• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group D - Argentina, Iceland, Croatia, Nigeria

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Musa's first touch for the opener was just unworldly.

Bergkampesque and there's no higher praise. Doubt we'll see better technique this tournament.

Great second half, but a good result for yer Argies, sadly.
Jesus had a similarly great one yesterday, was offside though.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I feel like he lacks (or he's lost it lately) Ronaldo's knack of pacing himself and saving his best for the crucial part of the season. Ronaldo's mastered it in recent seasons. Could also be due to Ronaldo just being fitter in general and not having to carry his team so much. In the first half of the season, Barcelona looked largely ordinary but Messi and their defence were getting them results every week.

Which did net him a league title, but Barcelona have so many that it barely registers. And no one even notices them winning the Copa Del Rey every year. As long as Ronaldo dominates the CL knockout rounds and performs in international tournaments, he's going to keep winning Ballon D'Ors.

Last edited:

Uppercut

I feel like he lacks (or he's lost it lately) Ronaldo's knack of pacing himself and saving his best for the crucial part of the season. Ronaldo's mastered it in recent seasons. Could also be due to Ronaldo just being fitter in general and not having to carry his team so much. In the first half of the season, Barcelona looked largely ordinary but Messi and their defence were getting them results every week.

Which did net him a league title, but Barcelona have so many that it barely registers. And no one even notices them winning the Copa Del Rey every year. As long as Ronaldo dominates the CL knockout rounds and performs in international tournaments, he's going to keep winning Ballon D'Ors.
Could be over-extrapolating based on a couple of performances here. Messi scored a ridiculously good hat-trick for Argentina to get them to the World Cup two competitive games ago.

vcs

That was in the first half of the season, so it fits neatly into my hypothesis. :p

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Messi is simply being crushed by an enormous heap of pressure and expectation. He is close to looking like an absolutely broken man, and it is sad to see. Ronaldo. despite clearly being Portugal's talisman does not have to live with the same burden. He's already won a majo comp with Portugal and the differences in cultural attitudes and expectations in relation to the national teams between Portugal and Argentina are massive. Bloke has already been pressured out of international retiremrent once and he's expected to essentially carry the entire team (and by proxy the entire nation) on his back and make a silk purse out of a pigs ear. It's not often I feel genuine empathy for a pro sportsperson, but I certainly do in his case.

Last edited:

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Messi is simply being crushed by an enormous heap of pressure and expectation. He is close to looking like an absolutely broken man, and it is sad to see. Ronaldo. despite clearly being Portugal's talisman does not have to live with the same burden. He's already won a majo comp with Portugal and the differences in cultural attitudes and expectations in relation to the national teams between Portugal and Argentina are massive. Bloke has already been pressured out of international retiremrent once and he's expected to essentially carry the entire team (and by proxy the entire nation) on his back and make a silk purse out of a pigs ear. It's not often I feel genuine empathy for a pro sportsperson, but I certainly do in his case.
I blame Maradona and Kempes.

vcs

So this was basically Sachin's entire professional career.

Clearly, Sachin >>> any professional sportsman who's ever existed

OverratedSanity

If Messi can't handle the expectations of a mere 43 million people, imagine how badly he might've crumbled if he was Indian and had to face the pressure of carrying the hopes of 1.3 billion.

Not everyone can be as great as Sachin. Good on sledger for bringing up this excellent point.

Burner

International Regular
I rooted for Argentina last WC but when Messi rage quit, he/they lost my support. Would still prefer if they didn't go out in the group stages though

Burgey

So this was basically Sachin's entire professional career.

Clearly, Sachin >>> any professional sportsman who's ever existed
No one expected India to win anything when Tendulkar played.