• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If South Africa beat India and make the World T20 final...

Sri Lanka vs. South Africa Final - Who is more likely to choke?

• Sri Lanka

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Muloghonto

U19 12th Man
Look fool, I stood at the other end (sadly not for long enough) watching him play, and I can tell you, you didn't perform as he did in the 1990s, facing the bowlers he did in those conditions, unless you played the ball late. It was not an era where you could just pick up the line early and hit through it. He had epically fast hands, and he played the ball very late.

You may not appreciate it watching old DVDs mail ordered in from cricket playing countries, but he did. End of.
If you think you are the only one in this discussion to've shared a cricketing experience with Steve Waugh, you are mistaken.
it goes without saying that most international level batsmen- including some tailenders FYI- play the ball far later than you or I can dream of.
To say that you couldn't score runs in the 90s without playing late, is like saying you can't play at the soccer world cup if you can't kick the ball straight for 20 yards.
In the scope of the discussion I participated in ( an ATG thread), he is not a standout batsman when it comes to playing late- several batsmen, both with better and worse records than him, played late. Steve's biggest asset was his shot selection. He mostly had one shot for one type of ball. And he played that adroitly, with great success.

PS: Speaking of being a fool,its wise of you to not continue the foolish line of thought that Sri Lanka have accomplished nothing.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Its funny how Sangakkara is a crap batsman, despite averaging 50+ in Australia, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, New Zealand and UAE but Denis Lillee is a great bowler, despite only ever succeeding in two nations: England, New Zealand and Australia.

Oh the irony.
Sangakkara is one of the two decent batsmen they've ever had, as I referred to in my first post in this thread.

And any decent SL fan who's ever lived would give their left nut (assuming they've dropped) to have had a bowler the calibre of Lillee.

Muloghonto

U19 12th Man
Sangakkara is one of the two decent batsmen they've ever had, as I referred to in my first post in this thread.

And any decent SL fan who's ever lived would give their left nut (assuming they've dropped) to have had a bowler the calibre of Lillee.
Perhaps.
Tough to see what Lillee could've done on the slow rank turners of Sri Lanka, given that he did diddly squat outside of the generally harder, seamier surfaces (this includes, even the SCG in comparison to Colombo) found in pace bowling paradise of England, Australia and New Zealand.

What they would really give their left nuts for, I reckon, is a bowler like Akram, who could work his magic even on the softest or the most square turning wickets of all.

PS: The Sangakkara comment is not directed at you.

Burgey

If you think you are the only one in this discussion to've shared a cricketing experience with Steve Waugh, you are mistaken.
it goes without saying that most international level batsmen- including some tailenders FYI- play the ball far later than you or I can dream of.
To say that you couldn't score runs in the 90s without playing late, is like saying you can't play at the soccer world cup if you can't kick the ball straight for 20 yards.
In the scope of the discussion I participated in ( an ATG thread), he is not a standout batsman when it comes to playing late- several batsmen, both with better and worse records than him, played late. Steve's biggest asset was his shot selection. He mostly had one shot for one type of ball. And he played that adroitly, with great success.

PS: Speaking of being a fool,its wise of you to not continue the foolish line of thought that Sri Lanka have accomplished nothing.
Getting his autograph while sprouting a teenage boner doesn't count as a "cricketing experience", ok?

Look, you play SL when they tour any place that isn't Zimbabwe or Bangladesh, and the home team has an easy summer. If you can't see that, you don't know cricket.

Last edited:

Muloghonto

U19 12th Man
Getting his autograph with a teenage boner doesn't count as a "cricketing experience", ok?

Look, you play SL when they your any place that isn't Zimbabwe or Bangladesh, and the home team has an easy summer. If you can't see that, you don't know cricket.
Obviously, getting his autograph is not the cricketing experience i was trying to relate to. I've spent hours watching Steve play from less than four feet away from him.

The latter part- is definitely not true in limited overs cricket. You are presuming that I actually care as much as you do about a derelict form of cricket.Its nice, but its not the real deal and i got news for you: many a player would stand up and be counted in similar mindset. Many a player much better than you and I too. And we all know what the fans really think. Come back to us about an exclusively tests-only driven cricketing notion when you can atleast sell out every day of every test match in your backyard.
Till then, try to see the bigger picture and perhaps, appreciate cricket in the multitude of forms it comes in.

Burgey

So you stood behind the practice nets and watched him net.

Have a breather, champ.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Burgey, I can't believe you're daring to question Muloghonto's cricketing experience. He was the one who suggested the golf ball/stump training technique to Bradman

Or so i hear

Muloghonto

U19 12th Man
It probably felt like sharing for you. But whatever floats your boat, mate
What is currently floating my boat mate, is you trying to tell me (and the rests) facts about my life without license to do so.
It is rather amusing.

That and the pile of drivel you posted about Sri Lanka that I've bookmarked or amusement.

Burgey

Burgey, I can't believe you're daring to question Muloghonto's cricketing experience. He was the one who suggested the golf ball/stump training technique to Bradman

Or so i hear
Yeah I know mate. I've had a Bo Peep at a couple of those turgid ATG Discussion/ Voting/ Draft threads which the usual mouth breathers spend most of their time in. They're usually dross, but this bloke has taken it to a whole new level. When they venture out of that particular box, they need putting back in it.

As you know, I'm normally a very mild mannered poster who doesn't engage with four year olds posing as adults, but I got tired of this particular sad example of that phenomenon stealing bandwidth.

Burgey

What is currently floating my boat mate, is you trying to tell me (and the rests) facts about my life without license to do so.
It is rather amusing.

That and the pile of drivel you posted about Sri Lanka that I've bookmarked or amusement.
Hopefully you'll keep it as a bookmark for a decade or three. By then they might have accomplished something away from their comfort zone.

Muloghonto

U19 12th Man
Hopefully you'll keep it as a bookmark for a decade or three. By then they might have accomplished something away from their comfort zone.
I doubt they care much about trying to rectify such records for a format nobody really cares about. in the format that people actually care about, particularly their countrymen, they've been a cracker of a team for the last 20 years.
so thats what matters, really.

If they fluke out to being a dominant test team, they'll take it obviously but it should also be obvious, that it is not their main focus. nor should it be.

artvandalay

State Vice-Captain
Its not better format of the game because you are better at it. Test cricket is considered the best form of cricket because you have to both bat well and take 20 wickets. Ask MSD about that. The latter is difficult when you produce wickets like Galle, kandy and SSC where so many test matches did not produce a resuland only batsmen like Mahela could pad their averages. Yes I'm talking about the 900 game.