Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 3rd place playoff - Brazil vs Netherlands

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Croatia and Germany I think
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    Croatia and Germany. And no, I don't give a ****.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    I remember the 3rd place playoff in 2002 as well, mainly because the Korean and Turkish teams all held hands and ran around the pitch together at the end. Was odd tstl.

This thread has more posts than the final, so I'm calling the match more important.

In reality it's pointless. We were in it in 1990 and I think me and my mates tried to make something out of it, but it was depressing. Just thinking what could have been.

Still it was an excuse for a bevvy, not that we needed much for one back then.

Don't think we even cheered when Platt scored, but I laffed at Shilton being crap in his last game, how was that not a pen BTW. I was always a bit of a **** TBH.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    The fact that Brazil have to play this game is hilarious.

I'd understand if the players didn't want to play this game, but they seem to quite enjoy it. You'd sort of expect depressing low-tempo games with nobody celebrating goals properly but that hasn't happened for ages.

I don't understand why fans object to it being played. What's wrong with just not watching it?

I don't object to it because it's normally great fun but if England were in it I'd probably baulk at it

Reminds me of when the whites got relegated in 2001 with a few games to go and on the last day of the season decided to parade the reserve championship trophy we'd won. Oh, **** off

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Go Yankee, pick two teams from sides KO'ed and play an exhibition before the final.

Better yet, just don't have it.

It's a bit silly, but will be watching it. The 3rd place playoff in 2010 was probably the most entertaining game of the entire tournament (not that that's saying much).
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

It's intriguing just to see how Brazil react.

International Captain King Pietersen's Avatar
    Imo, Brazil should change up their plans, and line up with:

---------------------------------Julio Cesar----------------------------------
    ---Alves----------------T Silva-------------Dante-------------Marcelo---
    ------------------------------------D Luiz-----------------------------------------
    --------------------------Gustavo-----------Ramires--------------------------
    ----Hulk--------------------------Oscar------------------------Willian--------

Maicon has been no better than Alves defensively, so you might as well pick the better, faster attacking wing back. Luiz then has to drop out of central defence, and move into a role where he'll be much more effective, as a deep-lying playmaker, allowing him to make his ridiculous runs forward without as much reliance on him running back, with Gustavo covering, and also with encouragement to utilise his passing. Gustavo and Ramires in central midfield, Gustavo as a defensive minded midfielder, that sits when Luiz goes forward, and Ramires in place of Fernandinho who was dire against Germany. Willian should then play ahead of Bernard, and then another major change, going strikerless, and utilising Oscar as a false nine, in a Muller-esque role in place of Fred. He's been by far the hardest working Brazilian player, and has been used in that role by Mourinho, and he can't do any worse than Fred or Jo. Don't know whether it'll be enough to beat Holland, but it looks a much stronger line-up than the one that turned up against Germany, and the best you can do with this group of players. Thoughts?
    Hurricane likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, wow, what a shot, that is awesome..its a repeat of his six off Muralitharan at Edgbaston, as he switches his grip and reverse-hits Styris over deep cover for a memorable maximum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, that's the most extraordinary shot, he switches his grip to that of a left-hander and launches Stryis high over long-off for a might six. That is one of the more incredible shots you'll see

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Hulk is crap.

Also, if you're going to play with a false nine you can't have a central midfield consisting of Luiz, Gustavo and Ramires.

International Captain King Pietersen's Avatar
    Hulk is crap, but who would you pick? The options are so limited. If Neymar was fit, I'd play him up top, and move Oscar out right, but with Neymar out, the options are so limited. Bernard certainly didn't look any better than Hulk against Germany.

Why's that then? I think it's decent balance. Luiz as a deep-lying playmaker, Gustavo sitting, and Ramires as more of a box-to-box midfielder.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Will support Brazil in this. They've suffered more than what I wanted them too. Plus, Netherlands have whinged like little bitches since they lost the semi.

Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    The 'third place' game is a parody that is little more a sad embarrassment to the players and their fans alike. You could argue that the game is a chance for the players to redeem themselves a bit, but I'm 99% sure that all the Brazilian and Dutch players want to do is to return home and put their feet up with their families and friends.

FIFA really needs to take a hard look at this piece sporting stupidity and dump it. After all, can anyone remember the third place winner from 1998, or even 2006 without Googling it? And even if the odd person does remember, do they really care?
    I can name you all the winners back to 1986 without googling if you'd like.

RVP is playing today so I assume he isn't injured. He has looked off the pace for most of the tournament so I had wondered if he was carrying a niggle.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information