• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group 1 Second Round - Sri Lanka, England, South Africa, New Zealand, Netherlands

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Think it might be worth going the Indian way of a year or so ago and just start supporting one or two players rather than the team. This lot are both useless and dislikeable.

Spark

Global Moderator
Think it might be worth going the Indian way of a year or so ago and just start supporting one or two players rather than the team. This lot are both useless and dislikeable.
Yes and no. A lot of Aussie posters do this too (including me at times) but there is a basic requirement/expectation that the team performs/puts in to an acceptable level - playing for country and all that. Not really as simple as "don't give a **** about the team so long as my favourite player does well"

Spark

Global Moderator
The Dutch must be thinking "if only we'd beaten South Africa, we could be in the mix here". Well deserved win anyway, object lesson in how to defend a lowish target.
Nah, they were never any chance even if they did - they'd be 2-2 with a horrendous NRR.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yes and no. A lot of Aussie posters do this too (including me at times) but there is a basic requirement/expectation that the team performs/puts in to an acceptable level - playing for country and all that. Not really as simple as "don't give a **** about the team so long as my favourite player does well"
Yeah but I think he was proposing that they no longer be his team at all.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Already being out means this result isn't as bad as it could have been. It would have been a lot worse had we been in a position to go through with a win.

As it is this is just the cherry on top of a great big pile of **** that has been the winter of 2013/14.

Last edited:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hey at least we didn't play, and lose to Nepal.

I actually just think this is funny now, how can it not be?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't know anyone on here who's done that though, with yourself being the possible exception
I don't think he was trying to compare himself to anyone on CW though; more the stereotypical 90s Indian fan who essentially just followed Tendulkar.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Ending the winter on such a horrible defeat should be a good thing in the long run for english cricket - hopefully. Hopefully it will mean that there is more analysis of what is wrong and why - and it won't just be forgotten. Losing to Australia in the ashes is one thing. They're a good team but losing to the Dutch is embarassing. This isn't the team that England would have been looking at a year ago. Finn, Swann, KP etc all aren't around. But the players available should still of been good enough to beat the dutch. You've gotta question county cricket and what is happening there and ask why the players in reserve are so average and lacking of so many basic skills.

Look at Parry and his so average bowling. No spin and there wasn't even control of length in this game. Buttler awful behind the stumps. Jordan shovelling everything down the leg side when he bowls. Kieswetter the same block or bash merchant he was. Hales game going backwards. Ali lacking the power for international t20 cricket.

Everybody can moan about Giles or Flower or Saker (and they are culpable to a degree) but it's the players on the field. A lot of them don't have the basic solid foundations needed for T20 cricket. And the rest are too knackered or spread too thin to make the telling contributions.

This winter more than anything has shown that outside the 11 or 12 guys who are good international cricketers there really isn't a lot of quality underneath. Unfortunately more than most because of their all year round schedule, the depth in English players gets tested more than say a NZ or SL who play less.