Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Design your own World Cup

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar

Design your own World Cup

One of the big discussion points on here is always the allocation of teams per continent in the World Cup . And I reminded myself today of some of the strange formats we've seen over the years. Group stages where all teams don't play each other. Groups of 3 in the second round. 3rd place teams going through from the group stage (being used in the next Euros)

i think 32 is the right amount of teams. Allocation wise I've always felt we could do with more half places, but obviously there are logistical issues. But Europe, for example, never in recent times has had its place challenged.

I would go back to holders qualifying by rights. One day under the current format a holder will fail to qualify and as far as I'm concerned nobody wants that.

europe gets the most spots. Rightfully, I suppose, but I struggle to believe the rest do the world can't give us a better side than Greece (even accounting for them going further than England, Italy & Spain). I would take two of Europe's spots and make them play off against sides from other continents.

id also like to see a second group stage. I would have the same first group stage, but then have 4 X 4, and the winners go to the semis. It would mean more games but address any lop sided draw issues, such as what we saw in 2010

these are random post beer thoughts but there you go. I'm sure you guys can do better?

Quote Originally Posted by Axl Rose
    The internet is a big garbage can

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Algeria is the only team (I think) from the Middle East and AsIa that made it out of the Group Stage. Even Japan and South Korea were pretty bad. So if Greece were to be replaced by a non- European team then they should probably come from Africa or the Americas. Having said that, you could argue that Greece has been underestimsted just like they were in Euro 2004, and deserve their time in the World Cup.
    1. Len Hutton 2. Jack Hobbs 3. Walter Hammond 4. Peter May 5. Ken Barrington 6. Denis Compton 7. Alan Knott 8. Hedley Verity 9. John Snow 10. Fred Trueman 11. Sydney Barnes

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    I'd like to see India to qualify.

lolnotrly

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    Having said that, you could argue that Greece has been underestimsted just like they were in Euro 2004, and deserve their time in the World Cup.
    Well they've won more games at this World Cup than Spain or England, so I don't think there's any argument about it.

I'd consider a second group stage instead of the knockout round of 16. So the same 16 go into four groups where the top two qualify again. Probably not a popular option though. Would almost kill any chance of an unfenced side making the quarters/semis.
    RIP Philip Hughes - 1988-2014

The Wheel of Mediocrity | Compton, Root, Carberry, Robson, Trott, Lyth, Moeen, Hales | The wheel is forever

Founder and Grand Wizard of the CW Football Thread Statluminati. Potential hater of abilities. Blocked on twitter by Michael Vaughan, Brad McNamara and AtlCricket for my hard hitting truths.

Like it how it is just fine tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    I'd consider a second group stage instead of the knockout round of 16. So the same 16 go into four groups where the top two qualify again. Probably not a popular option though. Would almost kill any chance of an unfenced side making the quarters/semis.
    Yeah, I think that sort of thing carries with it a risk of things going stagnant. The World Cup could quite conceivably be so great that it could overcome this, but there's no doubt the Champions League has improved massively since the scrapping of the second group stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    That option worked nicely in the 1974 World Cup where West Germany and Holland both topped their respective groups and played in the final.

A second Group phase does seem more fair in that there is an opportunity for good teams to get a deserved second chance. However, it does lose much of the drama common to most sudden death knock-out matches.
    Last edited by watson; 27-06-2014 at 05:30 PM.

Thanks for that Watson. I'm sure all the posters who have never seen a football match before will be glad you bothered to outline the differences between group stage and knockout games.
    marc71178 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    Algeria is the only team (I think) from the Middle East and AsIa that made it out of the Group Stage. Even Japan and South Korea were pretty bad. So if Greece were to be replaced by a non- European team then they should probably come from Africa or the Americas. Having said that, you could argue that Greece has been underestimsted just like they were in Euro 2004, and deserve their time in the World Cup.
    CAF, but who's counting

Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    Like it how it is just fine tbh.
    It is the best format we've had tbf.

A team finishing 3rd and going through is absurd. And how they never foresaw that 3 team groups were open to abuse is beyond me

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend NUFAN's Avatar
    Just for fun:

40 team World Cup

Host Country 1
    Oceania 1
    Europe 14
    South America 6
    Asia 5
    Africa 6
    CONCACAF 4
    = 37 teams
    The team with the highest FIFA ranking from each confederation (so 6 teams) plays a knockout match with the 3 teams that win joining the other 37 teams.
    FIFA rankings as they stand now will need to better.

Tournament
    8 groups of 5
    2nd and 3rd from each group go into a knockout round, exactly how the second round is currently, with the teams who finished top get to rest.
    8 winners of the knockout game join the 8 group winners.
    The 16 teams go into 4 groups of 4. Each group will have 2 knockout winners and 2 winners of their groups.
    The top team from each group makes the semi finals
    Semis
    Final (no 3rd place match)
    Last edited by NUFAN; 28-06-2014 at 01:00 AM.
    GIMH likes this.

That would be a long ass World Cup

I like it

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend NUFAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    That would be a long ass World Cup

I like it
    Just before I go on, I am happy with the current tournament structure but thought I might as well offer something different.

Yeah I was afraid it would be considered too long, so chose to just straight to semi finals, instead of top 2 teams from the 4 groups progressing.

There are ways to cut down on the total time. The 8 knockout matches could be completed over a Super Saturday and Sunday which would be just amazing to watch. I haven't analysed it completely but I think the tournament would go 2 weeks longer than the current format and would especially suit hosts countries with different timezones.
    Last edited by NUFAN; 28-06-2014 at 01:35 AM.

I wonder if they will ever expand it. Blatter planned to up it to 36 at one point. No idea how that would have worked.

In theory I'd love a bigger group stage but in practice we'd end up with so many dead games

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information