Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Semi final 2: Argentina vs Holland

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend NUFAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    I guess who I root for here depends on who wins the first one. As a non-fan, would like to get into it with traditional rivalries like Ger-Ned and Brazil-Argentina.
    I quite like the idea of the best South American team vs. the best European team.

(West) Germany vs. Argentina played in the 1990 Final too so there are other rivalries.

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I quite like the idea of the best South American team vs. the best European team.
    Thta would be NL - ARG .

(West) Germany vs. Argentina played in the 1990 Final too so there are other rivalries.
    That's hardly a rivalry compared to either NL-GER or BRA-ARG.
    Madness. Exhilarating. Magical. Netherlands have crossed the line in an unbelievable 13.5 overs.
    It's like watching a Gayle from each end. And when one Gayle gets out.. Another Gayle comes in...

Quote Originally Posted by Stapel View Post
    Thta would be NL - ARG .

That's hardly a rivalry compared to either NL-GER or BRA-ARG.
    - Not according to the Fifa rankings, nor in my opinion either.
    - I know its not as big, just saying their is something there.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    FIFA rankings are pretty worthless though tbf.

School Boy/Girl Captain auditor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post

A Brazil v Argentina final would be an absolute farce, two utterly **** teams.
    This will not do. Never! Minimum one of the European team will be in final.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    In Brazil, World Cup plays you.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Germany-Argentina would be the third time. Pretty sure that would be a record.

Unless you want to be a pedant because 86/90 were West Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Axl Rose
    The internet is a big garbage can

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Cricket Web Staff Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post

Yeah. Brazil-Italy is the only other one to happen twice.
    I get a nod, the tiny smile that doesn't come with teeth
    Maybe you don't know who I am

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    That's interesting. For me that would be a relatively 'blah' matchup since that happened in 1986, 1990, 1994, 1998, 2002...I mean it's almost a given that a team from South America or Europe will win the WC so to me there is nothing exciting in particular about that.

Just going by the chants in the stadiums and the media that I tend to read, Brazil-Argentina is pretty mouthwatering. As is Holland-Germany due to historical issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

- Not according to the Fifa rankings
    FIFA rankings are probably the most stupid system in the world. They've really been crap forever. The main difference this year around was that seedings were based on FIFA-ranking, rather than previous WC-results.
    , nor in my opinion either.
    Well, no arguing with that. TBF, I think the four semi-finalists all have a 25% chance. Not one single team has performed consistently on a level that would be considered worthy for a proper champion. Which is probably what makes this tournament so good.
    Last edited by Stapel; 08-07-2014 at 03:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post

3rd time hey. Obviously geographically the rivalry isn't there, but from a World Cup POV, its massive.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    That's interesting. For me that would be a relatively 'blah' matchup since that happened in 1986, 1990, 1994, 1998, 2002...I mean it's almost a given that a team from South America or Europe will win the WC so to me there is nothing exciting in particular about that.

Just going by the chants in the stadiums and the media that I tend to read, Brazil-Argentina is pretty mouthwatering. As is Holland-Germany due to historical issues.
    Yeah, of course Brazil vs Argentina would be massive. I guess you could say Netherlands v Germany would be a blah matchup for non Europeans as its Europe vs Europe for the third time in a row!

Quote Originally Posted by Stapel View Post
    FIFA rankings are probably the most stupid system in the world. They've really been crap forever. The main difference this year around was that seedings were based on FIFA-ranking, rather than previous WC-results.

Well, no arguing with that. TBF, I think the four semi-finalists all have a 25% chance. Not one single team has performed consistently on a level that would be considered worthy for a proper champion. Which is probably what makes this tournament so good.
    I don't love FIFA rankings, but if you think 2 teams are the best and I disagree with you, I thought using the official rankings would mean a little more than me just saying, uh ah, Germany is a better team than Netherlands.

Well, according to the FIFA rankings, last year England were the 6th best team in the world. This probably tells you all you need to know about how good this ranking system is.

Edit: In fact, for further evidence, look at the rankings as they stand at the present. Portugal apparently the 4th best team in the world, Switzerland the 6th, Uruguay in 7th, Greece the 12th, and the Netherlands are in 15th (behind England, USA and Belgium)
    Last edited by sledger; 08-07-2014 at 05:49 AM.

Uh ah Stapel, Germany is the best European team. Happy Sledger?

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    3rd time hey. Obviously geographically the rivalry isn't there, but from a World Cup POV, its massive.
    Yeah + they met in the last two WCs, Germany prevailing both times IIRC. last one was a massacre. Argies will be out for revenge should it happen.

If Germany prevail then it's a final repeat either way, 74 or 86/90. If Brazil win it's a new final.

Both semis are previous final repeats. 02 & 78.

I'm sure none of this is rare or even interesting but hey it came to mind and why not share such useless info.
    Last edited by GIMH; 08-07-2014 at 06:16 AM.

Uh ah Stapel, Germany is the best European team. Happy Sledger?
    Don't be snide. You were basing your view on totally tenuous grounds, I was merely pointing this out. If you think one team is better than another why don't you make an attempt to explain why, rather than making a statement and then referring to a dubious source to back it up? (a mode of debating otherwise known as Ikki-ing).

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information