• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

11th Match - New Zealand v Pakistan (22nd March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's not always true - from what I've heard, most NZ fans didn't know much about Inzamam before he broke our hearts in the 1992 World Cup.

Niall

International Coach
he isn't very good otherwise you may have heard about him
He is ok against spin, but yeah NZ won't be losing sleep over him. Hafeez is a poor T20 player as his numbers over the years show, and as he can't bowl its no major loss.

However it does mean Sharjeel will play which when you look at the gun spinners that NZ have is bad news, he genuinely has no clue against any sort of spin whatsoever. Then you have Shezhad opening with him eating up the dot balls as if his life depended on it. :wacko:

Ideally they would get Sarfraz up the order as he actually plays spin quite well, but as its Pakistan they will open with him in England and Australia, and hide him down the order in Asia. :laugh:

Its T20 so anything can happen, but its going to need a monster performance from Umar Akmal or Amir for Pakistan to have much of a chance. If NZ are anyway serious about winning this then they need to be beating average sides like Pakistan comfortably.

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
I love the chat in here. Super jinx-ville right now.

BCs to bottle it and resume bitch status at Boom Boom's feet.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah Chappell had it in for ross for years. Dunno if it's changed. Not too fussed tbh
Sure, sure.

someone in this thread mentioned Chappelli was going all out in his praise on the morning of Taylor being in the 230s, which was surprising to me despite the score because he's never rated The Boss and was grudging in his praise for the 100 and onwards.
where's ian chappell run off to? he's been smirking and implying ross is a dirty biffer since 2008
In fact I could kind of handle a series loss if Ross went big and finally shut ian chappell up about him being a minnow bashing slogger.
it hurt chappell so much to spit that praise out

Rippin n Tearin

Cricket Spectator
The BCs have gone really well in the first two games but as someone else said, they have seriously benefited by batting first in both games. I'm super impressed with how our spinners (and bowlers) have gone, but I'm a little nervous that they have been flattered a bit given the conditions. That being said, Sodhi for me is the key to NZ winning this tournament. His form over the last 12 months or so has IMO been really impressive and he has been unlucky not to have played more for NZ in that time. He's been very good so far this WC so I hope he keeps that up. I'm not that convinced about Santers bowling. I rate him hugely as a player with a bucket load of potential that he is fast fulfilling, but whether he can keep up theses bowling stats which I think NZ will need to win in India I am not so sure. Same goes for N McCullum. I've never been a big fan. I guess my point is that I think we have one good spinner and a couple guys who have overachieved so far this tourney and I don't think that will be enough to keep on winning.

On the batting front I think we have the lineup to do it although it does look a little fragile at times. I'd like to see Hesson/KW being a little more flexible on the lineup though given the game situation and pitch conditions. I feel like Anderson, Taylor, Elliot,and perhaps even Ronchi, Santer could float most going as high as four given the right situation and conversely others dropping right down to 8.

The other weak link, but one we can do little about given the squad we have is Ronchi. His batting for me is a real disappointment. So many times lately (the last year+) he has come out potentially to play that classic 15 to 20 ball cameo and has typically failed. That kind of innings can often be a 20 run difference in the team total and I used to feel Ronchi was quite capable of that, now unfortunately he tend s to be a bit of a waste of space in the lineup.

So overall I reckon we win this next game, and likely go undefeated in pool play. But to keep progressing from there we will need our top 4 to step up and the bowlers to keep up there great work.

Zinzan

Yeah Chappell had it in for ross for years. Dunno if it's changed. Not too fussed tbh
Funny thing is I don't actually recall Chappelli getting unreasonably stuck into Taylor, and I'm normally acutely aware of such criticism. He was certainly and naturally very complimentary in his commentary of Taylor's 290 at Perth, I remember that much.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Chappell during commentary is a bit more diplomatic as he feels that is reaching a wider audience. Chappell during analysis on Cricinfo or when writing columns is when the bias comes out. I have never seen him praise a single captain other than Clarke and Smith. This is a guy who thought Graeme Smith was a defensive and negative captain. His special bias against Dhoni is also well known.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I really just think Ian Chappell has a bias towards Ian Chappell, and people who he thinks are like Ian Chappell, play with a similar mindset to Ian Chappell and respect the legacy of Ian Chappell. It's not that nationalistic really.

He liked McCullum as a captain, right?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I really just think Ian Chappell has a bias towards Ian Chappell, and people who he thinks are like Ian Chappell, play with a similar mindset to Ian Chappell and respect the legacy of Ian Chappell. It's not that nationalistic really.

He liked McCullum as a captain, right?
He rightfully criticized Baz for his ADHD tactics I the first test while Ian Smith was orgasming at every field change.

I don't hate him, tbh.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Chappell is a mixed bag but compared to the rest of the 9 team he's basically the god of commentary, so I can forgive him a lot.

Zinzan

I've always liked Chappell's commentary. Might have a boring voice, but always seems to appreciate the finer points that only a thoughtful cricket brain would.

91Jmay

International Coach
Chappell during commentary is a bit more diplomatic as he feels that is reaching a wider audience. Chappell during analysis on Cricinfo or when writing columns is when the bias comes out. I have never seen him praise a single captain other than Clarke and Smith. This is a guy who thought Graeme Smith was a defensive and negative captain. His special bias against Dhoni is also well known.
I'd suggest Graeme Smith was a pretty defensive captain.