• Not qualifying

8 66.67%
  • Going out in the group stage

1 8.33%
  • Where on earth are you from?

2 16.67%
  • We're from England

0 0%
  • Where you come from do you put the kettle on?

1 8.33%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: My fellow Englishmen...

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    Other than the Italy game in 2007, my worst Scotland memory is the 3-0 defeat to Morroco at the 1998 World Cup. Luckily in the other 2 major tournaments I can remember we've at least given a decent account of ourselves; 1998 was garbage.

If we ever qualify again, I want us to give a decent account of ourselves. If we go to a tournament and tank a la England I'd rather not qualify.
    Would have gone out anyway, though I suppose that wasn't known before the game started. Everyone assumed Scotland-Morocco was a straight fight for 2nd place IIRC; nobody foresaw Norway beating Brazil.

You should qualify for the next Euros I'd have thought, given it's been expanded precisely to allow joke nations like yourselves and Wales to play with the big boys

Quote Originally Posted by Axl Rose
    The internet is a big garbage can

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Top 5. Top 3's rounded out by getting thumped 6-0 in Amsterdam in the playoffs for Euro 2004, which was particularly galling after winning the first leg.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Where does Gary McAllister's penalty miss at Wembley fall on this list

Actually yeah that's top 2, possibly even worse. McAllister scores and we win that game, no doubt about it.

The Italy game just hurt so much though. The damage was done in Georgia but time just seemed to slow right down when Italy scored, and what had happened just took ages to sink in. Genuinely one of the worst moments of my football supporting life.

Anyway, this is about you ****s. What about that penalty shoot out against Portugal?

In fact my favourite England moment is probably Ronald Koeman's free kick in Rotterdam. Glorious.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Worst England moment for me was probably Euro 96. I don't remember ever being as gutted about an England defeat as that. Seaman being lobbed by Ronaldinho in 2002 probably in second place. Phil Neville giving away penalties at Euro 2000 would have to be up there too.

Not really sure after that, the losses to Portugal were a bit grim, but were just a case of "aw no, not this **** again".

My worst moments are more Arsenal-related than England. The Champions League quarter-final defeat to Chelsea was probably the worst thing ever for me personally.

Yeah Euro 96 and then World Cup 98 were the ones for me, was the only point that I probably cared more about England than club football.

Trotta and a crossbar easily my worst moment in football but the whole of the 2006/2007 season was just depressing.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    In fact my favourite England moment is probably Ronald Koeman's free kick in Rotterdam. Glorious.
    France's two late goals to win at Euro 2004 for me. 2002 was more relief because they'd have been in with a great chance of winning it if they'd got past Brazil.

The Croatia-McClown game was also amazing. Particularly loved the commentary on England's equaliser, in hindsight.

In terms of Ireland defeats nothing comes close to the Henry handball.

Who knocked you out of the 2002 World Cup? If McCarthy hadn't been a **** and fallen out with Keane then you guys could have gone deep.

Spain on penalties. Looking back there's no reason to think we couldn't have made the final, but nobody felt that way at the time- they were just delighted we had made it that far. The team got a massive reception at the airport when they arrived back in Ireland for going out in the second round. It was the peak of the relentlessly positive, "just glad to be there" support that Keane came to find so infuriating.

There's no way it was as painful as the France loss. Since I can't remember 90 or 94, it was basically the good memories of 2002 that made missing out on 2010 so painful.
    Last edited by Uppercut; 03-07-2014 at 04:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Worst England moment for me was probably Euro 96. I don't remember ever being as gutted about an England defeat as that. Seaman being lobbed by Ronaldinho in 2002 probably in second place. Phil Neville giving away penalties at Euro 2000 would have to be up there too.

Not really sure after that, the losses to Portugal were a bit grim, but were just a case of "aw no, not this **** again".

My worst moments are more Arsenal-related than England. The Champions League quarter-final defeat to Chelsea was probably the worst thing ever for me personally.
    We were the best team in Europe then, it was ours for the taking. Also, Liverpool FA Cup Final, Galatasaray, Leeds United, Barcelona. There's more when I cbf thinking about them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    True, a Duffer "heh" is like 50 likes.

Worst thing about that Chelsea game was that it was one bad half.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Spain on penalties. Looking back there's no reason to think we couldn't have made the final, but nobody felt that way at the time- they were just delighted we had made it that far. The team got a massive reception at the airport when they arrived back in Ireland for going out in the second round. It was the peak of the relentlessly positive, "just glad to be there" support that Keane came to find so infuriating.

There's no way it was as painful as the France loss. Since I can't remember 90 or 94, it was basically the good memories of 2002 that made missing out on 2010 so painful.
    So you must've been in Germany's group then.

Win that penalty shootout and you could've easily made the semi finals. Then once you get that far...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information