• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Semi Final 2 - West Indies v India (31st March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

James

Cricket Web Owner
Discussion surrounding the 2nd Semi Final of the World Cup between West Indies and India (Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai).

Niall

International Coach
I'd be very tempted to bin Yuvraj, that was a horror innings today and not been impressed with him for a long time and no spanking the most overrated attack in Pakistan about is not enough to convince me otherwise. Options to replace are limited but I'd be tempted to look at Negi, massive hitter and useful enough bowler. Its not an ideal replacement, but no interest in brining Rahane into the middle order whatsoever.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Dhawan should be dropped for Rahane.

Don't forget Rahane was the highest run-scorer among all Indian batsmen in last year's IPL. He has a fantastic record in his home-ground (in Ranji, IPL and Internationals) where the semifinal will be played. Dhawan is not a good T20 batsman. He is riding for too long on the back of a good T20 knock in Asia Cup final against a mediocre T20 team Bangladesh.

The semifinal will be a tough contest between 2 greatest T20 batsmen in the world and some very good spinners. (Ashwin+Jadeja) vs Gayle will be mouthwatering, and so will be (Badree+Benn) vs Kohli.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Indians batsmen are all very attacking I'd put Rahane in instead of Dhawan or yuvraj. Use him in a floating batting position depending on how quickly runs are required

smash84

The Tiger King
india should win this comfortably imo, barring a gayle century (highly highly unlikely) i don't see WI beating them

Ilovecric

U19 Cricketer
It's amazing WI is missing Darren Bravo, Pollard and Narrine yet they are so competitive. Disappointing Taylor hasn't played well recently but I remember him out bowling Steyn in a T20 vs SA awhile back. But I guess pace just won't work on these India grounds and it explains it exclusion of Steyn as well to a degree. WI not surprising failed to reach a small total which raises question about them beating a team like India but it took a miracle for India to beat Bangladesh a few days ago. So I don't think one can really extrapolate much from WI's game against Afghanistan. Some West Indians still complain about Kenya beating them in a one off game years ago lol.

The game between WI and India will be super exciting - lots more skill and talent will be on display compared with the other semi. Raw power vs accurate placement of Kohli will be something. I feel like WI missed a trick by not giving Sammy and Russell enough game time batting - instead of sending in Ramdin etc early I think sammy and russell should have been given an opportunity in the earlier games to build an innings. Their approach towards low scoring games is too leisurely as well and they need to realize 20 overs come very quickly so always thinking time will be available will only put pressure on the players. This is why Gayle is essential to calm the nerves and ruffle the feathers of the Indian attack. They know him well and Kohli use to captain him in the IPL so their strengths and weaknesses will be shared. West Indies was the team to expose Raina's vulnerability to the bouncer so expect Russell to target him lol.The team that win this game will likely become the champs.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Provided Yuvraj is fit, I think India should go in unchanged. Team is fine, top order are just underperforming, but they've got credits in the bank.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Provided Yuvraj is fit, I think India should go in unchanged. Team is fine, top order are just underperforming, but they've got credits in the bank.
Yeah this is why I would have rather faced Australia in the final, just about. I don't think we'll see Rohit, Dhawan and Raina go through the whole tournament quietly.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah this is why I would have rather faced Australia in the final, just about. I don't think we'll see Rohit, Dhawan and Raina go through the whole tournament quietly.
I think Raina has been worked out with the short ball. Never been successful against Australia even on subcontinent wickets. He's had a shocker of a tournament so far, not sure the English attack would be able to expose it though.

Rohit's had a shocker as well, but he plays a couple of delightful shots before doing stupid (not yesterday, where he looked crap)

Shady Slim

International Coach
I think Raina has been worked out with the short ball. Never been successful against Australia even on subcontinent wickets. He's had a shocker of a tournament so far, not sure the English attack would be able to expose it though.

Rohit's had a shocker as well, but he plays a couple of delightful shots before doing stupid (not yesterday, where he looked crap)
yeah but not including carlos, who has not normally been bowled out, and dreruss, don't think the windies have a real short ball menace

91Jmay

International Coach
Problem for me is the Rohit/Dhawan combo doesn't rotate the strike well enough. Both plod along to about 12 off 12 then get out. Seems like whatever format they play they play in ODI mode.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I find it weird India tour of Windies four test tour came into being just before the India v WI semi, tstl.

Rahane is playing as per MS.