• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ squad

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Only just found this subforum. Kick this off with the eternal words of Scott Styris on Anton Devcich:

Scott Styris ‏@scottbstyris Feb 16
“@trem91: @Sdoull:Great to see @BigCall13 in the NZ T20WC squad. Had to be done, because he is better than everyone else they just work harder
Oh yeah, squad:
Brendon McCullum (captain), Corey Anderson, Trent Boult, Anton Devcich, Martin Guptill, Roneel Hira, Mitchell McClenaghan, Nathan McCullum, Kyle Mills, Colin Munro, James Neesham, Luke Ronchi, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Kane Williamson.

As much as T20 is pretty meh, the last one was on at a convenient time of night and was quite good to follow. We struggled a bit last time (especially those awful ties) but the bowling attack is better now and Anderson + Neesham should give some much-needed lower order power.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I'm much happier now that Taylor is coming in early rather than being used as a late hitter - McCullum, Anderson, Neesham, Ronchi are far better at that role than he is.

Also, Kane Williamson should open with Guptill or even Devcich.

Flem274*

123/5
Guptill
Adorable Future Captain Big Daddy Kane
Baz
Ross
Anderson
Neesh
Wonky Tonk
NcCullum
5outhee
Mitch M
Someone who won't get smashed

pls pls pls

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
As much as it pains me to say this - but Kane has no place in a T20 team, there is no place for an anchor batsman for people to bat around.

His Antoness needs to play (posts you never thought you'd make).

Flem274*

123/5
As much as it pains me to say this - but Kane has no place in a T20 team, there is no place for an anchor batsman for people to bat around.
nah, he's capable of striking over 100 by nurdling and playing clever boundary shots - and he can play shots to hit out. he's a fair way from the odi slowpoke of a few years ago. plus he's a better spinner and fielder than devcich. as long as he opens i think he and the team will be fine. it's not like we lack blokes who can smoke it through raw power.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I know I'm a massive fanboy, but Latham really should be in the t20 squad. Opening batsman replacing opening batsman, good player of spin, has been on a limited overs tour of the subcontinent, can keep...etc.

So dumb of Canterbury to bat both him and Fulton in the middle order in the HRV cup.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member

His Antoness needs to play (posts you never thought you'd make).
nah, he's capable of striking over 100 by nurdling and playing clever boundary shots - and he can play shots to hit out. he's a fair way from the odi slowpoke of a few years ago. plus he's a better spinner and fielder than devcich. as long as he opens i think he and the team will be fine. it's not like we lack blokes who can smoke it through raw power.
I've changed my mind neither of them should play - my new team as follows:

1 Guptil
2 Baz
3 Taylor
4 Anderson
5 Munro
6 Neesham
7 Ronchi
8 NMac
9 Seamer
10 Seamer
11 Seamer

I've seen Kane open for ND vs Wellington in a game I went to with my old man. He scored 52 off 42 balls. Which given the pies Wellington were bowling was conservative batting. The other ND batsman batted around him and they scored 170 which was too much for an insipid wellington batting line up to chase. Only Franklin looked likely that day to make runs.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Would actually take KW over Taylor at number 3, tbh.

I'd go something like:

Latham
Guptill
KW
Baz
Anderson
Neesham
Ronchi
NMac
Southee
McCleneghan
Seamer

Flem274*

123/5
lets not get carried away here. Taylor is in a T20 slump but he's a better player at the format than KW and Latham.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Hesson pores over his English lessons | Stuff.co.nz

Hence the pre-tournament training camp, where the Black Caps will also have practice matches against English counties Worcestershire and Derbyshire. It’ll be there that Hesson also settles on his XI.

Martin Guptill and Kane Williamson will be given first crack at opening the batting and then it’ll be a case of working how to configure the bowling attack.

‘‘[We’ll need] at least two spinners, but probably three, depending on conditions. You want at least three guys that can do a job with spin, so you’ve got the option of bowling at least half your overs with spin.’’

Nathan McCullum picks himself, Williamson is fairly reliable and Hesson also made positive mention of Anton Devcich as a top-order batting and spin bowling option. Roneel Hira is the other spinner in the party.

BeeGee

International Captain
Martin Guptill
Kane Williamson
Brendon McCullum
Ross Taylor
Anton Devcich
Colin Munro
Corey Anderson
Luke Ronchi
James Neesham
Nathan McCullum
Mitchell McClenaghan

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, when I'm looking to pace a chase and avoid a collapse, the guy I don't want to be heading out there and gumming up the works at 60/3 is Devcich. Because then at 70/4, I don't want Munro. And at 80/5, I don't want Corey. And at 90/6, I don't want Ronchi.