• Not qualifying

8 66.67%
  • Going out in the group stage

1 8.33%
  • Where on earth are you from?

2 16.67%
  • We're from England

0 0%
  • Where you come from do you put the kettle on?

1 8.33%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: My fellow Englishmen...

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    It would've been South Korea then Germany, who we'd already drawn with, and were rubbish generally. It was still a long shot but it was surely the best chance of winning a World Cup that Ireland will ever have, and it was only two years before the Greece Euros showed it can be done.

But literally no one thought we had a chance at the time, with the exception of Keane, who argued that international teams often have so many internal problems that they're essentially there for the taking.
    Last edited by Uppercut; 03-07-2014 at 04:26 AM.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Quote Originally Posted by duffer View Post
    We were the best team in Europe then, it was ours for the taking. Also, Liverpool FA Cup Final, Galatasaray, Leeds United, Barcelona. There's more when I cbf thinking about them.
    Yeah, it wasn't just that they were the best team in Europe at the time, but they were far better than any of the teams that made it to the semi-final. I had actually blocked most of those other ones from my memory, but yeah, they were pretty grim as well. I don't mind the Liverpool one too much these days; it was grim at the time, but the following year served as redemption for all that. The Barcelona CL final may as well never have happened to me, it's like it was a dream, and not an especially good one.

Had forgotten about WC98 though. As Pothas said, that was pretty grim.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Worst sporting moments ever

Villa away 94
    Play off semis 05
    2 months ago

Nayim from the halfway line has to be up there for worst sporting moment personally.

Others include: Giggs's goal in the 99 FA Cup semi after Big Den (IIRC) missed a pen in normal time that would've won it for us & losing 3-2 to Luton Down, Luton fecking Down in the 88 League Cup final after coming back from 1-0 down to lead 2-1. We jibbed a spot kick in that game too which would've made it 3-1. Nutty Nige from memory.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Like queuing at the post office, or a cardboard cup of weak milky tea there is a quality of slightly clichéd but still beautifully reassuring Englishness about watching Cook bat"
    - Barney Ronay

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Nayim from the halfway line has to be up there for worst sporting moment personally.

Others include: Giggs's goal in the 99 FA Cup semi after Big Den (IIRC) missed a pen in normal time that would've won it for us & losing 3-2 to Luton Down, Luton fecking Down in the 88 League Cup final after coming back from 1-0 down to lead 2-1. We jibbed a spot kick in that game too which would've made it 3-1. Nutty Nige from memory.
    Having to put up with the "He gaves Giggsy the ball" chants for the next 5 years adds to this.

Add two counts of Birmingham City there as well. Cup Final and Eduardo matches.
    Last edited by duffer; 03-07-2014 at 08:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    True, a Duffer "heh" is like 50 likes.

Hall of Fame Member flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Me and Grecian comfortably win in the misery stakes. Watching your team go out of the league is absolutely terrible. Think of an ordinary relegation and multiply it by about 100 and that is close to how you feel.

International Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Yeah, it wasn't just that they were the best team in Europe at the time, but they were far better than any of the teams that made it to the semi-final.
    I think any team that didn't win the CL in 03/04 must look back on it with regret just because of how the whole thing panned out,

United went out of it that year due to that last minute Porto goal, and whilst at the time I was no more annoyed than I would be for any other last minute defeat, looking back at it we really should have won the CL that year, despite the fact that we were in a pretty major transitional period at the time. All the other major sides drew each other and then the winners of those ties lost to so-called smaller sides, so as it transpired our whole draw had we beaten Porto would have looked very easy on paper.

Worst football moment was City in 2012 by a distance, and other than that it's mostly less painful but still annoying CL "what if" sort of moments such as the Porto one. No complaints about losing the tie on the balance of play itself but I think had we not been without our entire first choice back-four we would probably have beaten Milan in 2007 and then gone on to beat Liverpool in the final who a) weren't very good and b) we had the wood over at the time.

We should never have lost the 2002 semi to Leverkusen but then we'd have had a very tough ask against Real in the final anyway. Ditto 1997 vs Dortmund which I have only a vague recollection of now. Dominated both games and somehow lost but we'd have done well to beat Juventus in the final anyway.

EDIT: Actually Arsenal completing the double at Old Trafford in 2002 was pretty **** as well. The fact they did it by winning at OT made it so much more galling.
    Last edited by Tom Halsey; 04-07-2014 at 06:30 AM.
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Halsey View Post
    United went out of it that year due to that last minute Porto goal, and whilst at the time I was no more annoyed than I would be for any other last minute defeat, looking back at it we really should have won the CL that year, despite the fact that we were in a pretty major transitional period at the time. All the other major sides drew each other and then the winners of those ties lost to so-called smaller sides, so as it transpired our whole draw had we beaten Porto would have looked very easy on paper.
    Not only that, but Mourinho probably would never have come to Chelsea. With hindsight it was one of the worst footballing things to happen. Top of the list of "Things Tim Howard Couldn't Save".

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Think it's far worse not qualifying tbh, something we've had plenty of experience with. Though it's all about your expectations I guess. We want to qualify more than anything for the football WC, but in other sports, if we aren't winning the whole thing, it isn't good enough.

Yeah, speaking as a non-Englishman, I'd far rather NZ qualified and lost every game than not qualify at all. It's quite possible (though unlikely imo) that our qualification for the 2010 WC will be a once-in-a-lifetime thing. Even if we'd lost every game I wouldn't have cared; it was amazing just qualifying.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Think it's far worse not qualifying tbh, something we've had plenty of experience with. Though it's all about your expectations I guess. We want to qualify more than anything for the football WC, but in other sports, if we aren't winning the whole thing, it isn't good enough.
    Yeah would probably agree with this. England would obviously have a different perspective though I guess.
    5-0

Want to be the online Don Bradman or Ian Salisbury?
    Then join CW Cricket today. It's what all the cool kids desire.

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012
    RIP Hughesy 1988-2014

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    They lost to Croatia though.

I would say qualifying and embarrassing yourselves is a lot worse than just not qualifying.
    How is not qualifying less embarrassing than doing badly? That makes no sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    How is not qualifying less embarrassing than doing badly? That makes no sense.
    It's a lot harder to qualify from Europe than it is from North America and since every man and his dog watches the World Cup I'd rather we didn't embarass ourselves in front of the entire world.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Yea but you're a worse team if you don't qualify than if you did qualify and then do badly....That's like saying coming in last in the Olympics 100m is embarrassing so it's better to just sit on your couch. Like fear of embarrassment is so high that it's not even worth trying...

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    It's the English condition.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information