Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: England squad discussion

International Regular theegyptian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    I think they're all in training, Trego has hit at the top of the order. I guess I'd find your lack of love for the like of Napes and Trigger less perturbing if you didn't still think dirtbag was okay, because he may turn out to be not that horrible in t-20. Why just keep on going for established England players when they've been proven to be crap, rather than might be crap. Which I think was Trego's point on twitter. So you don't think anyone can do better than Luke Wright, great.

Neither him or Napier's fault they've been ignored before, maybe they'd have been terrible, but to go back to ones they know will be awful is just dogmatic and stubborn, clearly frightened they'll be proved wrong. which is no way of picking any thing.

Trego is average that is the truth. I'd have dropped dernbach ages a go as I've said. I did argue for him for a time because he had some skills that potentially would be useful at international level. i.e Decent pace, good seam position which allows him to swing the new ball, deceptive slower ball. I still stand by what I said. Unfortunately rather than improving he got worse.

Trego has really done nothing to ever warrant even consideration. Putting together one good season with the bat in one format at 32 is not justification for giving him a chance. England selectors need to pick out players that they think can do something today and in the future. It's clearly Trego's fault he hasn't been picked by any reasonable standard- He has had a completely average career and others have done better than him.

If we pick Trego we may as well pick every halfwit left in the county game who has a good game because hey they might win us the game.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    T20 selection is a bit like that though - remember Chris Schofield

Darren Stevens and Graham Napier are probably the only two who might have a little reason to be miffed that they haven't had an opportunity. Unfortunately if it takes you until you're past 30 to put together consistent performances you're always likely to be overlooked unless they are stellar performances,

re Schofield. He offered something different. A leg spinning option. Variation to the attack. He also was a very good fielder iirc. Trego is a generic slogger who isn't powerful by international standards and doesn't have that wide a range of strokeplay who wouldn't bowl and is no more than average as an international fielder.

At the end of the day I don't think a) Trego or Napier or whoever would have enough time to prepare and be ready to play given they are in preseason at present b) Trego is anywhere near good enough or the next best option. There are plenty of better top 3 options in County cricket.

Look I'll admit my love of Trego started out ironic, but there's absolutely no doubt over the last few years you can't call the guy average. He was deservedly PCA player of the year two season ago.

He's become an effective performer in all forms, and yes he could do a job at 3, better than anyone in this squad, plus his bowling taking the pace of it, may work okay in Bangladesh.

Anyway it's not going to happen, but IMHO he's more deserving of a place than Moeen (love him but this isn't really his form), Bell, Woakes, Dernbach & Bresnan.

Regretting my botm votes as we speak
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Trego's bowling would basically be a non-factor in T20 internationals IMO and I do think there are better batsmen available. Belongs in the conversation though, for sure.

Napier should've been playing for England in T20 cricket for years though really.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    People go into politics to change the world. That's a bad idea. The only good reason to go into politics is to sweep government away so that the world can change itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Freddie is the greatest cricketer ever so the fact these comparisons are being made means three things:

1. Stokes is pretty good
    2. Jono is a ****
    3. Taxation is theft

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Trego's bowling would basically be a non-factor in T20 internationals IMO and I do think there are better batsmen available. Belongs in the conversation though, for sure.

Napier should've been playing for England in T20 cricket for years though really.
    Napier's non-selection almost seems like the management decided that he wasn't good enough and they're not risking being proven wrong.

Honestly this new England strip is rubbish and orange, not even Trego could make it look good.

Sounds like dew could inpact the tournament quite a bit. Don't know how that will affect England's team but given their first three games are night games in chittagong maybe the spin attack may not be the best idea after all.

Quote Originally Posted by theegyptian View Post
    Sounds like dew could inpact the tournament quite a bit. Don't know how that will affect England's team but given their first three games are night games in chittagong maybe the spin attack may not be the best idea after all.
    I think you still have to back both Parry and Tredwell. Might be a big ask to ask Moeen to play a big role with the ball in those conditions though.

Kieswetter in, Wright out. Didn't even realise that Bresnan had been batting at 7 in the last few games. Too high considering the batting that goes before and the fact England are 3 down before the powerplay ends most of the time. With Wright going home it kind of limits the options so I guess Bresnan will remain at 7. Neither Bell nor Woakes who are the two options left for today have played yet.

Seam up batting all-rounder goes home, so of course we call up a wicket keeper...
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Like queuing at the post office, or a cardboard cup of weak milky tea there is a quality of slightly clichéd but still beautifully reassuring Englishness about watching Cook bat"
    - Barney Ronay

It's top 3 bat for top 3 bat really. As crap as Kieswetter is he is certainly one of the next best batting options.

Would be fun for Kieswetter to play if only just to disprove this notion that England need more power. They actually need more skill rather than power. They're not the most powerful team but there is power there. I don't think it's a big problem. It's more just a lack of general batting skills for t20 cricket. Kieswetter playing and scoring 50 off 50 with 5 massive sixes and plenty of dots in between would be great to emphasise the point.

The fact that Samit Patel hasn't been picked a this point seems incredibly harsh. Imo would stroll into this current team and make it better.. Clearly a persona non grata at this point.
    YorksLanka likes this.

Hall of Fame Member flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Bedwetter?

I give up with this lot. Terrible selection.
    YorksLanka likes this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information