• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

My fellow Englishmen...

What fate is worse?

• We're from England

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Furball

Evil Scotsman
In fact my favourite England moment is probably Ronald Koeman's free kick in Rotterdam. Glorious.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Worst England moment for me was probably Euro 96. I don't remember ever being as gutted about an England defeat as that. Seaman being lobbed by Ronaldinho in 2002 probably in second place. Phil Neville giving away penalties at Euro 2000 would have to be up there too.

Not really sure after that, the losses to Portugal were a bit grim, but were just a case of "aw no, not this **** again".

My worst moments are more Arsenal-related than England. The Champions League quarter-final defeat to Chelsea was probably the worst thing ever for me personally.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah Euro 96 and then World Cup 98 were the ones for me, was the only point that I probably cared more about England than club football.

Trotta and a crossbar easily my worst moment in football but the whole of the 2006/2007 season was just depressing.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In fact my favourite England moment is probably Ronald Koeman's free kick in Rotterdam. Glorious.
France's two late goals to win at Euro 2004 for me. 2002 was more relief because they'd have been in with a great chance of winning it if they'd got past Brazil.

The Croatia-McClown game was also amazing. Particularly loved the commentary on England's equaliser, in hindsight.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Who knocked you out of the 2002 World Cup? If McCarthy hadn't been a **** and fallen out with Keane then you guys could have gone deep.

Uppercut

Spain on penalties. Looking back there's no reason to think we couldn't have made the final, but nobody felt that way at the time- they were just delighted we had made it that far. The team got a massive reception at the airport when they arrived back in Ireland for going out in the second round. It was the peak of the relentlessly positive, "just glad to be there" support that Keane came to find so infuriating.

There's no way it was as painful as the France loss. Since I can't remember 90 or 94, it was basically the good memories of 2002 that made missing out on 2010 so painful.

Last edited:

duffer

Worst England moment for me was probably Euro 96. I don't remember ever being as gutted about an England defeat as that. Seaman being lobbed by Ronaldinho in 2002 probably in second place. Phil Neville giving away penalties at Euro 2000 would have to be up there too.

Not really sure after that, the losses to Portugal were a bit grim, but were just a case of "aw no, not this **** again".

My worst moments are more Arsenal-related than England. The Champions League quarter-final defeat to Chelsea was probably the worst thing ever for me personally.
We were the best team in Europe then, it was ours for the taking. Also, Liverpool FA Cup Final, Galatasaray, Leeds United, Barcelona. There's more when I cbf thinking about them.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Spain on penalties. Looking back there's no reason to think we couldn't have made the final, but nobody felt that way at the time- they were just delighted we had made it that far. The team got a massive reception at the airport when they arrived back in Ireland for going out in the second round. It was the peak of the relentlessly positive, "just glad to be there" support that Keane came to find so infuriating.

There's no way it was as painful as the France loss. Since I can't remember 90 or 94, it was basically the good memories of 2002 that made missing out on 2010 so painful.
So you must've been in Germany's group then.

Win that penalty shootout and you could've easily made the semi finals. Then once you get that far...

Uppercut

It would've been South Korea then Germany, who we'd already drawn with, and were rubbish generally. It was still a long shot but it was surely the best chance of winning a World Cup that Ireland will ever have, and it was only two years before the Greece Euros showed it can be done.

But literally no one thought we had a chance at the time, with the exception of Keane, who argued that international teams often have so many internal problems that they're essentially there for the taking.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
We were the best team in Europe then, it was ours for the taking. Also, Liverpool FA Cup Final, Galatasaray, Leeds United, Barcelona. There's more when I cbf thinking about them.
Yeah, it wasn't just that they were the best team in Europe at the time, but they were far better than any of the teams that made it to the semi-final. I had actually blocked most of those other ones from my memory, but yeah, they were pretty grim as well. I don't mind the Liverpool one too much these days; it was grim at the time, but the following year served as redemption for all that. The Barcelona CL final may as well never have happened to me, it's like it was a dream, and not an especially good one.

Had forgotten about WC98 though. As Pothas said, that was pretty grim.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Nayim from the halfway line has to be up there for worst sporting moment personally.

Others include: Giggs's goal in the 99 FA Cup semi after Big Den (IIRC) missed a pen in normal time that would've won it for us & losing 3-2 to Luton Down, Luton fecking Down in the 88 League Cup final after coming back from 1-0 down to lead 2-1. We jibbed a spot kick in that game too which would've made it 3-1. Nutty Nige from memory.

duffer

Nayim from the halfway line has to be up there for worst sporting moment personally.

Others include: Giggs's goal in the 99 FA Cup semi after Big Den (IIRC) missed a pen in normal time that would've won it for us & losing 3-2 to Luton Down, Luton fecking Down in the 88 League Cup final after coming back from 1-0 down to lead 2-1. We jibbed a spot kick in that game too which would've made it 3-1. Nutty Nige from memory.
Having to put up with the "He gaves Giggsy the ball" chants for the next 5 years adds to this.

Add two counts of Birmingham City there as well. Cup Final and Eduardo matches.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Me and Grecian comfortably win in the misery stakes. Watching your team go out of the league is absolutely terrible. Think of an ordinary relegation and multiply it by about 100 and that is close to how you feel.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Yeah, it wasn't just that they were the best team in Europe at the time, but they were far better than any of the teams that made it to the semi-final.
I think any team that didn't win the CL in 03/04 must look back on it with regret just because of how the whole thing panned out,

United went out of it that year due to that last minute Porto goal, and whilst at the time I was no more annoyed than I would be for any other last minute defeat, looking back at it we really should have won the CL that year, despite the fact that we were in a pretty major transitional period at the time. All the other major sides drew each other and then the winners of those ties lost to so-called smaller sides, so as it transpired our whole draw had we beaten Porto would have looked very easy on paper.

Worst football moment was City in 2012 by a distance, and other than that it's mostly less painful but still annoying CL "what if" sort of moments such as the Porto one. No complaints about losing the tie on the balance of play itself but I think had we not been without our entire first choice back-four we would probably have beaten Milan in 2007 and then gone on to beat Liverpool in the final who a) weren't very good and b) we had the wood over at the time.

We should never have lost the 2002 semi to Leverkusen but then we'd have had a very tough ask against Real in the final anyway. Ditto 1997 vs Dortmund which I have only a vague recollection of now. Dominated both games and somehow lost but we'd have done well to beat Juventus in the final anyway.

EDIT: Actually Arsenal completing the double at Old Trafford in 2002 was pretty **** as well. The fact they did it by winning at OT made it so much more galling.

Last edited:

Uppercut

United went out of it that year due to that last minute Porto goal, and whilst at the time I was no more annoyed than I would be for any other last minute defeat, looking back at it we really should have won the CL that year, despite the fact that we were in a pretty major transitional period at the time. All the other major sides drew each other and then the winners of those ties lost to so-called smaller sides, so as it transpired our whole draw had we beaten Porto would have looked very easy on paper.
Not only that, but Mourinho probably would never have come to Chelsea. With hindsight it was one of the worst footballing things to happen. Top of the list of "Things Tim Howard Couldn't Save".

Burgey

Think it's far worse not qualifying tbh, something we've had plenty of experience with. Though it's all about your expectations I guess. We want to qualify more than anything for the football WC, but in other sports, if we aren't winning the whole thing, it isn't good enough.

Meridio

International Regular
Yeah, speaking as a non-Englishman, I'd far rather NZ qualified and lost every game than not qualify at all. It's quite possible (though unlikely imo) that our qualification for the 2010 WC will be a once-in-a-lifetime thing. Even if we'd lost every game I wouldn't have cared; it was amazing just qualifying.