• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The tournament Overall

smash84

The Tiger King
I know we are not even into the semis yet but I think this edition of the T20 WC is probably the best there has been.

The pitches have offered variety with some absolute belters to some real mines. Also the contest between bat and ball has been generally good accompanied by some of the usual brain implosions from pak, bang etc.

Some awesome matches as well Ind vs ban, nz vs pak, sa vs eng, eng vs afg, and also some of the others.

Thoughts?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Really enjoyed the 2007/8 one which was excellent in it's own right. Really enjoying this one a lot. Have seen most of the matches when usually I skip almost any T20 tournament. Both these tournaments have their own significance too. While 2007/8 helped get T20 into the international and league stage, this gives T20 an acceptance of sorts as a serious cricket game among cricket fans to some extent.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I did enjoy the first couple of Champions Trophies with T20 sides from various countries a fair bit. Those tournaments aren't bad conceptually. Just need to plan and execute them well. We have too many T20 tournaments right now, so glad we do t have it right now but wouldn't mind seeing it after a few years every few years if we can find space for it.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I never thought I'd say this in a million years, but I'm actually enjoying it more than last year's ODI World Cup. I got so bored of watching teams rack up 300-plus in almost every game, and it's been really refreshing to see bowlers have so much of a say in these games.

Maybe I'm slowly becoming a T20 convert.

But still, like every ICC tournament, it needs more associates.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Some one mentioned the 2020 T20 World cup should have 20 teams..

Last edited:

Niall

International Coach
20 might be to many really, but 10 is way to few, 4 groups of 4 would be perfect, but I know that will never happen, I'd settle next time for 12 sides, not ideal but better than 10:D

smash84

The Tiger King
I never thought I'd say this in a million years, but I'm actually enjoying it more than last year's ODI World Cup. I got so bored of watching teams rack up 300-plus in almost every game, and it's been really refreshing to see bowlers have so much of a say in these games.

Maybe I'm slowly becoming a T20 convert.

But still, like every ICC tournament, it needs more associates.
Quite agree with this. The games generally have had a good balance between bat and ball and i would definitely rate this over the ODI WC last year. Which is saying something because for me Tests > ODIs > T20 generally

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Add my name to the bandwagon of people who are enjoying this more than any previous T20. I'm not sure why. The fact that the Black Caps are 3 from 3 might have something to do with it. I think the truth is that this is the first time I have watched a T20 tournament while considering it a legitimate form of cricket.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Completely agree, this tournament has been awesome so far, I don't really count the preliminary round with the minnows as part of the tournament personally. I feel teams should be decided prior to the actual tournament. Outside of that it's been awesome, the pitches have been wonderful so far (haters can keep hating), and more importantly perhaps, teams are a lot more equal than they have been in the past. Bangladesh and England are much improved, SL and Pak are lacking in quality a bit, but for the most part teams are relatively even. I also like this format instead of the 4 groups of 3 where the points don't even carry over from the first round to the second.

vcs

I'm enjoying it so far but feel as if I shouldn't, what with it being T20 and all.

So meh

Daemon

Fit Starc, in form Boulthee and a 2010 Malinga would be awesome. The fast bowling seems lacking a bit in this tournament.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Completely agree, this tournament has been awesome so far, I don't really count the preliminary round with the minnows as part of the tournament personally. I feel teams should be decided prior to the actual tournament. Outside of that it's been awesome, the pitches have been wonderful so far (haters can keep hating), and more importantly perhaps, teams are a lot more equal than they have been in the past. Bangladesh and England are much improved, SL and Pak are lacking in quality a bit, but for the most part teams are relatively even. I also like this format instead of the 4 groups of 3 where the points don't even carry over from the first round to the second.
Really enjoyed the Associate matches as well though I would term it as qualifiers. Afghanistan has been fun to watch. Was nice to see a new team in Oman as well.

Howe_zat

Audio File
This tournament has lacked some complicated NRR nerdery. The final few games in both groups are either dead rubbers or winner-take all effective knockouts. Rather disappointing for those of us who consider getting the calculator out to be an important part of following a world tournament.

LightningStrike

U19 Debutant
I think the amazing tone for this tournament was set when NZ slaughtered India on a home fixed wicket. After that you got the feeling anything could happen.......