• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Semi Final 1 - New Zealand v England (30th March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

James

Cricket Web Owner
Discussion surrounding the 1st Semi Final of the World Cup between New Zealand and England (Feroz Shah Kotla, Delhi).

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Damn tough to pick this. NZ with the form they're in should be favourites but England have a very well balanced side.

Just about backing NZ to win.

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah, NZ will rightfully be favorites. I hope we bat first, because anything above 160 on a 'normal' pitch will put massive pressure on NZ. Our spinners need to turn up this time, but I don't see NZ players as good against spin as Angelo is.

Will be a great game. Willey first up against Guptil will be crucial, if he can trap him in-front with a bit of nibble would be massive for us.

smash84

The Tiger King
I think England will beat the kiwis, English batting is slightly better this tournament and the bowling is evenly matched

smash84

The Tiger King
Don't agree with that at all. But, yeah, England's batting has been better than ours.
santner and sodhi have been going great guns tbf but i expect them to trip up about now. Their run has been ridiculous and failure has to be around the corner surely. I don't think this tournament has been an accurate reflection of their real quality. I might get egg in my face in about a year's time or so but currently i stick by my assessment :p

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
We're going to crush Kiwi hearts, souls and minds.

Root to score big and prove himself to be the best bat in any form.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
santner and sodhi have been going great guns tbf but i expect them to trip up about now. Their run has been ridiculous and failure has to be around the corner surely. I don't think this tournament has been an accurate reflection of their real quality. I might get egg in my face in about a year's time or so but currently i stick by my assessment :p
Sodji legitimately has what it takes to be a gun t20 and even ODI bowler. This has been apparent for quite a while in domestic cricket.

NZ's batting definitely the weak suit.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, NZ will rightfully be favorites. I hope we bat first, because anything above 160 on a 'normal' pitch will put massive pressure on NZ. Our spinners need to turn up this time, but I don't see NZ players as good against spin as Angelo is.

Will be a great game. Willey first up against Guptil will be crucial, if he can trap him in-front with a bit of nibble would be massive for us.
Williamson is every bit as a good a player of spin if not better, the way he knocked around Shakib on a turgid track was just wondrous. The rest not so much.

SkyBlue

U19 Debutant
I pick NZ definitely.

The only thing going for England is they'll be playing at Kotla but NZ have adapted tremendously well at each venue they've been at.

NZ have the batting quality to deal with England's pedestrian bowling attack while England's batsmen would have to deal with the best bowling attack of the tournament.In such circumstances,i'd definitely pick the team with the better bowling options.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Strange defense to your argument that NZ/Eng bowlers are evenly matched tbh, You may turn out to be right, but don't think that argument (or effectively non-argument) does you any favours. Just sounds like an assertion based on nothing.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Angelo isn't particularly good against spin, is he? Maybe in t20 he is.
Wait wasn't it against pace that Angelo fans were lauding him as the best going around against prior to Wagner making him look like a total Muppet? It's now spin is it?

Niall

International Coach
Wait wasn't it against pace that Angelo fans were lauding him as the best going around against prior to Wagner making him look like a total Muppet? It's now spin is it?
Yeah people raved about him against pace due to his heroics in England mainly, he was never flagged as a spin mug to be fair, but definitely don't remember many screaming about him been some sort of master against spin before Yesterday. Slight overreaction I think. Numerous batsmen I'd take over him v spin. Root, Kane, Smith, Sarfraz, (who Pakisan decided to hide down the order in a spin dominated world cup:laugh:)