• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Malinga steps down as captain, Mathews to lead in World T20

MaxGlayn

Banned
Lasith Malinga has stepped down as Sri Lanka's T20 captain ahead of the World T20 in India, but will remain part of the squad. Angelo Mathews will lead the team in his place. The team is hopeful Malinga can be available for their first match, on March 17, though that is dependent on his recovery over the next week.

Sri Lanka have also made two other changes to their squad for the World T20 - Lahiru Thirimanne and Suranga Lakmal have been brought in to replace Jeffrey Vandersay and Niroshan Dickwella.

Malinga had offered to step down as captain after concerns had grown over his slow recovery from a knee injury. He had handed Sri Lanka Cricket a letter voicing reservations about continuing as captain, as he could no longer guarantee participation in Sri Lanka's full campaign. The overuse injury to his left knee had kept him out of competitive cricket for three months. Though he returned to play one Asia Cup match, he has been sidelined for almost two weeks since.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
The correct decision for me and so glad we have a new selection panel with aravinda as chair, Sanga and Kalu included.I think it's the right decision to bring thirrimanne back and also lakmal is a useful addition to the squad. A lot of people are banging about about thirri being too slow but imo we need someone to steady the innings and bat through and he can do this. I know t20 is about upping the scoring rate but midpoint if all our batsmen try to to do that and we get rolled for 100 getting out to sully shots.. not sure that jayasuriya should have have been retained and would have preferred priyanjan myself,but hey ho that's the squad..

YorksLanka

International Debutant
yeah wtf. Why would Malinga ever be captain?
originally it was because Mathews was injured and also to give him a break from all three formats but it was proved to be a silly idea..to be fair, chandimal has done well when he has captained the team but I think that angie is the right choice..

Niall

International Coach
originally it was because Mathews was injured and also to give him a break from all three formats but it was proved to be a silly idea..to be fair, chandimal has done well when he has captained the team but I think that angie is the right choice..
Lets not forget Malinga while officially captain, it was Kumar and Mahela calling all the shots before they retired.:ph34r: