Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: The tournament Overall

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Contra View Post
    Completely agree, this tournament has been awesome so far, I don't really count the preliminary round with the minnows as part of the tournament personally. I feel teams should be decided prior to the actual tournament. Outside of that it's been awesome, the pitches have been wonderful so far (haters can keep hating), and more importantly perhaps, teams are a lot more equal than they have been in the past. Bangladesh and England are much improved, SL and Pak are lacking in quality a bit, but for the most part teams are relatively even. I also like this format instead of the 4 groups of 3 where the points don't even carry over from the first round to the second.
    Really enjoyed the Associate matches as well though I would term it as qualifiers. Afghanistan has been fun to watch. Was nice to see a new team in Oman as well.

International Regular
    What were the odds on no subcontinental teams making the semis?

Quote Originally Posted by RossTaylorsBox View Post
    What were the odds on no subcontinental teams making the semis?
    Pretty high actually, Pak and SL no where near as good as in previous conditions even entering this tournament.

Cricket Web Staff Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    This tournament has lacked some complicated NRR nerdery. The final few games in both groups are either dead rubbers or winner-take all effective knockouts. Rather disappointing for those of us who consider getting the calculator out to be an important part of following a world tournament.
    honestbharani and zorax like this.
    I get a nod, the tiny smile that doesn't come with teeth
    Maybe you don't know who I am

U19 Debutant
    I think the amazing tone for this tournament was set when NZ slaughtered India on a home fixed wicket. After that you got the feeling anything could happen.......
    Pratters likes this.

Before this,2009 tournament was the one i enjoyed most.

-Australians blown away by Gayle-storm and getting bamboozled by Sri Lankan spinners
    -An overrated Indian team getting bounced out of the tournament
    -The Dilscoop and Afridi's trademark celebration both of which i believe were born during this tournament.It was criminal to not award Afridi Man of the Tournament.
    -South Africa winning every game including warm-up games only to bottle it hard at the semi-final stage
    -Pakistan scripting a fairytale come from behind world cup victory.Never would have i thought they'd end up winning this after they got battered by England of all teams in their opening game.And ofcourse who can forget about the opening game of that WC.Stuart Broad

All 3 venues were terrific as well.Idk ,i've enjoyed watching World Cups in England.I loved the '99 edition too.

But yeah,this tournament has been excellent and very competitive.Hope we get a new winner again.
    Last edited by SkyBlue; 27-03-2016 at 02:15 AM.

So far, the standout players have come from West Indies' top order, England's middle order, India's pace attack and New Zealand's spin attack.

Flem274*, 91Jmay and zorax like this.

Cricket Spectator Kusum_parjapat's Avatar
    yupppzz

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    This tournament has lacked some complicated NRR nerdery. The final few games in both groups are either dead rubbers or winner-take all effective knockouts. Rather disappointing for those of us who consider getting the calculator out to be an important part of following a world tournament.
    Yeah I was hoping for a team to have to chase 140, but to go through have to chase it in 12 overs.

It turns out the NRR nerdery is found in the women's comp. Going into the last game (England v Pakistan), the table looks like this:

So the possible scenarios are:

1. England win and top the group, Pakistan out
    2. Pakistan win but not by enough to make a difference to NRR, and so England top the group with Pakistan out
    3. Pakistan win by enough to move England down below WI, but not enough to overtake them, so Pakistan are still out
    4. Pakistan win by enough to move ahead of England, knocking them out and WI topping the group
    5. Pakistan win by enough to top the group, knocking England out in the process.
    zorax likes this.

U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    It turns out the NRR nerdery is found in the women's comp. Going into the last game (England v Pakistan), the table looks like this:

So the possible scenarios are:

1. England win and top the group, Pakistan out
    2. Pakistan win but not by enough to make a difference to NRR, and so England top the group with Pakistan out
    3. Pakistan win by enough to move England down below WI, but not enough to overtake them, so Pakistan are still out
    4. Pakistan win by enough to move ahead of England, knocking them out and WI topping the group
    5. Pakistan win by enough to top the group, knocking England out in the process.
    England went out and god damned slaughtered any hope the NRR nerds had.

yep its been awesome. I think 2007 was good but had a vibe of no one knowing wtf they are doing, which was fun but less professional. This one is professional.

The other tournaments were pretty good too I felt. Ultimately a lot depends on how good the semis and finals are I guess.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    yep its been awesome. I think 2007 was good but had a vibe of no one knowing wtf they are doing, which was fun but less professional. This one is professional.

The other tournaments were pretty good too I felt. Ultimately a lot depends on how good the semis and finals are I guess.
    2010 was clearly the best
    LightningStrike likes this.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    I have to say... after England lost to Netherlands in their home WT20, their performance that 2010 edition was amazing...
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Cricket Spectator
    It has been a fantastic tournament.. Full of close matches.. There was something for everyone..

I hated the 50 overs World Cup that was played last year.. It was such a one sided wc.. But this definitely has been a great tournament..

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information