• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

11th Match - New Zealand v Pakistan (22nd March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Santner is 8W @ 8.75 economy 5.83 and Sodhi 5W @ 11.40 economy 4.75 after facing India, Australia and Pakistan.

WTF.
Does anyone know if the BCs semifinal is going to be on another "viciously turning wicket" (to quote KW) like Nagpur or Dharamsala? The idea of a New Zealand cricket team going to India and spinning out the opposition (inc. India themselves) has an almost Cool Runnings feel to it.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Comparing the Akmal of 2009 with this..well, it doesn't speak well of Pakistan's managing of young talent. Could still be a serious player but I fear this innings will have big repercussions.
Absolutely. The reason I don't have hope about him turning it around is that he has already spent 7 years in international cricket. That's almost a career for some players. It's just too long and if he still hasn't found his confidence, or a style or approach that works for him, that helps him score runs, win games, it's unlikely from here onwards.

In the context of yesterday's game, yes he deserves all the criticism he is getting.

But if you look at his overall career, it has been a complete mismanagement and just lack of understand of how to develop this player. For example, U Akmal used to try to play those improvised 'dinky' shots behind the wicket about a few years back. He wasn't very successful, and whenever he would fail, he would get a severe reprimand from the coaching staff.

Yesterday New Zealand had 3 players on the on side for him, knowing his natural area of strength is through that deep mid wicket region, and cramped him up for room on the leg side. This is where a few years ago, he would have tried to improvise and make use of the gaps on the off side. Yesterday he tried no such thing. That's where you know that he has actually regressed as a player.

The freedom and naivety that a young batsman has to try out outrageous stuff has been killed inside him. This is where another coaching staff/management would have said to him "ok you are trying to play these shots but it's not working, that's fine..let us work with you and figure out where you are going wrong and how we can help you get it right through practice'. But here he is ridiculed, criticised and asked to play the way they want him to.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh ok. I am not aware of all that. I am just impressed by the tactical approach NZ have had in LO cricket, plus from his interviews he comes across as a keen student of the game.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, absolutely true. The captaincy thing was a disaster and not Hesson's finest hour at all, but he's redeemed himself in my eyes.