• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group E - Brazil, Switzerland, Costa Rica, Serbia

James

Cricket Web Owner
17 June 2018
16:00 SAMT (UTC+4)
Costa Rica
Serbia
Cosmos Arena, Samara

17 June 2018
21:00 MSK (UTC+3)
Brazil
Switzerland
Rostov Arena, Rostov-on-Don

22 June 2018
15:00 MSK (UTC+3)
Brazil
Costa Rica
Krestovsky Stadium, Saint Petersburg

22 June 2018
20:00 KALT (UTC+2)
Serbia
Switzerland
Kaliningrad Stadium, Kaliningrad

27 June 2018
Serbia
Brazil
Otkritie Arena, Moscow

27 June 2018
Switzerland
Costa Rica
Nizhny Novgorod Stadium, Nizhny Novgorod

Expo

Banned
Brazil National team improves enormously under the supervision of Tite. They secured an easy 3-0 win against Austria. In previous game Austria defeated Germany. So, in this sense, Brazil has the capability to win the world cup 2018.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Brazil are like the India of football, huge passionate fanbase, historically successful, loved by the neutrals.. :ph34r:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
How the **** can Lee Dixon look at that replay and say there's nothing wrong with Switzerland's goal?

Even spouting the 'contact sport' rubbish.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, it's not like every other game Miranda has ever played in would have prepared him for similar or anything. Must have come as a very big surprise.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Switzerland probably more lucky to escape giving away that late penalty I thought.

I know Serbia also blew lots of chances, but from highlights I've seen so far all the South/Central American teams including the small ones like Peru and Costa Rica, are great at getting themselves in good positions in front of goal but have been terrible at finishing with the last touch or two.

Uppercut

Very weak refereeing in this game. Brazil eventually realised it was a bad idea to take any chances because every time they broke through a line they got hauled down with no further punishment. Exactly what they did to Colombia last time so I’m not especially sympathetic but it’s going to lead to a lot more negative football if the rest of the tournament is refereed like this.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Very weak refereeing in this game. Brazil eventually realised it was a bad idea to take any chances because every time they broke through a line they got hauled down with no further punishment. Exactly what they did to Colombia last time so I’m not especially sympathetic but it’s going to lead to a lot more negative football if the rest of the tournament is referred like this.
Yeah, pretty sure a few of the Swiss team kicked Neymar more often than they kicked the ball tbh.

Uppercut

Yeah, pretty sure a few of the Swiss team kicked Neymar more often than they kicked the ball tbh.
Most fouled player in a WC game since 1998. Though strangely everyone seems to just be hating Neymar for it. I wonder if this was the reaction to Pele in 1966.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
How the **** can Lee Dixon look at that replay and say there's nothing wrong with Switzerland's goal?

Even spouting the 'contact sport' rubbish.
It was an astonishing decision because referees usually blow up for any contact whatsoever from a forward on a defender. And this was genuinely a foul, compared to the merest hint of physical contact that referees use to penalise forwards most of the time.
Almost as astonishing to see the penalty awarded against Nigeria when their defender wrestled a Serbian when trying to defend a corner. It was the right decision, but it's so rare that you see a referee having the balls to award a penalty. Lets hope they do that against the bigger name countries as well, although I reckon they probably won't.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Most fouled player in a WC game since 1998. Though strangely everyone seems to just be hating Neymar for it. I wonder if this was the reaction to Pele in 1966.
I suspect that the public perception of Pele was more sympathetic, although you could probably find some articles at the time justifying the physical approach from Bulgaria and Portugal. Neymar does have the reputation of being a bit of a dick, and it's not just the silly haircut. Maybe that's behind some people's reaction to his treatment yesterday.

Last edited: