• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Quarter-finals

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
With their star player's name pronounced "Hamas", a Colombian win would have been a win for the terrorists.

Burgey

World has gone mad. Just saw an ad for stage one of Le Tour - Leeds to Harrogate.

Suspect this confirms thoughts that Yorkshire really is part of France.

Uppercut

Yeah I don't want Brazil to win it either but it sucks for the tournament. Thiago Silva out of the semi suspended too. The team that faces Germany will be remarkably low on quality.

I guess we should just be grateful that he wasn't basically Brazilian, but that was a shocking refereeing performance in that game. Case study in how not to keep control of a big game.

Burgey

That's terrible luck for Neymar. To have the chance to play in and influence a home World Cup is something even very few of the best players get a chance to do. You'd think the Bosch will see them off pretty easily now.

Currently watching the 86 Brazil-France game on sbs. Fair to say there's a few decent players on display....

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Will be interesting to see if Oscar steps up in Neymar's absence. Smart money on Germany now though, surely.

OverratedSanity

Cracking match. Shame for Newmar really. Don't want Brazil to win the cup but can't help but feel its made Germany's next game easy. Their biggest threat going forward and their one real defender both gone.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I normally support Netherlands at this point but I'm uneasy about it given their manager is Man U bound.

Costa Rica the only logical option from where I'm sat.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Am I the only one who finds this Brazilian team really difficult to like?
Nope, fouls and set pieces is all they are doing.
They're all about Neymar and he's about 90% hair gel and fancy loafers too. With Fred as his nine it's maybe understandable, but he never looks up. Very skillful, but lacking awareness. He's like a fly half with a good step but no offload.

Neymar out of the World Cup with broken vertabrae. Ouch.
Feel sorry for the boy but will be very firmly in Jerry's camp for the semi. Without him Brazil are essentially Chelsea.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I'm supporting the other side of the draw.
Yup. In an ideal world you'd really want to see a Holland vs Argentina final now.

As other have said, this Brazil side are not especially likeable. It doesn't help that Scolari is one of the more petulant thugs that you could encounter. But the side is cod ordinary as well, and I can't improve on Brumby's analysis of their star player. I can't find any sympathy at them losing him for the remainder of the tournament after they took turns to kick Columbia's star turn all over the park last night, in front of one of the most spineless officials it's been my misfortune to see. Love the fans, love the spectacle, but it would be a rank injustice if Brazil won the thing.

As for Germany, they seem to have reverted to being boringly efficient after a couple of stabs at winning friends as well as football matches. But a neutral would want them to win their semi-final.

As for tonight's matches, perhaps it's worth mentioning that Messi has done rather more than Maradona at this stage of the 1986 tournament. Of course, the latter's efforts in the quarter and semi finals will take some matching, even if he did have a very quiet final. But if Messi does continue to turn it on for the next three games, I could cope with the WC being won by a side with a genuine ATG on top form..

Last edited:

King Pietersen

International Captain
Will be interesting to see if Oscar steps up in Neymar's absence. Smart money on Germany now though, surely.
Completely different player to Neymar obviously, but I thought Oscar was one of Brazil's most influential players last night, everything he did he did well. He worked so hard, constantly tracking back, making saving tackles, and then he's so good on the ball. Might not light up the World Cup like Neymar, Messi or Rodriguez, but last night showed why Jose is so keen on him, was excellent.

Bernard should replace Neymar. Hopefully he'll be another gun FM player to shine at the World Cup.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Being a United fan I might be able to support the Dutch. Want to see how they play today. If they revert to the fouling and diving version then I can't support that. Hoping they can get back to the Spain form.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah I don't want Brazil to win it either but it sucks for the tournament. Thiago Silva out of the semi suspended too. The team that faces Germany will be remarkably low on quality.

I guess we should just be grateful that he wasn't basically Brazilian, but that was a shocking refereeing performance in that game. Case study in how not to keep control of a big game.
The refereeing involving Brazil has either been massively incompetent or it's corrupt.