• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

My fellow Englishmen...

What fate is worse?

• We're from England

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BoyBrumby

Englishman
One of our number, in that blind, flailing way of his, has raised an important question:

We didn't qualify for this World Cup iirc
So what is worse? Failing to make it at all or being all sucky when we get there and going out in straight sets.

Poll to follow.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The most enjoyable tournament in living memory for me was Euro 2008. Read into that what you will.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Trapattoni got far more abuse when Ireland bombed at Euro 2012 than any other manager got for failing to qualify. I think a lot of fans would genuinely prefer to just not make it.

With Ireland I feel like I can still look back on that one great moment from a horrible tournament and feel good about it. Maybe it's because I'm less emotionally invested, because I couldn't do that with United at all.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Actually, I remember being absolutely delighted when England somehow managed to fail to avoid defeat against Croatia in McDonut's last match in charge, and missed out on qualification for Euro 2008 as a result. Mainly because had England qualified, he would have probably managed to keep hold of his job, and I was desperate to see him get the sack.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
They lost to Croatia though.

I would say qualifying and embarrassing yourselves is a lot worse than just not qualifying.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I watched the Graham Taylor 'Impossible Job' documentary on YouTube yesterday (can we not knock it?) and it reminded me of the sheer horror of not qualifying for 94. Jokes aside I do think that's worse.

However, if you don't qualify I think it's easier to enjoy the tournament than if you flop early on. I realise not everyone is the same but it took me a good 4/5 days to get back into the swing of watching this WC once we went out, whereas had we not qualified I'd have probably enjoyed it more.

weeman27bob

International Regular
Surely you'd rather fail against a higher quality of team than fail against Andorra, Moldova et al.?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Actually, I remember being absolutely delighted when England somehow managed to fail to avoid defeat against Croatia in McDonut's last match in charge, and missed out on qualification for Euro 2008 as a result. Mainly because had England qualified, he would have probably managed to keep hold of his job, and I was desperate to see him get the sack.
Don't get this logic. I can't think of a realistic scenario where I wouldn't want my country to win. My opinions on the staff or players are irrelevant towards that cause.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I would trust Furball's judgement on this, he has plenty of experience of both
Other than the Italy game in 2007, my worst Scotland memory is the 3-0 defeat to Morroco at the 1998 World Cup. Luckily in the other 2 major tournaments I can remember we've at least given a decent account of ourselves; 1998 was garbage.

If we ever qualify again, I want us to give a decent account of ourselves. If we go to a tournament and tank a la England I'd rather not qualify.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Other than the Italy game in 2007, my worst Scotland memory is the 3-0 defeat to Morroco at the 1998 World Cup. Luckily in the other 2 major tournaments I can remember we've at least given a decent account of ourselves; 1998 was garbage.

If we ever qualify again, I want us to give a decent account of ourselves. If we go to a tournament and tank a la England I'd rather not qualify.
Would have gone out anyway, though I suppose that wasn't known before the game started. Everyone assumed Scotland-Morocco was a straight fight for 2nd place IIRC; nobody foresaw Norway beating Brazil.

You should qualify for the next Euros I'd have thought, given it's been expanded precisely to allow joke nations like yourselves and Wales to play with the big boys

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Actually yeah that's top 2, possibly even worse. McAllister scores and we win that game, no doubt about it.

The Italy game just hurt so much though. The damage was done in Georgia but time just seemed to slow right down when Italy scored, and what had happened just took ages to sink in. Genuinely one of the worst moments of my football supporting life.