Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Design your own World Cup

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    It is worth noting that 40% of the African teams made it out of the group stage in this World Cup, which is only slightly less than the 46% of European teams. I can't really argue that African teams have done particularly well at the World Cup overall but I think people tend to pass judgement on the confederation based on the performance of a couple of teams, which is a bit unfair. I mean, you could look at group C and argue that even highly fancied European teams did very poorly, but there's 11 other European teams and some of them are potential winners, so nobody is going to do that.

I think the reality is that teams from the lesser confederations have been highly inconsistent but their results have been generally improving, and more good players overall are coming out of Africa and Asia today than in the past. The worst teams at this World Cup seem better organised and more competitive to me than the worst teams were in say '98 or '02. I don't have stats for this but I'd also imagine there's more players from the lesser confederations playing top flight football in Europe than there were at that time. That indicates progress to me even if there's not a single African country anyone thinks is a serious contender to win the tournament.
    It's cold on the outside they say
    But the cold leaves you clear while the heat leaves a haze

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    In the World Cup I am designing, I CAN COMPARE WHOEVER I WANT. :P But yeah, fair call - I guess I made my comment as some of the comments were talking about having to win the whole thing to get credit, but Sledger has already explained its not what he meant. I just don't think Africa have been that bad (apart from Cameroon) and for a confederation so large, the number of countries they get at the Cup is about right IMO.
    I agree. You can't judge a whole continent by the performance of a single country like Cameroon. So overall, I think that the mix of countries is just about spot-on.
    1. Len Hutton 2. Jack Hobbs 3. Walter Hammond 4. Peter May 5. Ken Barrington 6. Denis Compton 7. Alan Knott 8. Hedley Verity 9. John Snow 10. Fred Trueman 11. Sydney Barnes

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Problem is, for me, that this sort of thing has been happening for as long as I can remember. Cameroon are never not involved in some sort of scandal, Ivory Coast have repeatedly not performed, Ghana have done well on the whole but have arguably underperformed given the players at their disposal, Nigeria were emerging as dark horses/reasonable contenders about 20 years ago but until recently seemed to have spent all the time since the mid/late nineties regressing. Then we've had teams like Togo and Angola that were just hopelessly out of their depth.
    You say this like the World Cup would somehow be better without a sub-Saharan African nation playing a phenomenally high-energy game before spectacularly imploding.

Just reading through the thread, I think there's a mistaken assumption that the team to miss out would be the worst of the qualifiers from that confederation, and that's not necessarily the case. The European team that came closest to going out was France, for CONCACAF it was Mexico, for South America it was Uruguay and from Africa, Algeria- all of them made the second round.

Yeah that is a good point,

It is really quite ridiculous that Mexico almost failed to qualify given how they have played so far this tournament and how limited Honduras were,

Yeah replacing their manager made a massive difference. Pulled off a reverse-Moyes.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Lowest paid manager at the WC as well. Is on roughly what Ronnie Moore was on in his 1st spell with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Axl Rose
    The internet is a big garbage can

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    You say this like the World Cup would somehow be better without a sub-Saharan African nation playing a phenomenally high-energy game before spectacularly imploding.
    Haha, not at all, this is one of the things I look forward to the most. It'd just be nice to come into the tournament actually really rating a team not from Europe or South America, and expecting them to do well for once.

Japan really the biggest disappointment for me this time round, expected an awful lot more from them.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Lowest paid manager at the WC as well. Is on roughly what Ronnie Moore was on in his 1st spell with us.
    And the two highest paid are Capello and Hodgson, who arguably did the two worst jobs in the tournament.

An African XI wouldn't get close to winning.

The best African team has been Algeria, which is no coincidence as their players are all French by birth and upbringing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    Japan really the biggest disappointment for me this time round, expected an awful lot more from them.
    Yeah me too.

They've got the same failings as last time that the emergence of Kagawa sadly hasn't helped.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend NUFAN's Avatar
    In my designed World Cup I would change the rule where players miss matches due to too many yellow cards in separate matches. Always hate seeing a first choice player miss a match because of that.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    But then what penalty is there for a player who makes key cynical fouls late in games?

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    In my designed World Cup I would change the rule where players miss matches due to too many yellow cards in separate matches. Always hate seeing a first choice player miss a match because of that.
    Maybe they should learn to tackle.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information