• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group A First Round - Bangladesh, Afghanistan, Nepal, Hong Kong

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Good chase that.

Interesting game and associates obviously improving, clearly we need to bomb them out of future events lest they embarass the big boys again.

artvandalay

State Vice-Captain
To enjoy cricket?
Would not have figured that out. My beef is more with the number of commonwealth expats they got playing for them. Don't see how a situation like that benefits the cricketing scene there.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Don't see how a situation like that benefits the cricketsng scene there.
I'm not a big fan of teams full of expats for other reasons, but it absolutely does benefit the cricket scene there. Players with experience and coaching in more established cricketing nations are invaluable in passing on what they gained to other cricketers on the local scene and, in a more tangible sense, better performing teams get more exposure and much more ICC funding.

I think it's a shame at times that countries with a stronger cricket culture or a more competitive local scene end up missing out on that exposure and funding so countries full of expats or heritage players can get it, but there's no doubt these players help advance cricketer in the countries they represent (even if not world cricket per se).

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Is it just me or is Al-Amin not swinging this at all?
Haha his action definitely creates the illusion of him swinging it at times because of the arc his arm comes over through, but he definitely moved that first one a fair way.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Haha his action definitely creates the illusion of him swinging it at times because of the arc his arm comes over through, but he definitely moved that first one a fair way.
Nah he just speared 2 deliveres down leg side and the commentators started jizzing about swing.

In fact his entire over's been rubbish yet the comms are going mad for some reason.

artvandalay

State Vice-Captain
I'm not a big fan of teams full of expats for other reasons, but it absolutely does benefit the cricket scene there. Players with experience and coaching in more established cricketing nations are invaluable in passing on what they gained to other cricketers on the local scene and, in a more tangible sense, better performing teams get more exposure and much more ICC funding.

I think it's a shame at times that countries with a stronger cricket culture or a more competitive local scene end up missing out on that exposure and funding so countries full of expats or heritage players can get it, but there's no doubt these players help advance cricketer in the countries they represent (even if not world cricket per se).
You are not wrong. but a team with only expats doesn't evince much interest in the local community unless they achieve unexpected success. Else I'm sure the US and Canada would have been knocking on the doors of full test status by now. Besides it feels more like watching a mish mash of rejects from the established cricketing nations when teams like UAE and Hong Kong play.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Bangladesh clearly didn't watch Malla bat in the first game. Hit a patient 50 odd and I'd be surprised if more than 10 of them came on the off side. Terrible field set.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Bangladesh clearly didn't watch Malla bat in the first game. Hit a patient 50 odd and I'd be surprised if more than 10 of them came on the off side. Terrible field set.
Haha he shut me up well and truly by going inside out over cover :laugh:

Quite possibly the most bottom-handed version of that particular shot I've ever seen though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I said it before but given the India-Nepal border is open, Ranji Trophy teams would be absolutely mad not to look at Paras Khadka; he's a class bat. For all I know they already have and he's not interested but I'd be highly surprised if he couldn't cut it in Indian domestic cricket.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
no double posting - if you double posted... Delete your second post. If you forgot to add something to your original post... Don't make a second post. Edit your first one. The edit button can easily be found in the lower right corner of your post. We would love if you started using it.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lots of expats eventually settle down and have kids that grow up in the country they're in. If a kid grows up there that makes him a citizen of that country just like any other person who you guys are referring to as 'locals'. This is happening where I live, and while expats used to form the core of the team it's changing now and lots of the players are born and bred locally. I don't see what's wrong with this.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm not forgetting to add anything though; new stuff keeps happening. It's not my fault no-one else cares enough about this game to post in between my posts.