View Poll Results: Who will win this match?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • South Africa

1 100.00%
  • Sri Lanka

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 20th Match - South Africa v Sri Lanka (28th March)

International Coach
    Thirimanne still getting picked for SL in either Tests or T20s is so hilarious.

U19 Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by testcricketer View Post
    I wish people would stop saying south africa chocked everytime we lose a game, do we choke! heck yeah, but that doesnt mean that everytime we lose a game, it's cause we chocked
    TBF in this world cup we did choke. Should never lose defending 230 and shouldn't lose when defending 9 of the last over on the nagpur pitch.

Can't defend them this time round. They let themselves and a nation down again...

To show the difference when it really mattered for India Virat Kohli stood tall, when it really matter for SA where were our so called super stars putting up the performances?

Only player who performed each and every game was tahir and qdk. The rest were inconsistent to poor.
    Last edited by Stefan9; 29-03-2016 at 02:22 AM.

International Captain StephenZA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan9 View Post
    TBF in this world cup we did choke. Should never lose defending 230 and shouldn't lose when defending 9 of the last over on the nagpur pitch.

Can't defend them this time round. They let themselves and a nation down again...

To show the difference when it really mattered for India Virat Kohli stood tall, when it really matter for SA where were our so called super stars putting up the performances?

Only player who performed each and every game was Tahir and QDK. The rest were inconsistent to poor.
    I don't think Amla had a bad tournament... Duminy also started showing some form before getting injured.... again! I think his loss in the WI game was critical for us. Root played a class innings and we need to give him credit.

But ultimately nobody thought we had a chance of winning. The reality is that the top 6 where uncertain until the last second with Amla not sure if he was playing and AB not sure if he would play 1,2,3 or 4... But our biggest single problem in both the shorter formats of the game is that we do not have any genuine all-rounders. If you look at the other top teams, they have players that are chosen for their batting or bowling and then have the ability to contribute elsewhere. Morris, Wiese and Behardien are just not in the same class. For many years we had great all-rounders with one of the best of all time in our team for 20 years, it was the reason we where always competitive in ODI`s even when we did not have some of the worlds best batsmen. We have had no genuine quality all-rounder since Kallis`s retirement, the great hope was Duminy and between his injuries and poor form enough said.

We will not be truly competitive until we either change our mindset to play 5 bowlers and 6 batsmen and trust the 6 to do the job or else some of the young all-round talent starts coming through and showing the quality required.
    "Here are the opinions on which my facts are based." - Humanity
    "Man occasionally stumbles on the truth, but then just picks himself up and hurries on regardless." - Anonymous

U19 Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by stphndbsn View Post
    I don't think Amla had a bad tournament... Duminy also started showing some form before getting injured.... again! I think his loss in the WI game was critical for us. Root played a class innings and we need to give him credit.

But ultimately nobody thought we had a chance of winning. The reality is that the top 6 where uncertain until the last second with Amla not sure if he was playing and AB not sure if he would play 1,2,3 or 4... But our biggest single problem in both the shorter formats of the game is that we do not have any genuine all-rounders. If you look at the other top teams, they have players that are chosen for their batting or bowling and then have the ability to contribute elsewhere. Morris, Wiese and Behardien are just not in the same class. For many years we had great all-rounders with one of the best of all time in our team for 20 years, it was the reason we where always competitive in ODI`s even when we did not have some of the worlds best batsmen. We have had no genuine quality all-rounder since Kallis`s retirement, the great hope was Duminy and between his injuries and poor form enough said.

We will not be truly competitive until we either change our mindset to play 5 bowlers and 6 batsmen and trust the 6 to do the job or else some of the young all-round talent starts coming through and showing the quality required.
    Root's innings is not what cost SA the game. The extras the SA bowlers bowled us what cost SA the game. Even with Root's innings if SA bowls properly they still come out on top.

Only 5 vs afghanistan and run out for 1 when it really mattered vs west indies. Would call that pretty poor in my book.

Sorry don't buy this about no one fancy our chances of winning the tournament. Before it started besides India(the obvious fav) most had SA right up there. The side had the talent but poor match selection and buckling under the pressure is what cost them yet again.
    Last edited by Stefan9; 29-03-2016 at 05:54 AM.

International Coach
    Any of the big sides could have conceivably won this tournament. A team with the batting talent of SA + a performing Tahir should be disappointed to be going home before semi finals.

Its not so much about this particular world cup where just like Australia ,they dint manage their resources properly but if you keep disappointing one world cup after another people will raise questions about the mentality of this team especially when their team is stacked as hell.
    They look too soft for me,maybe we should start calling them Soft Africa.

AB is starting to look like Zlatan of cricket.All that godly talent but rarely has played a great knock in a crunch game in a world cup event.Maybe that NZ game in last yr's world cup would've changed things for him and his team but sadly it wasnt to be.I'll be pretty sad if he retires without winning a world cup tbh.

Root's innings is not what cost SA the game. The extras the SA bowlers bowled us what cost SA the game. Even with Root's innings if SA bowls properly they still come out on top.

Only 5 vs afghanistan and run out for 1 when it really mattered vs west indies. Would call that pretty poor in my book.

Sorry don't buy this about no one fancy our chances of winning the tournament. Before it started besides India(the obvious fav) most had SA right up there. The side had the talent but poor match selection and buckling under the pressure is what cost them yet again.
    I never said SA bowled well. I said Root had a good innings, if he had got out, even with our poor bowling, Eng would probably not have made that score.

You have very high standards if you think two good 50`s out of 4 innings is poor. Ideally you would like him to have kicked on and got an 70+ but he did not bat badly, he was just not brilliant. None of the SA batsmen were brilliant and most were poor.

Nobody had a clear indication of who would be great in this WC. All the teams had obvious weaknesses and strengths. But there were no clear favourites after Ind. SA are liked as a team worldwide and thus supported well, particularly in India. But I`m not overly surprised by us getting knocked out before the semis, disappointed not surprised.

I would genuinely like to know who you would have picked in the squad and then team? As far as the squad goes there could be an argument made that the Morkel brothers and possibly Harmer should have been there... me I don`t think they would have made a difference. I was pretty happy with the team selection for the first game... hindsight being perfect site maybe you would not have played Steyn or Rabada but you would not have expected them both to bowl so poorly. And as I have stated numerous times now, Morris, Wiese and Duminy covering our 5th/6th bowling option was always a big gamble.
    Last edited by StephenZA; 29-03-2016 at 09:11 AM.

U19 Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by stphndbsn View Post
    I never said SA bowled well. I said Root had a good innings, if he had got out, even with our poor bowling, Eng would probably not have made that score.

You have very high standards if you think two good 50`s out of 4 innings is poor. Ideally you would like him to have kicked on and got an 70+ but he did not bat badly, he was just not brilliant. None of the SA batsmen were brilliant and most were poor.

Nobody had a clear indication of who would be great in this WC. All the teams had obvious weaknesses and strengths. But there were no clear favourites after Ind. SA are liked as a team worldwide and thus supported well, particularly in India. But I`m not overly surprised by us getting knocked out before the semis, disappointed not surprised.

I would genuinely like to know who you would have picked in the squad and then team? As far as the squad goes there could be an argument made that the Morkel brothers and possibly Harmer should have been there... me I don`t think they would have made a difference. I was pretty happy with the team selection for the first game... hindsight being perfect site maybe you would not have played Steyn or Rabada but you would not have expected them both to bowl so poorly. And as I have stated numerous times now, Morris, Wiese and Duminy covering our 5th/6th bowling option was always a big gamble.
    The squad was fine, match day selections and executions was the issue. Selection committee did their job. Players and coaching staff didn't.

I would have played behardien in nagpur instead of rossouw for instance. Especially having lost duminy his slow medium pacers would have been very useful, grant elliot had already shown how usefull it is in this tournament and the slower pace cutters of wiese was more effective then either morris or rabada on the night. Also would never send rossouw ahead of ab in a t20 game.

Also steyn should have played the afghanistan game and gotten back in form. We needed him for the west indies game ahead of morris/rabada. Having decided to take him you had to back him and they didn't.

The squad was fine, match day selections and executions was the issue. Selection committee did their job. Players and coaching staff didn't.

I would have played behardien in nagpur instead of rossouw for instance. Especially having lost duminy his slow medium pacers would have been very useful, grant elliot had already shown how usefull it is in this tournament and the slower pace cutters of wiese was more effective then either morris or rabada on the night. Also would never send rossouw ahead of ab in a t20 game.

Also steyn should have played the afghanistan game and gotten back in form. We needed him for the west indies game ahead of morris/rabada. Having decided to take him you had to back him and they didn't.
    I agree with everything you said here. Had to back Steyn after picking him. Think that Rabada may have been getting tired... been spearhead of the attack since Steyn was injured. I don`t think he is/was ready or used to that workload.

I backed SA to atleast get to the semis actually. They would have been the first team I picked,

nobody thought SA had a chance of winning? They went in favs with the bookies in every match.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information