the squad. Their two properly in-form players are Reus and Sane and neither got picked, one was left home. Then they had the worst structure of any team bar Saudi Arabia. Doesn’t look good for Lowe.

Burgey

Can someone explain to me how he Korean fellas challenge just now was any different to the one which drew France’s penalty on Saturday night?

Uppercut

Can someone explain to me how he Korean fellas challenge just now was any different to the one which drew France’s penalty on Saturday night?
He gets far more of the ball and the contact on the player is more so part of the same movement. Gets given 1-2% of the time, maybe 20% outside the box. I reckon France get their one about half the time, possibly more without VAR because most refs won't see the contact on the ball.

Uppercut

This ref is even worse than the one in the Brazil game for letting crystal-clear cynical fouls go. Really works against teams like South Korea who try to dribble through midfield, and in favour of teams like Sweden who go long.

I'd have given Larsson a red for that stamp. Probably deliberate but even if it wasn't, he only ends up there in the process of a deliberate foul.

Last edited:

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This ref is even worse than the one in the Brazil game for letting crystal-clear cynical fouls go. Really works against teams like South Korea who try to dribble through midfield, and in favour of teams like Sweden who go long.

I'd have given Larsson a red for that stamp. Probably deliberate but even if it wasn't, he only ends up there in the process of a deliberate foul.
AWTA. So frustrating if it continues throughout the tournament

I thought it was deliberate.

Spark

Global Moderator
He gets far more of the ball and the contact on the player is more so part of the same movement. Gets given 1-2% of the time, maybe 20% outside the box. I reckon France get their one about half the time, possibly more without VAR because most refs won't see the contact on the ball.
Technically isn't it the case that there's no actual mention of getting the ball in the rules? It's always been strange to me that people will argue that two essentially identically tackles have completely different results if one player misses the ball by 2cm and one barely grazes it.

Uppercut

Technically isn't it the case that there's no actual mention of getting the ball in the rules? It's always been strange to me that people will argue that two essentially identically tackles have completely different results if one player misses the ball by 2cm and one barely grazes it.
The written rules of football don't mention much of anything. The actual rules are 99% unwritten and some of the norms make zero sense. This is one of the most well-established and sensible ones, though.