• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to Russia 2018

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The Ireland’s avoided Italy and Croatia in the draw. NI v Switzerland and Denmark v Republic. Still wouldn’t put much money on either. I assume Italy will get past Sweden by hook or by crook.

the big bambino

International Captain
Actually I don't think its fair Oceania get an automatic spot. Even if they did I'd prefer Australia stay in Asia as the competition assists our improvement and our participation in Asia gives our team and fans constant quality competition and matches. Personally I've loved the move to Asia.

Rather than give Oceania an automatic spot the teams there should play off for the right to play in the Asian group and the additional spot go to Asia.

the big bambino

International Captain
Better still take a few spots from Europe. Seems like every Duchy, principality and autonomous region gets a gig courtesy of the high historical tariffs protecting that coddled conference.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think countires from outside of Yurp and South America have made the semis twice ever; the US in black and white in 1930 and South Korea, benefitting from some rather friendly refereeing decisions, when they hosted in 2002.

the big bambino

International Captain
Don't fret. All I suggested was an extra half quota go to Asia from Oceania. Not unreasonable and beneficial for Oceania if they could compete with Asian sides regularly.

Then followed a sniffy remark about diluting standards. Hence my response. And when Belgium, Iceland and Serbia qualify and the two Irelands and some other balkanised Yugoslavian republic still have a good show then I think it can be made with at least a little justification. Besides is not the Eurocentric cup and another guaranteed spot for the most populous continent is justifiable.

The point about a non Euro team advancing due to friendly reefereeing certainly is audacious.

EDIT: I see by 2026 the situation is more favourable for Asia and Africa.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Belgium aren't the worst shout in the world to win the whole thing if they get their **** together. Seriously good side on paper.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Don't fret. All I suggested was an extra half quota go to Asia from Oceania. Not unreasonable and beneficial for Oceania if they could compete with Asian sides regularly.

Then followed a sniffy remark about diluting standards. Hence my response. And when Belgium, Iceland and Serbia qualify and the two Irelands and some other balkanised Yugoslavian republic still have a good show then I think it can be made with at least a little justification. Besides is not the Eurocentric cup and another guaranteed spot for the most populous continent is justifiable.

The point about a non Euro team advancing due to friendly reefereeing certainly is audacious.

EDIT: I see by 2026 the situation is more favourable for Asia and Africa.
I wouldn't have a problem with combining the Asia/Oceania qualifying and giving them two spaces. My only gripe was Oceania having to play-off with South America. It's a lower standard of football and more often than not the South American side is going to win. That's why Australia dipped out of Oceania in the first place.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Sepp Blatter has received a personal invitation to the World Cup from Russia. Presumably they still owe him three suitcases full of money.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Does seem a bit stiff NZ get a South American team when the potential fifth Asian qualifier get one from CONCACAF.

Would probably make more sense, at least geographically, if Oceania played Asia 5 & the two Americas played off but saying FIFA is bent is very much ursine mammals defecating in wooded areas level of the bleedin' obvious.

Global sport though, so why not global qualifying? Reckon (say) the Netherlands or Chile would have more of a shake than (say) Panama or Saudi Arabia.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Does seem a bit stiff NZ get a South American team when the potential fifth Asian qualifier get one from CONCACAF.

Would probably make more sense, at least geographically, if Oceania played Asia 5 & the two Americas played off but saying FIFA is bent is very much ursine mammals defecating in wooded areas level of the bleedin' obvious.

Global sport though, so why not global qualifying? Reckon (say) the Netherlands or Chile would have more of a shake than (say) Panama or Saudi Arabia.
Probably because rather than being the "World" Cup it would likely end up the "European and a handful of South American Nations" Cup tbh.

the big bambino

International Captain
I wouldn't have a problem with combining the Asia/Oceania qualifying and giving them two spaces. My only gripe was Oceania having to play-off with South America. It's a lower standard of football and more often than not the South American side is going to win. That's why Australia dipped out of Oceania in the first place.
Playing the 5th best South American team after a lead up of Pacific island nations isn't the best preparation, whether it was Aus or NZ who won the Oceania zone. Getting into Asia was more than that just a better chance of getting to the WC though. It was a great achievement from our board back then. Something I didn't think they were capable of achieving. It means more matches and competitions against a consistently better standard and the greater revenue too. One of the unexpected and enjoyable outcomes has been the Australia - Japan rivalry which is starting to develop a history and a tradition.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah fair, but they're still pretty young as a team, aren't they?
Ish, although De Bruyne & Hazard, E will both be 27 by the tournament so this is arguably the World Cup we're most likely to see them closest to their peaks.

Defence is actually arguably on the slide slightly. Vertonghen & Kompany both past 30 now and Alderwiereld is getting there.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah fair, but they're still pretty young as a team, aren't they?
A lot of them will still be around in 2022 but 2018 looks like their best shot.

Bambino couldn't really have chosen a worse example. It's hard to overstate how good the Belgian squad is on paper. They would probably quite easily beat a combined Asia+Oceania+Africa+CONCACAF team.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Belgium aren't the worst shout in the world to win the whole thing if they get their **** together. Seriously good side on paper.
Not a chance. Mini version of Holland in that they implode when it comes to the tournament despite having a great squad.