• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

12th Match - Afghanistan v England (23rd March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

James

Cricket Web Owner
Discussion surrounding the 12th Match of the World Cup between Afghanistan and England (Feroz Shah Kotla, Delhi).

91Jmay

International Coach
Liam Dawson will play I think. Can't go worse than the seamers, I'd open with him. See if we can sneak through a couple cheap overs early.

Howe_zat

Audio File
England need to aim not just to win here, they need to take the chance to get their NRR up over SA and SL.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
England need to aim not just to win here, they need to take the chance to get their NRR up over SA and SL.
That's a dangerous thought and England may lose if they play with that thought especially if batting first.

Howe_zat

Audio File
That's a dangerous thought and England may lose if they play with that thought especially if batting first.
Yeah, they should treat it as any other game, in which ultimately you still want to win by as many as possible.

Still, I think they'll probably go out if they don't improve their NRR to get them over the two sides they're in competition with atm.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Despite all my predictions going horribly wrong so far I'm going to really stick my neck on the line and go for a convincing victory for england with roy and hales getting us off to a flyer with one of the two tonning up (if we bat first that is).

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I hope Afghanistan bats first, poses a good total i.e. 170+ and then puts pressure on England with their spinners.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Out of England, Sri Lanka and South Africa who are vying for the second spot in the group........I think England will have the best chance of grabbing it outright without it coming down to NRR.

Unless I'm being a dunce......we just need to win our last 2, which realistically are our two easiest games in the group. If we do that and the West Indies beat South Africa we'll go through.

SL and SA have tougher games comes to come than England do.

That said, of course there is always the chance this wont go to plan so a big win against the Afghanis will certainly be good insurance.

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah, win this by a big margin and beat the Lankans and we should be through really. Unless the Windies lose to SA and then destroy Afgan.

The quality of cricket has been meh so far but there isn't a dominant team aside from NZ so the tournament is wide open.

Tom Flint

International Regular
We may need to get runs on the board in the first six before the spinners come on, particularly rashid khan who looks top drawer

91Jmay

International Coach
Rashid Khan got absolutely mauled by De Villiers to be fair. Reckon there is enough footage on him now that he won't be a massive threat (touch wood)

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
It's weird that Afghan's batsmen have largely competed and gotten to par scores while their bowlers haven't been international standard.

I would like to see their bowlers correct that at least once in this tournament. Particularly Dawlat and Rashid.

Tom Flint

International Regular
I think de villiers played himself in and then took rashid apart which he has also done to better bowlers than rashid before, but his first couple of overs to de kock were brilliant and I struggled picking his wrongen on the replay let alone in real time!

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
tbf Rashid was bowling the 17th or 18th over to a set AB. After the first 1-2 hits, the young Rashid panicked and started dishing fulltosses and such. He has a great googly, but he's also young and inexperienced so Stanikzai should give him 4 overs between 7-14 imo.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Rashid Khan got absolutely mauled by De Villiers to be fair. Reckon there is enough footage on him now that he won't be a massive threat (touch wood)
TBF he should have had abd caught on the boundary second ball of that over. Fielder missed it and it went for four, totally different over if that is taken.

Tec15

First Class Debutant
England luck out with the toss. Hopefully the Afghans push them hard and limit their NRR.