• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Design your own World Cup

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
One of the big discussion points on here is always the allocation of teams per continent in the World Cup . And I reminded myself today of some of the strange formats we've seen over the years. Group stages where all teams don't play each other. Groups of 3 in the second round. 3rd place teams going through from the group stage (being used in the next Euros)

i think 32 is the right amount of teams. Allocation wise I've always felt we could do with more half places, but obviously there are logistical issues. But Europe, for example, never in recent times has had its place challenged.

I would go back to holders qualifying by rights. One day under the current format a holder will fail to qualify and as far as I'm concerned nobody wants that.

europe gets the most spots. Rightfully, I suppose, but I struggle to believe the rest do the world can't give us a better side than Greece (even accounting for them going further than England, Italy & Spain). I would take two of Europe's spots and make them play off against sides from other continents.

id also like to see a second group stage. I would have the same first group stage, but then have 4 X 4, and the winners go to the semis. It would mean more games but address any lop sided draw issues, such as what we saw in 2010

these are random post beer thoughts but there you go. I'm sure you guys can do better?

watson

Banned
Algeria is the only team (I think) from the Middle East and AsIa that made it out of the Group Stage. Even Japan and South Korea were pretty bad. So if Greece were to be replaced by a non- European team then they should probably come from Africa or the Americas. Having said that, you could argue that Greece has been underestimsted just like they were in Euro 2004, and deserve their time in the World Cup.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Having said that, you could argue that Greece has been underestimsted just like they were in Euro 2004, and deserve their time in the World Cup.
Well they've won more games at this World Cup than Spain or England, so I don't think there's any argument about it.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I'd consider a second group stage instead of the knockout round of 16. So the same 16 go into four groups where the top two qualify again. Probably not a popular option though. Would almost kill any chance of an unfenced side making the quarters/semis.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I'd consider a second group stage instead of the knockout round of 16. So the same 16 go into four groups where the top two qualify again. Probably not a popular option though. Would almost kill any chance of an unfenced side making the quarters/semis.
Yeah, I think that sort of thing carries with it a risk of things going stagnant. The World Cup could quite conceivably be so great that it could overcome this, but there's no doubt the Champions League has improved massively since the scrapping of the second group stage.

watson

Banned
That option worked nicely in the 1974 World Cup where West Germany and Holland both topped their respective groups and played in the final.

A second Group phase does seem more fair in that there is an opportunity for good teams to get a deserved second chance. However, it does lose much of the drama common to most sudden death knock-out matches.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Thanks for that Watson. I'm sure all the posters who have never seen a football match before will be glad you bothered to outline the differences between group stage and knockout games.

Quaggas

State Captain
Algeria is the only team (I think) from the Middle East and AsIa that made it out of the Group Stage. Even Japan and South Korea were pretty bad. So if Greece were to be replaced by a non- European team then they should probably come from Africa or the Americas. Having said that, you could argue that Greece has been underestimsted just like they were in Euro 2004, and deserve their time in the World Cup.
CAF, but who's counting

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Just for fun:

40 team World Cup

Host Country 1
Oceania 1
Europe 14
South America 6
Asia 5
Africa 6
CONCACAF 4
= 37 teams
The team with the highest FIFA ranking from each confederation (so 6 teams) plays a knockout match with the 3 teams that win joining the other 37 teams.
FIFA rankings as they stand now will need to better.

Tournament
8 groups of 5
2nd and 3rd from each group go into a knockout round, exactly how the second round is currently, with the teams who finished top get to rest.
8 winners of the knockout game join the 8 group winners.
The 16 teams go into 4 groups of 4. Each group will have 2 knockout winners and 2 winners of their groups.
The top team from each group makes the semi finals
Semis
Final (no 3rd place match)

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
That would be a long ass World Cup

I like it
Just before I go on, I am happy with the current tournament structure but thought I might as well offer something different.

Yeah I was afraid it would be considered too long, so chose to just straight to semi finals, instead of top 2 teams from the 4 groups progressing.

There are ways to cut down on the total time. The 8 knockout matches could be completed over a Super Saturday and Sunday which would be just amazing to watch. I haven't analysed it completely but I think the tournament would go 2 weeks longer than the current format and would especially suit hosts countries with different timezones.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I wonder if they will ever expand it. Blatter planned to up it to 36 at one point. No idea how that would have worked.

In theory I'd love a bigger group stage but in practice we'd end up with so many dead games

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
With 5 groups of 8 and 3 progressing in my 40 team Cup, I don't think you'd have more dead games in the first round. Actually, there could be a case of having less dead games as one of the teams playing will likely be either trying to win the group or ensuring they don't lose or they'll miss out. I guess with just the top team progressing in the 4x4 groups, it could be a bit ordinary having dead games so late in the tournament.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've been to 3 WCs - Japan/SK, Germany and SA

Germany and SA were crap whilst the Asian WC was brilliant

Having spent time in Russia and Qatar, I confidently predict that one will be great whilst the other will be a complete farce

As for participants, seems they have got it about right

You need underdogs (e.g. arguably most memorable game in WC history is US beating England in 1950) to make it interesting and a truly world-wide event

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Like Pothas I think the finals structure is fine as it is.

I would do all of the qualifying in the June/July of non-tournament years, though.