View Poll Results: Who will win this match?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • New Zealand

9 81.82%
  • Pakistan

2 18.18%
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: 11th Match - New Zealand v Pakistan (22nd March)

11th Match - New Zealand v Pakistan (22nd March)

Discussion surrounding the 11th Match of the World Cup between New Zealand and Pakistan (Punjab Cricket Association IS Bindra Stadium, Mohali, Chandigarh).

Cricket Web Staff Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    Interesting game. Will NZ be through if they win?

You have to back them on form even if Pakistan's pace attack gives them trouble. They've defended two undefendable totals so far and Pakistan's batting is still struggling.
    I get a nod, the tiny smile that doesn't come with teeth
    Maybe you don't know who I am

Cricket Web Staff Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Will NZ be through if they win?
    Yes, it turns out

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    It's pretty strange as on paper our batting is much better than our bowling right now. Wouuldn't be surprised to see a game where we get absolutely smashed and chase down a decent total. Think our spinners have been fairly flattered (though that doesn't mean they're necessarily spuds).
    Direbirds FTW!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    420 BLAZE IT

U19 Vice-Captain
    If Pakistan bowl first I would fancy them to run through the kiwis and go on to win

Reckon Pakistan's bowling is being seriously overrated by a lot of people. Some in the media have been calling it the best attack in the comp. But 90% of the time Wahab is a bit of pie thrower really, Amir is decent but as of yet Wasim he ain't, Afridi is a good containing bowler but he's not going to run through sides, and Irfan's bounce doesn't disguise the fact that he's really very hittable. NZ should win, even with their frail batting lineup.
    zorax likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

U19 Vice-Captain
    It probably is the best attack in the comp to be fair

Amir is freaking awesome, I seriously don't get how you can just call him decent.

It could be the best atack in the comp but their selectors are morons and for some reason have decided they don't need spinners.
    Zinzan likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    "You don't look like me in this world without being firm on what you want to do."

- Hashim Amla.
    Quote Originally Posted by DriveClub View Post
    He bowls with a lot of heart, his heart makes the ball bounce more

Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    Amir is freaking awesome, I seriously don't get how you can just call him decent.

It could be the best atack in the comp but their selectors are morons and for some reason have decided they don't need spinners.
    Eh, I mean he's clearly the best of their bowlers, and maybe calling him decent is selling him a bit short, but I certainly don't see him as being totes amazeballs either. Thing is, he's still bowling like an 18 year old - the control, patience and consistency that would make him a genuinely great bowler is still missing.

International Vice-Captain Niall's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    Reckon Pakistan's bowling is being seriously overrated by a lot of people. Some in the media have been calling it the best attack in the comp. But 90% of the time Wahab is a bit of pie thrower really, Amir is decent but as of yet Wasim he ain't, Afridi is a good containing bowler but he's not going to run through sides, and Irfan's bounce doesn't disguise the fact that he's really very hittable. NZ should win, even with their frail batting lineup.
    Somewhat under estimating Amir, but i agree with the gist of this. Riaz is more miss than hit in this format, while Irfan isn't that good and never really runs through anyone. Afridi is very average these days and most certainly not a frontline spinner. I like Wasim, but he is still pretty inexperienced.

NZ have a stronger batting line up, better bowling attack and better fielders, the only thing Pakistan have that is superior is a much nicer kit.

Its t20 so anything can happen etc, but you look at Pakistan's results in this format in the last few months or so and how well NZ are playing and its tough to see how NZ lose.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Zinzan's Avatar
    Yup, Bahnz slightly underrated Amir here. He hasn't been Wasim Akram, granted, but I think he's looked pretty impressive given he's only been back on the circuit for 5 minutes. Still gets it through at 145+ and swings it late, not sure one could ask for too much more.'

I do agree that Pakistan do get overrated overall though. NZ should be disappointed to lose this game, they seem the much better side.

yeah, kiwis should win provided they can provide an iota of pressure to the pakistan batting. No matter how good the bowling the batting is Associate level and will sink Pak

btw wouldn't be surprised if Sami gives NZ a bit of a scare. I remember he did that a while back in ODIs in the beginning of his career didn't he? He's looked slightly improved than his usual self too. PEWS to comment soon now
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Yeah NZ was an opposition Sami enjoyed in his youth, but that was primarily because their batsmen had a real weakness against express pace bowling. I don't think that's intrinsically true about this lineup, but Sami is a gun in general so he'll clean them up anyway.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    People go into politics to change the world. That's a bad idea. The only good reason to go into politics is to sweep government away so that the world can change itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    All systems of government are therefore totalitarian dictatorships in disguise

Cricket Web Staff Member Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Lol criticising Amir that he is not Wasim is like criticising every batsman in the world because they are not Bradman or Richards.

As far as the assessment of Pakistan's bowling attack goes, there are two ways of looking at it, one more applicable in current scenario, and one not so much. If we go by what their respective skillsets and abilities as a whole, then it's a pretty dam good pace attack, one of the best in LO cricket at the moment. Irfan doesn't run through sides, yes that's not his job or skillset. He gets breakthroughs quite consistently in LO (mainly ODI) cricket, he often comes back in his second spell to break a partnership. 1-2 wickets per match is usually his return and that's what he is there for, not a 6fer.

Having said that, whether the skillset this attack has is relevant and applicable to the current tournament, given the conditions? Not so much. This is not their fault, this is a failure of epic proportions by the selection committee that picked a squad with 5 seamers and no frontline spinner, because they thought the tournament was being played in South Africa.

The PSL had plenty of spinners among the top wicket takers, yet none of them were picked. So asking Wahab Riaz to go and bowl cutters at Eden Gardens when that's not what his skillset is, and then criticising him for failing to do so is stupid. He should not have been picked, not because he isn't good enough, but because these are not the conditions for him. There should have been 3 spinners in the side, one frontline spinner, supported by Imad Wasim and Afridi.
    Last edited by Black_Warrior; 20-03-2016 at 09:12 PM.
    Cricket's moral worldview:

"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Warrior View Post
    Lol criticising Amir that he is not Wasim is like criticising every batsman in the world because they are not Bradman or Richards.

No, Wasim was no Bradman of bowling
    indiaholic likes this.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information