• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England squad discussion

Watson33

U19 12th Man
Whilst there seems to be threads gathering about each nations squads, I felt I would start one about England's. Here is the 15-man squad in full:

Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire, captain), Eoin Morgan (Middlesex, vice captain), Moeen Ali (Worcestershire), Ravi Bopara (Essex), Tim Bresnan (Yorkshire), Jos Buttler (Lancashire, wk), Jade Dernbach (Surrey), Alex Hales (Nottinghamshire), Chris Jordan (Sussex), Michael Lumb (Nottinghamshire), Stephen Parry (Lancashire), Joe Root (Yorkshire), Ben Stokes (Durham), James Tredwell (Kent), Luke Wright (Sussex). As we now know, Ian Bell has been added to the squad as injury cover for Eoin Morgan and Alex Hales who are both injured.

Opinions on this squad? For me it's a fairly average squad that I don't think will go all the way. Dernbach goes at a fair lick when bowling and there isn't really any big hitters in the squad other than Morgan who is doubtful, and Jos Buttler.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I heard that Bell wasn't in the 30 man squad, if so I assume that the 30 man squad is completely rubbish/for show?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
They'd probably fudge it as a replacement for the sacked Pietersen who (IIRC) was.

But agreed with the OP; looks cod ordinary. Hales and Morgan leave massive holes too.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm Trying to think what would make this squad a more Grecian-fied one, obviously David Willey for Dernbach. Trego for Wright probably makes it complete.

Jarquis

Nah, Vince can do one.

On board with Willey though and he'd be there if it wasn't for injury.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Bell coming in is so loltastic. Think it says that they have permanently discarded Carberry and Samit Patel. Tbf adding Samit to the squad would have only worsened the average fielding but he'd still be a better bet than quite a few in that squad. I'm a Moeen Ali guy but you can't tell me that Moeen is better prepared to perform the allrounder role than Samit in T20 cricket and this world cup specifically. Ballance or Vince would probably have been better bets than Bell. Realistically we are not winning this world cup so why bring Bell out there. Given him a proper rest. He hasn't played a t20 for however many years.

Spose it's probably come from Giles that he wants Bell. Least if he's going to go down he's gonna do it with players he wants.

Last edited:

theegyptian

lol Stokes out of the tournament having smashed his hand on a locker (and in the process breaking a bone) after getting out. Woakes in.

Such a brilliantly ******** injury. Something I'd definitely do after getting out.

Last edited:

grecian

lol Stokes out of the tournament having smashed his hand on a locker (and in the process breaking a bone) after getting out. Woakes in.

Such a brilliantly ******** injury. Something I'd definitely do after getting out.
TBH, it's a bit of a blessing given that he's been pretty **** in Limited-overs. Not sure how well Woakes will do with the ball, but he's definitely an improvement with the bat.

theegyptian

yes it's not going to do anything either way imo. Woakes won't add anything to the squad but Stokes wasn't given anything.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Hey if you are going to punch something and want to get away without too much trouble, pick Root's face. Warner figured it out better ffs.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough...

Benny boy scoring highly on the first count, not so much on the latter.

Although, tbf, I did once crack a knuckle twatting a parking meter. :shy:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Hey if you are going to punch something and want to get away without too much trouble, pick Root's face. Warner figured it out better ffs.
Reckon by the time he'd have reached the UK the anger wouldn't have quite been there anymore.

grecian

Trego not happy on Twitter, obviously he's right he should have been there.

Him or someone else a bit left-field, we know what we're getting with Bell and Woakes, and in this form of the game it isn't great.