• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

20th Match - South Africa v Sri Lanka (28th March)

Who will win this match?

• Sri Lanka

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SkyBlue

U19 Debutant
Its not so much about this particular world cup where just like Australia ,they dint manage their resources properly but if you keep disappointing one world cup after another people will raise questions about the mentality of this team especially when their team is stacked as hell.
They look too soft for me,maybe we should start calling them Soft Africa.

AB is starting to look like Zlatan of cricket.All that godly talent but rarely has played a great knock in a crunch game in a world cup event.Maybe that NZ game in last yr's world cup would've changed things for him and his team but sadly it wasnt to be.I'll be pretty sad if he retires without winning a world cup tbh.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Root's innings is not what cost SA the game. The extras the SA bowlers bowled us what cost SA the game. Even with Root's innings if SA bowls properly they still come out on top.

Only 5 vs afghanistan and run out for 1 when it really mattered vs west indies. Would call that pretty poor in my book.

Sorry don't buy this about no one fancy our chances of winning the tournament. Before it started besides India(the obvious fav) most had SA right up there. The side had the talent but poor match selection and buckling under the pressure is what cost them yet again.
I never said SA bowled well. I said Root had a good innings, if he had got out, even with our poor bowling, Eng would probably not have made that score.

You have very high standards if you think two good 50`s out of 4 innings is poor. Ideally you would like him to have kicked on and got an 70+ but he did not bat badly, he was just not brilliant. None of the SA batsmen were brilliant and most were poor.

Nobody had a clear indication of who would be great in this WC. All the teams had obvious weaknesses and strengths. But there were no clear favourites after Ind. SA are liked as a team worldwide and thus supported well, particularly in India. But I`m not overly surprised by us getting knocked out before the semis, disappointed not surprised.

I would genuinely like to know who you would have picked in the squad and then team? As far as the squad goes there could be an argument made that the Morkel brothers and possibly Harmer should have been there... me I don`t think they would have made a difference. I was pretty happy with the team selection for the first game... hindsight being perfect site maybe you would not have played Steyn or Rabada but you would not have expected them both to bowl so poorly. And as I have stated numerous times now, Morris, Wiese and Duminy covering our 5th/6th bowling option was always a big gamble.

Last edited:

Stefan9

International Debutant
I never said SA bowled well. I said Root had a good innings, if he had got out, even with our poor bowling, Eng would probably not have made that score.

You have very high standards if you think two good 50`s out of 4 innings is poor. Ideally you would like him to have kicked on and got an 70+ but he did not bat badly, he was just not brilliant. None of the SA batsmen were brilliant and most were poor.

Nobody had a clear indication of who would be great in this WC. All the teams had obvious weaknesses and strengths. But there were no clear favourites after Ind. SA are liked as a team worldwide and thus supported well, particularly in India. But I`m not overly surprised by us getting knocked out before the semis, disappointed not surprised.

I would genuinely like to know who you would have picked in the squad and then team? As far as the squad goes there could be an argument made that the Morkel brothers and possibly Harmer should have been there... me I don`t think they would have made a difference. I was pretty happy with the team selection for the first game... hindsight being perfect site maybe you would not have played Steyn or Rabada but you would not have expected them both to bowl so poorly. And as I have stated numerous times now, Morris, Wiese and Duminy covering our 5th/6th bowling option was always a big gamble.
The squad was fine, match day selections and executions was the issue. Selection committee did their job. Players and coaching staff didn't.

I would have played behardien in nagpur instead of rossouw for instance. Especially having lost duminy his slow medium pacers would have been very useful, grant elliot had already shown how usefull it is in this tournament and the slower pace cutters of wiese was more effective then either morris or rabada on the night. Also would never send rossouw ahead of ab in a t20 game.

Also steyn should have played the afghanistan game and gotten back in form. We needed him for the west indies game ahead of morris/rabada. Having decided to take him you had to back him and they didn't.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
The squad was fine, match day selections and executions was the issue. Selection committee did their job. Players and coaching staff didn't.

I would have played behardien in nagpur instead of rossouw for instance. Especially having lost duminy his slow medium pacers would have been very useful, grant elliot had already shown how usefull it is in this tournament and the slower pace cutters of wiese was more effective then either morris or rabada on the night. Also would never send rossouw ahead of ab in a t20 game.

Also steyn should have played the afghanistan game and gotten back in form. We needed him for the west indies game ahead of morris/rabada. Having decided to take him you had to back him and they didn't.
I agree with everything you said here. Had to back Steyn after picking him. Think that Rabada may have been getting tired... been spearhead of the attack since Steyn was injured. I don`t think he is/was ready or used to that workload.

Burner

International Regular
I backed SA to atleast get to the semis actually. They would have been the first team I picked,

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
nobody thought SA had a chance of winning? They went in favs with the bookies in every match.