• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Second Round- Group 1 - Sri Lanka, South Africa, West Indies, England, Afghanistan

James

Cricket Web Owner
General Discussion surrounding Group 1 of the Second Round involving Sri Lanka, South Africa, West Indies, England, Group B Winner

16 March
England v West Indies
Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai

17 March
Sri Lanka v Afghanistan
Eden Gardens, Kolkata

18 March
England v South Africa
Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai

20 March
South Africa v Afghanistan
Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai

Sri Lanka v West Indies
M. Chinnaswamy Stadium, Bangalore

23 March
England v Afghanistan
Feroz Shah Kotla, Delhi

25 March
South Africa v West Indies
Vidarbha Cricket Association Stadium, Nagpur

26 March
England v Sri Lanka
Feroz Shah Kotla, Delhi

27 March
West Indies v Afghanistan
Vidarbha Cricket Association Stadium, Nagpur

28 March
South Africa v Sri Lanka
Feroz Shah Kotla, Delhi

Last edited:

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Windies squad:

Darren Sammy (capt), Samuel Badree, Sulieman Benn, Darren Bravo, Dwayne Bravo, Andre Fletcher, Chris Gayle, Jason Holder, Sunil Narine, Kieron Pollard, Denesh Ramdin, Andre Russell, Marlon Samuels, Lendl Simmons, Jerome Taylor .

Seriously strong

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
not sure how long it takes to get banned but England facing WI first with Narine in the team is a downer for England. Would be a big disadvantage him playing against England and then getting banned straight away (but again not quite sure how it will work)

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
He's still banned from bowling in Internationals so if he doesn't pass the test next month his selection's going to look more than a little stupid.

91Jmay

International Coach
Liam Dawson named in England's 15-man squad for World Twenty20 | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Eoin Morgan (Middlesex) (Capt)
Moeen Ali (Worcestershire)
Sam Billings (Kent)
Jos Buttler (Lancashire)
Liam Dawson (Hampshire)
Steven Finn (Middlesex)
Alex Hales (Nottinghamshire)
Chris Jordan (Sussex)
Adil Rashid (Yorkshire)
Joe Root (Yorkshire)
Jason Roy (Surrey)
Ben Stokes (Durham)
Reece Topley (Hampshire)
James Vince (Hampshire)
David Willey (Yorkshire)

Pretty much as expected. Rashid likely be our key player but I like the make up of the side. We will have a chance.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Hales
Roy
Root
Buttler
Morgan
Stokes
Billings
Moeen
Willey
Rashid
Finn

That'd be the XI I'd be going with from that squad. Looks incredibly strong.

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah, it is almost exactly the same as our 50 over team :laugh: Depending on how Roy looks I might go Moeen to open and Topley in to give us 6 bowling options.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Dawson's a bit random IMO. I always find it weird when uncapped players get named in these squads unless they're really young bolters or there's been a shock retirement. There have been so many games between the last WT20 and now to give Dawson a run in and instead they wait until it's time to name the squad before considering him.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He has a disgracefully bad batting record in T20 cricket as well. You'd have to think he's been selected primarily as a bowler, but even though his bowling record is decent in the format I've seen him bowl and I think I'd find that even weirder. I think Samit and Ansari both would've made more sense, although I guess fielding probably counted against Samit.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, it is almost exactly the same as our 50 over team :laugh: Depending on how Roy looks I might go Moeen to open and Topley in to give us 6 bowling options.
Yeah I'd definitely be batting Moeen somewhere in the top seven, with either Roy or Billings missing out. Batting down to ten in T20 is usually just a waste of resources, particularly if it means your sixth bowler is Joe Root.

theegyptian

Dawson was alway on the cards having outbowled Parry in both t20 and 50 over series against Pak a. Given that two spinners (ali and rashid) are almost certain to be in the team i think there was definite need for a third spinner in the squad. Parry was found out a bit in Pak in the end. They just waited for his 40mph delivery and most of the time they got right back and shovelled it for 6 over the leg side - rather than Parry's intended scenario of them running down the wicket and getting stumped.

Weren't really any alternatives either. Ansari isn't even back bowling yet (or wasn't last month) because of his finger. Dunno who else there was. Briggs? well he's been found out.

theegyptian

He has a disgracefully bad batting record in T20 cricket as well. You'd have to think he's been selected primarily as a bowler, but even though his bowling record is decent in the format I've seen him bowl and I think I'd find that even weirder. I think Samit and Ansari both would've made more sense, although I guess fielding probably counted against Samit.
I think he's definitely been selected as a bowler. He'll bat maybe 9 or 10 if he plays. Also a very good fielder iirc.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Been a great few months of him, strange to think that Will Smith was bowling ahead of him for Hants last season, pleased for him though.

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah, we have so little spin depth it is a joke. Dawson is no worse than many others and is an absolute gun fielder.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Dawson's a bit random IMO. I always find it weird when uncapped players get named in these squads unless they're really young bolters or there's been a shock retirement. There have been so many games between the last WT20 and now to give Dawson a run in and instead they wait until it's time to name the squad before considering him.
Maybe it's considered more useful for opposition batsmen to have not seen him.

Stefan9

International Debutant
SA squad announcement. Guess the only real surprise is no morne morkel. Personally would have picked shamsi ahead of phangiso but think its a good squad that was picked:

South Africa squad: Faf du Plessis (capt), Kyle Abbott, Hashim Amla, Farhaan Behardien, Quinton de Kock, AB de Villiers, JP Duminy, Imran Tahir, David Miller, Chris Morris, Aaron Phangiso, Kagiso Rabada, Rilee Rossouw, Dale Steyn, David Wiese.
South Africa include Dale Steyn in World T20 squad, no room for Morne and Albie Morkel | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

FBU

International Debutant
Yeah, we have so little spin depth it is a joke. Dawson is no worse than many others and is an absolute gun fielder.
Dawson will probably be reserve. Last World Cup in Bangladesh Tredwell, Ali and Parry got 1/148. Hope we last longer than 4 matches this time.