View Poll Results: Sri Lanka vs. South Africa Final - Who is more likely to choke?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sri Lanka

0 0%
  • South Africa

4 30.77%
  • Double choke resulting in a tie

3 23.08%
  • Who cares? South Africa will lose to India anyway

6 46.15%
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: If South Africa beat India and make the World T20 final...

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    I think they've done pretty well when they've toured the west coast of Canada too.

They've had over thirty years (30!!) to make a mark in world cricket, home and away. They've basically accomplished nothing. They're a joke. They tour anywhere and people switch off before their TVs die of boredom. They're mediocrity writ large.

And ftr, no one on here gives a continental - sub or otherwise - what you think. You've already won the award for most annoying and imbecilic new comer to the forum with that idiotic post about Steve Waugh not playing the ball late, so jog on eh?

U19 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Jassy View Post
    Some gold from Burgey there, top drawer stuff! Hilarious. Whether or not he was being facetious, there is definitely some truth there. Their Bangladesh basher (a.k.a left handed Bradman) is the epitome of a crap attack bully. 21 centuries in Colombo, Galle and Kandy; mediocre outside the SC and that SSC pitch is a disgrace for cricket. Records there should be taken with a pinch of salt. Even Malik scored a couple of tons there. There's a lot of talk about how India have not won an away test series after 2012 but Sri Lanka's last series win away from SL excluding Sangakkara's favourite opponents came more than a decade ago. And Burgey mentioned Pakistan, they are pretty much the same. A WC win in 1992 aside (which came after rain saved from 72 a.o) they have done nothing of note in L.O cricket. They've won test series in fewer countries than India who themselves are far from flash away from home. That tells you all you need to know!

On topic - SL will win if SA somehow get past India. If this was THE WC, you could bet your house on an Indian win vs SA in a semi final; but in a T20 you just never know. Amla and Abd generally choke in limited overs big games but there is rain forecast and if it becomes an even shorter game, it's a bloody lottery.
    Its funny how Sangakkara is a crap batsman, despite averaging 50+ in Australia, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, New Zealand and UAE but Denis Lillee is a great bowler, despite only ever succeeding in three nations: England, New Zealand and Australia.

Oh the irony.
    Last edited by Muloghonto; 04-04-2014 at 02:42 AM.
    Migara, ankitj and YorksLanka like this.

U19 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I think they've done pretty well when they've toured the west coast of Canada too.

They've had over thirty years (30!!) to make a mark in world cricket, home and away. They've basically accomplished nothing. They're a joke. They tour anywhere and people switch off before their TVs die of boredom. They're mediocrity writ large.

And ftr, no one on here gives a continental - sub or otherwise - what you think. You've already won the award for most annoying and imbecilic new comer to the forum with that idiotic post about Steve Waugh not playing the ball late, so jog on eh?
    They have made a mark in world cricket.
    They have been one of the heavyweights in cricket tournaments over the last 20 years. That is quite credible.

As for no-body, i would let every man speak for himself (or herself) on the matter. I don't recall you being nominated to speak on behalf of this forum.

PS: If you wish to convince non-fanboys of Steve Waugh that he played the ball late, good luck with that. I am sure Curtley would have a chuckle.

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muloghonto View Post
    ...but Denis Lillee is a great bowler, despite only ever succeeding in two nations: England, New Zealand and Australia.
    :

Once again, Isaac Newton quakes in his boots at the prospect of having to take on a superior scientific intellect from the dark recesses of the grave.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Look fool, I stood at the other end (sadly not for long enough) watching him play, and I can tell you, you didn't perform as he did in the 1990s, facing the bowlers he did in those conditions, unless you played the ball late. It was not an era where you could just pick up the line early and hit through it. He had epically fast hands, and he played the ball very late.

You may not appreciate it watching old DVDs mail ordered in from cricket playing countries, but he did. End of.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Denis Lillee is a great bowler, despite only ever succeeding in two nations: England, New Zealand and Australia.

Oh the irony.
    for someone who keeps bleating on about stats and maths you sure can't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

U19 12th Man
    Look fool, I stood at the other end (sadly not for long enough) watching him play, and I can tell you, you didn't perform as he did in the 1990s, facing the bowlers he did in those conditions, unless you played the ball late. It was not an era where you could just pick up the line early and hit through it. He had epically fast hands, and he played the ball very late.

You may not appreciate it watching old DVDs mail ordered in from cricket playing countries, but he did. End of.
    If you think you are the only one in this discussion to've shared a cricketing experience with Steve Waugh, you are mistaken.
    it goes without saying that most international level batsmen- including some tailenders FYI- play the ball far later than you or I can dream of.
    To say that you couldn't score runs in the 90s without playing late, is like saying you can't play at the soccer world cup if you can't kick the ball straight for 20 yards.
    In the scope of the discussion I participated in ( an ATG thread), he is not a standout batsman when it comes to playing late- several batsmen, both with better and worse records than him, played late. Steve's biggest asset was his shot selection. He mostly had one shot for one type of ball. And he played that adroitly, with great success.

PS: Speaking of being a fool,its wise of you to not continue the foolish line of thought that Sri Lanka have accomplished nothing.
    Last edited by Muloghonto; 04-04-2014 at 02:43 AM.

Its funny how Sangakkara is a crap batsman, despite averaging 50+ in Australia, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, New Zealand and UAE but Denis Lillee is a great bowler, despite only ever succeeding in two nations: England, New Zealand and Australia.

Oh the irony.
    Sangakkara is one of the two decent batsmen they've ever had, as I referred to in my first post in this thread.

And any decent SL fan who's ever lived would give their left nut (assuming they've dropped) to have had a bowler the calibre of Lillee.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Thread was great but now I ccbf with it
    Last edited by GIMH; 04-04-2014 at 06:30 AM.
    honestbharani likes this.

U19 12th Man
    Sangakkara is one of the two decent batsmen they've ever had, as I referred to in my first post in this thread.

And any decent SL fan who's ever lived would give their left nut (assuming they've dropped) to have had a bowler the calibre of Lillee.
    Perhaps.
    Tough to see what Lillee could've done on the slow rank turners of Sri Lanka, given that he did diddly squat outside of the generally harder, seamier surfaces (this includes, even the SCG in comparison to Colombo) found in pace bowling paradise of England, Australia and New Zealand.

What they would really give their left nuts for, I reckon, is a bowler like Akram, who could work his magic even on the softest or the most square turning wickets of all.

PS: The Sangakkara comment is not directed at you.

If you think you are the only one in this discussion to've shared a cricketing experience with Steve Waugh, you are mistaken.
    it goes without saying that most international level batsmen- including some tailenders FYI- play the ball far later than you or I can dream of.
    To say that you couldn't score runs in the 90s without playing late, is like saying you can't play at the soccer world cup if you can't kick the ball straight for 20 yards.
    In the scope of the discussion I participated in ( an ATG thread), he is not a standout batsman when it comes to playing late- several batsmen, both with better and worse records than him, played late. Steve's biggest asset was his shot selection. He mostly had one shot for one type of ball. And he played that adroitly, with great success.

PS: Speaking of being a fool,its wise of you to not continue the foolish line of thought that Sri Lanka have accomplished nothing.
    Getting his autograph while sprouting a teenage boner doesn't count as a "cricketing experience", ok?

Look, you play SL when they tour any place that isn't Zimbabwe or Bangladesh, and the home team has an easy summer. If you can't see that, you don't know cricket.
    Last edited by Burgey; 04-04-2014 at 02:53 AM.

U19 12th Man
    Getting his autograph with a teenage boner doesn't count as a "cricketing experience", ok?

Look, you play SL when they your any place that isn't Zimbabwe or Bangladesh, and the home team has an easy summer. If you can't see that, you don't know cricket.
    Obviously, getting his autograph is not the cricketing experience i was trying to relate to. I've spent hours watching Steve play from less than four feet away from him.

The latter part- is definitely not true in limited overs cricket. You are presuming that I actually care as much as you do about a derelict form of cricket.Its nice, but its not the real deal and i got news for you: many a player would stand up and be counted in similar mindset. Many a player much better than you and I too. And we all know what the fans really think. Come back to us about an exclusively tests-only driven cricketing notion when you can atleast sell out every day of every test match in your backyard.
    Till then, try to see the bigger picture and perhaps, appreciate cricket in the multitude of forms it comes in.

So you stood behind the practice nets and watched him net.

Have a breather, champ.

U19 12th Man
    So you stood behind the practice nets and watched him net.

Have a breather, champ.
    That is not sharing a cricketing experience now, is it ? Viewing and sharing are not the same.

Burgey, I can't believe you're daring to question Muloghonto's cricketing experience. He was the one who suggested the golf ball/stump training technique to Bradman

Or so i hear
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information