• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England squad discussion

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
The last thing you want to do at this stage is bring in someone with no international experience into a big tournament. As boring as Woakes coming in for Stokes is I'd still back him to easily outperform Trego. Least Woakes has been playing recently and England know exactly what he's capable of- which at this point a week before their first game is important.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The last thing you want to do at this stage is bring in someone with no international experience into a big tournament. As boring as Woakes coming in for Stokes is I'd still back him to easily outperform Trego. Least Woakes has been playing recently and England know exactly what he's capable of- which at this point a week before their first game is important.
Nah disagree, as you probably would think with my lover for Trego, t20 is an odd animal, you just need a short impact to win matches, so experience can mean little, after all bringing in Lumb & Sidey when we won the world cup was a master-stroke. The form can easily make someone who was a nobody into a somebody because the other side may not be set up against them.

Also Napier and Trego have proved to be better at the form, which might be a point.

theegyptian

haha I tried to not let my view on Trego get in the way of what I was saying as I was trying to keeping it general about untested players playing out of season and without match practice . Still think asking Napier and Trego (who haven't played any cricket since the start of January and presumably in preseason at the moment) to go into a world cup in 7 days is fairly ludicrous. Napier if all things were equal would probably be a better bet for a one off tournament than Woakes. Trego I'd suggest not. Bowling is poor and likely wouldn't be used and he's an inferior batsmen to Luke Wright imo which about says it all.

grecian

haha I tried to not let my view on Trego get in the way of what I was saying as I was trying to keeping it general about untested players playing out of season and without match practice . Still think asking Napier and Trego (who haven't played any cricket since the start of January and presumably in preseason at the moment) to go into a world cup in 7 days is fairly ludicrous. Napier if all things were equal would probably be a better bet for a one off tournament than Woakes. Trego I'd suggest not. Bowling is poor and likely wouldn't be used and he's an inferior batsmen to Luke Wright imo which about says it all.
I think they're all in training, Trego has hit at the top of the order. I guess I'd find your lack of love for the like of Napes and Trigger less perturbing if you didn't still think dirtbag was okay, because he may turn out to be not that horrible in t-20. Why just keep on going for established England players when they've been proven to be crap, rather than might be crap. Which I think was Trego's point on twitter. So you don't think anyone can do better than Luke Wright, great.

Neither him or Napier's fault they've been ignored before, maybe they'd have been terrible, but to go back to ones they know will be awful is just dogmatic and stubborn, clearly frightened they'll be proved wrong. which is no way of picking any thing.

Pothas

Regardless of any alternatives you care to mention I would not have Woakes anywhere near an England ODI or Twenty20 side, it does neither him or England any good at all.

theegyptian

I think they're all in training, Trego has hit at the top of the order. I guess I'd find your lack of love for the like of Napes and Trigger less perturbing if you didn't still think dirtbag was okay, because he may turn out to be not that horrible in t-20. Why just keep on going for established England players when they've been proven to be crap, rather than might be crap. Which I think was Trego's point on twitter. So you don't think anyone can do better than Luke Wright, great.

Neither him or Napier's fault they've been ignored before, maybe they'd have been terrible, but to go back to ones they know will be awful is just dogmatic and stubborn, clearly frightened they'll be proved wrong. which is no way of picking any thing.

Trego is average that is the truth. I'd have dropped dernbach ages a go as I've said. I did argue for him for a time because he had some skills that potentially would be useful at international level. i.e Decent pace, good seam position which allows him to swing the new ball, deceptive slower ball. I still stand by what I said. Unfortunately rather than improving he got worse.

Trego has really done nothing to ever warrant even consideration. Putting together one good season with the bat in one format at 32 is not justification for giving him a chance. England selectors need to pick out players that they think can do something today and in the future. It's clearly Trego's fault he hasn't been picked by any reasonable standard- He has had a completely average career and others have done better than him.

If we pick Trego we may as well pick every halfwit left in the county game who has a good game because hey they might win us the game.

theegyptian

Darren Stevens and Graham Napier are probably the only two who might have a little reason to be miffed that they haven't had an opportunity. Unfortunately if it takes you until you're past 30 to put together consistent performances you're always likely to be overlooked unless they are stellar performances,

re Schofield. He offered something different. A leg spinning option. Variation to the attack. He also was a very good fielder iirc. Trego is a generic slogger who isn't powerful by international standards and doesn't have that wide a range of strokeplay who wouldn't bowl and is no more than average as an international fielder.

theegyptian

At the end of the day I don't think a) Trego or Napier or whoever would have enough time to prepare and be ready to play given they are in preseason at present b) Trego is anywhere near good enough or the next best option. There are plenty of better top 3 options in County cricket.

grecian

Look I'll admit my love of Trego started out ironic, but there's absolutely no doubt over the last few years you can't call the guy average. He was deservedly PCA player of the year two season ago.

He's become an effective performer in all forms, and yes he could do a job at 3, better than anyone in this squad, plus his bowling taking the pace of it, may work okay in Bangladesh.

Anyway it's not going to happen, but IMHO he's more deserving of a place than Moeen (love him but this isn't really his form), Bell, Woakes, Dernbach & Bresnan.

Regretting my botm votes as we speak:p

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Trego's bowling would basically be a non-factor in T20 internationals IMO and I do think there are better batsmen available. Belongs in the conversation though, for sure.

Napier should've been playing for England in T20 cricket for years though really.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Trego's bowling would basically be a non-factor in T20 internationals IMO and I do think there are better batsmen available. Belongs in the conversation though, for sure.

Napier should've been playing for England in T20 cricket for years though really.
Napier's non-selection almost seems like the management decided that he wasn't good enough and they're not risking being proven wrong.

grecian

Honestly this new England strip is rubbish and orange, not even Trego could make it look good.:ph34r:

theegyptian

Sounds like dew could inpact the tournament quite a bit. Don't know how that will affect England's team but given their first three games are night games in chittagong maybe the spin attack may not be the best idea after all.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Sounds like dew could inpact the tournament quite a bit. Don't know how that will affect England's team but given their first three games are night games in chittagong maybe the spin attack may not be the best idea after all.
I think you still have to back both Parry and Tredwell. Might be a big ask to ask Moeen to play a big role with the ball in those conditions though.