Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: How good was it for you?

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I always enjoy the group stages more to be honest. Probably simply because in the first few weeks there are 3 games on a day, and if you're lucky you're able to watch all of them. It's like the beginning of the summer holidays, or Christmas day or something. The fun is underway, but the best is yet to come etc... I think more often than not the best games in these tournaments come in the group stages as well. Kind of a reverse from the Champions League actually.
    Yeah, I agree with this.

I think if I'm honest it trailed off quite badly once the knockout stages begun. But the group stages were just incredible, would find it hard to believe there's ever been a better two weeks of football.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Yeah, I agree with this.

I think if I'm honest it trailed off quite badly once the knockout stages begun. But the group stages were just incredible, would find it hard to believe there's ever been a better two weeks of football.
    Euro 2000

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Have watched 2002 (a little), 2006, 2010 and this one. This one best by far for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Bowling tgfg Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Have loved this World Cup. Easily the best since '02.

...bring on the Prem and A-League now!
    Jesus brings life eternal

Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    Euro 2000
    Now that was a great tournament, including the final stages, IIRC. Up there with WC1970 and WC1982 as my all time favourites.

If I had to rank this WC, its probably the best since 1986. The final was as OK as we get nowadays, (probably the best since 1986 actually) and the knock-outs were pretty ordinary with the one obvious exception. The group stage was so excellent that you can almost forget what followed and, as someone said, that does make up a fair old chunk of the tournament.

Best tournament in a while for me. Group stage was really good and the knockouts had Columbia and the Brazil smashing. It helped that for this WC the time zone really worked for the US. Plus no idiot family members planned the usual vacation crap that has interfered with previous WCs.

Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    Now that was a great tournament, including the final stages, IIRC. Up there with WC1970 and WC1982 as my all time favourites.

If I had to rank this WC, its probably the best since 1986. The final was as OK as we get nowadays, (probably the best since 1986 actually) and the knock-outs were pretty ordinary with the one obvious exception. The group stage was so excellent that you can almost forget what followed and, as someone said, that does make up a fair old chunk of the tournament.
    All the games in the Euros can be amazing and it would still not be equal to an average World Cup, it is just not the same.
    GIMH, Uppercut, The Sean and 1 others like this.

International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar
    This was a good tournament overall but the knockout stages were fairly boring tbh.

I still rate France 98 as the best world cup tournament overall and not just because France triumphed.There were a number of pretty good sides in that tournament - Holland were outstanding. Brazil had a team with all time greats. Chile and Croatia were good, Italy were decent as was Argentina. Hell even England were fairly reasonable.

I got the feeling early on that this was always between Germany or Italy. I just couldn't see anyone else going all the way - Italy disappointed massively for sure. They really should have done a lot better especially after their strong win over England. I always though Brazil would crumble under the sheer pressure especially considering it wasn't a vintage Brazilian side.
    Spain were over the hill, Portugal were massively overrated, this was probably a tournament too soon for France and Belgium, England did their usual, Holland were probably caught between generations and I felt Argentina probably lacked a true playmaker in the mould of a Riquelme in midfield. And to top it off Postecoglou hasn't yet had time to properly work his magic to make the Socceroos the world beaters that we all know they will become.

Really, this tournament was there for the taking by Germany.
    Zinedine Zidane is the greatest footballer ever !

Richard Dickinson - you little beauty !!!!

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Hard to say we did our usual given it hadn't happened since 1958. But the rest of your post I pretty much agree with

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Nobody really overrated Portugal either. They've been arse for ages.

Germany could have also lost to Algeria.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information