• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Semi Final 1 - New Zealand v England (30th March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, no objection to that call. He's all class, and his knock in the SA game in this tournament was incredible.

vcs

It's so close that people will be saying the opposite if Kane fires NZ to victory and Root goes cheaply on the day. In other words, it's close enough that it comes down to personal preference.

BTW, Virat is ahead of both in limited-overs formats. :)

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Wait wasn't it against pace that Angelo fans were lauding him as the best going around against prior to Wagner making him look like a total Muppet? It's now spin is it?
He's good against swing and spin....Wagner-type bowler is the most likely to get him out

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Think with KW we're starting to see that he's so focused on the match result that his dedication to the craftmanship of batting is not as much a focus as it once was.

Probably the same with Virat too.

There's now more of a pragmatism as opposed the the purity we'd been seeing in the first few years. Don't get me wrong, batting well is still the best way to win matches, but the short term method to winning matches may slightly override long term batting awesomeness.

Reckon Root has retained the pure batting motivation slightly more and is likely to come out tops as a batsman.

Zinzan

Think with KW we're starting to see that he's so focused on the match result that his dedication to the craftmanship of batting is not as much a focus as it once was.

Probably the same with Virat too.

There's now more of a pragmatism as opposed the the purity we'd been seeing in the first few years. Don't get me wrong, batting well is still the best way to win matches, but the short term method to winning matches may slightly override long term batting awesomeness.

Reckon Root has retained the pure batting motivation slightly more and is likely to come out tops as a batsman.
There's some truth to KW batting with a little bit more restriction and preoccupation with the added responsibility of captaincy, one of the reasons I initially felt it may have come a year or two early.

But even before then I felt Root edged him out slightly. Nothing between them at Test & ODI level, but Root is the more likely to destroy T20 attacks.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
But even before then I felt Root edged him out slightly. Nothing between them at Test & ODI level, but Root is the more likely to destroy T20 attacks.
LGICCRANKINGS.COM

KW is ranked 6th in the world for T20 batting, Root is ranked 53rd. Root is a great batsman but KW is so far ahead of him in this regard it's not even a contest. There are three batsmen from Scotland ranked higher than Root in this format.

Zinzan

LGICCRANKINGS.COM

KW is ranked 6th in the world for T20 batting, Root is ranked 53rd. Root is a great batsman but KW is so far ahead of him in this regard it's not even a contest. There are three batsmen from Scotland ranked higher than Root in this format.
Just a brilliant example of when ranking systems have no bearing on actual reality due to small sample size, place in the batting order, where games were played etc.

Your mentioning of the 3 Scots only emphasises this point.

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
LGICCRANKINGS.COM

I've tried to defend you a few times but when you post nonsense like this it becomes impossible. Using rankings is legitimately the dumbest thing ever. Unless you believe Hamilton Masakadza is better than Dave Warner, in which case you need to find a new sport.

Root is ranked low because he has barely played much, however when he has played he has some excellent, world class knocks.

However Root has hit 17 sixes in 370 balls vs Williamson who has hit 11 sixes in 750 balls. So by your normal logic isn't Root massively better?

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Strange defense to your argument that NZ/Eng bowlers are evenly matched tbh, You may turn out to be right, but don't think that argument (or effectively non-argument) does you any favours. Just sounds like an assertion based on nothing.
it is an assertion based on whatever little i've seen of the NZ spinners. I don't rate them based on that. Which is why i said i could have egg on my face if they turn out world beaters due to my ignorance.

So am basing my analysis mainly on NZ batting vs Eng batting and I think the English have batted really well this tournament.

91Jmay

International Coach
That's rather my point. The rankings reflect the fact that Root simply has not played enough T20 for anyone to say he is better than KW in that format.
Yeah, that is bull**** and I like how you ignored all the other points.

Root has played 18 matches, not like he has just batted in a handful. He has a better average and much better strike rate. I'm not saying Root is for sure better, but pretending there is a gulf between the two like you are doing is totally ridiculous.

LightningStrike

U19 Debutant
England all the way. NZ have been too good - law of averages state they are due a failure.

Perhaps why Windies cunningly lost to Afghanistan to get a loss out of the way. :happy: