• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cloud over India-Pakistan match

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Well the chief minister himself said he can't provide security. I am not sure what BCCI were waiting for. The management of this tournament is such an absolute disaster on so many levels.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I read yesterday that around 45 Pakistani diplomats have applied to make the trip to watch the matches. This stands at extreme odds with the claimed security perception.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I read yesterday that around 45 Pakistani diplomats have applied to make the trip to watch the matches. This stands at extreme odds with the claimed security perception.
These are the words of the chief minister of HP himself.

Perhaps you should have volunteered to offer your GI Joe batallion for security.

"It is understood that Himachal Pradesh chief minister Virbhadra Singh, who heads the Congress government in the northern state, wrote to the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA), saying the match should not be played in Dharamsala, keeping in mind prevailing local sentiment in Himachal over the recent terrorist attacks in Pathankot, which lies close to the Pakistan border, near the intersection of the states of Punjab, Himachal Pradesh, and Jammu and Kashmir.

"Many incidents have taken place in recent past, like Pathankot attack," Singh told the media on Tuesday. "Soldiers from Himachal lost their lives in J&K. If our war veterans don't want Indo-Pak match to be held in Dharamsala, Himachal cricket association should accept their condition."

BCCI tells Himachal CM not to politicise hosting of India-Pakistan World T20 match in Dharamsala | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

It's not so much about what could happen..more about the reluctance from the HP CM to have the match at all

"At this point of time, Pakistan's match should not be in Dharamsala. The BCCI should either cancel or shift the match to other state to honour the sentiments of families of martyrs," he said

He also insisted that if the ex-servicemen protest against the match then the state police would not initiate any action against them.
http://www.aninews.in/newsdetail6/s...-from-centre-himachal-cm-on-indo-pak-t20.html

http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/repor...-tie-should-not-be-held-at-dharamsala-2184093

Australia cancelled Bangaldesh tour despite repeated assurances from both Bangladesh govt and cricket board of full 100% security. Not one cricket team today will agree to tour if the local government sends messages like these.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Good to see the Pakistan match move to Kolkata

I just read how Rohit Sharma responded to journalists when asked a question about Mohammad Amir, and I absolutely didn't like it. I hope Amir gets him for a golden duck at the Eden Gardens (and India wins after that).

G.I.Joe

International Coach
These are the words of the chief minister of HP himself.

Perhaps you should have volunteered to offer your GI Joe batallion for security.

"It is understood that Himachal Pradesh chief minister Virbhadra Singh, who heads the Congress government in the northern state, wrote to the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA), saying the match should not be played in Dharamsala, keeping in mind prevailing local sentiment in Himachal over the recent terrorist attacks in Pathankot, which lies close to the Pakistan border, near the intersection of the states of Punjab, Himachal Pradesh, and Jammu and Kashmir.

"Many incidents have taken place in recent past, like Pathankot attack," Singh told the media on Tuesday. "Soldiers from Himachal lost their lives in J&K. If our war veterans don't want Indo-Pak match to be held in Dharamsala, Himachal cricket association should accept their condition."

BCCI tells Himachal CM not to politicise hosting of India-Pakistan World T20 match in Dharamsala | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

It's not so much about what could happen..more about the reluctance from the HP CM to have the match at all

Have not asked for security from Centre: Himachal CM on Indo-Pak T20 , AniNews.in
I'm
Himachal Pradesh CM Virbhadra Singh says Indo-Pak World T20 tie should not be held at Dharamsala | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis

Australia cancelled Bangaldesh tour despite repeated assurances from both Bangladesh govt and cricket board of full 100% security. Not one cricket team today will agree to tour if the local government sends messages like these.
I am well aware of what's been said. That's not a security concern as much as a matter of propriety he's bringing up. Dharamshala happens to house a lot of war veterans and their families, and he's saying it would be improper and insulting to them to hold the match there. He's not suggesting that the war veterans intend to rock up to the stadium guns in hand. A bunch of people protesting something does not make it a security concern.

Then there's the political angle. HP is Congress ruled and the BCCI currently happens to have BJP decision makers in charge.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Those 45 diplomats lining up for visas speaks more about the ground reality than any amount of manufactured concern. Unless your diplomats have a death wish, of course. There is absolutely no need for non essential persons to make such a dangerous trip.

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Good to see the Pakistan match move to Kolkata

I just read how Rohit Sharma responded to journalists when asked a question about Mohammad Amir, and I absolutely didn't like it. I hope Amir gets him for a golden duck at the Eden Gardens (and India wins after that).
His toe is still hurting I guess.

Aaron510

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Personal opinion Pakistan shouldn't be in this world cup...They shouldn't tour india.. or take parts in any even that is played in India..

it sounds like Pakistan is running after BCCI and india everytime when it comes to playing cricket or tours.. India has no interest in playing with Pakistan.... India didn't tour pak.. or played pak in U.A.E...last year... and even now.. when Pakistan has security concern..BCCI continued to ignore and delayed them as much as possible..

Every time something happens related to politics.. The first thing India does is cut cricketing ties.. it is time that Pakistan and pcb.. stand up and do the same...

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I think PCB made a mistake by making it about BCCI and PCB. This is not a BCCI tournament and everyone knows how BCCI treats the other cricket boards who are not CA or ECB. This is an ICC tournament, and PCB should have made it very clear to ICC the genuine security concerns. The threats by various disaparate groups against the India-Pakistan clash was not new, and they should have informed ICC about it straight away..and then made it very clear just like CA did, that they were genuinely going to boycott if it was not taken seriously.

CA were able to make a serious threat of boycott and everyone took it seriously because the general public couldn't actually care less about the Bangladesh tour nor the U19 cricket world cup. Problem for PCB is that the general public actually want Pakistan to take part in this tournament..so PCB couldn't go all out with their threat.

If they wanted to boycott it, they should have informed iCC a week or two earlier when these threats were taking place. Australia were able to get away with a boycott despite hardly any major security issue in Bangladesh, least of all an Australia specific threat. PCB always knew that end of the day, the would have to come to a tournament like this despite their being a Pakistan specific threat (as in the protesters don't actually have a problem with any other team but Pakistan), so they couldn't do what CA did.

Anyway, I am hearing rumours that West Bengal government has provided some kind of security assurance. So I am expect them to fly out tomorrow. But it's just horrible preparation for the team where you don't know if you are travelling or not, and it would certainly effect their mental preparation unfortunately.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Btw, the funniest thing about this whole facade is the comments of the BCCI secretary "In our world, spoken word is enough". This reminds me of the bad Bollywood action films with such dialogues being mouthed by Amitabh or Mithun or Sanjay Dutt or Salman Khan. :laugh: :laugh: It sounds much funnier in hindi of course.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Btw, the funniest thing about this whole facade is the comments of the BCCI secretary "In our world, spoken word is enough". This reminds me of the bad Bollywood action films with such dialogues being mouthed by Amitabh or Mithun or Sanjay Dutt or Salman Khan. :laugh: :laugh: It sounds much funnier in hindi of course.
He's probably playing to the gallery to cover up the embarrassment of his home association losing the game, but he's a typical SC politician so it wouldn't surprise me if he honestly believes that.

I think the ICC's over-reacted here. The CM had promised security cover but he said that he wouldn't sanction physical violence against the protesters, which seems like a reasonable stance to take.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Pakistan already missed one warm up and their next warm up is on 12th? Their first match is on 16th. Decision can't keep pending. Either Pakistan is participating or not. Time to make a call ASAP.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
India needs to make them feel secure in whatever way they want. There is no doubt in my mind that any match of Pakistan in India will need the highest amount of security. This is hundred times more serious than the Australia in Bangladesh discussion. You don't need terrorists or political outfits to attack Pakistani players - there are many common people in India who are so dumb and polarised that they'll happily thrash Pakistani players if given a chance. I am completely with Pakistan in this debate - the onus lies on India to satisfy any doubts they have over security.

(and vice versa if Indian team tours Pakistan in future)