Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Ann Coulter on soccer....you're welcome everybody

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    It's definitely not satire, she's got like... a dozen bestsellers maybe? Wishful thinking I'm afraid, she's just an idiot. Mind you, it's definitely meant to be ****-stirring.
    Last edited by FaaipDeOiad; 26-06-2014 at 04:06 PM.
    It's cold on the outside they say
    But the cold leaves you clear while the heat leaves a haze

As long as we're drawing attention to such things, I reckon this masterpiece in the Graun gives Coulter's effort a run for its money in the beyond-parody stakes...

Is it anti-feminist to watch the World Cup? | Silvia Murray Wakefield | Comment is free | theguardian.com
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

Cricket Web Staff Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    As long as we're drawing attention to such things, I reckon this masterpiece in the Graun gives Coulter's effort a run for its money in the beyond-parody stakes...

Is it anti-feminist to watch the World Cup? | Silvia Murray Wakefield | Comment is free | theguardian.com
    Quite sure she hits the odd kernel of truth in there, though the presentation is obviously as another ****-stirrer
    What if all the switches get stuck on 'destroy'?

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Quite sure she hits the odd kernel of truth in there, though the presentation is obviously as another ****-stirrer
    What truths?

People prefer watching men play football because the quality is higher. Same reason why nobody tunes in when my team is on TV, compared with Champions League night.

Quote Originally Posted by Axl Rose
    The internet is a big garbage can

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    I dunno, I think most people watch the World Cup because other people watch the World Cup.
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of ESAS, JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Whatever good points it may have had were totally lost on me with the suggestion that the WC may be ageist or ableist, showing the author does not know what either word actually means

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    What truths?
    I think footballing communities tend to be hyper-masculine, and people whose social lives are built around football are often totally incapable of talking to girls like they're actual people.

Feminist communities have the exact same problem though, which is kind of ironic.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    I dunno, I think most people watch the World Cup because other people watch the World Cup.
    I think this is a little cynical (not like you ). There is an element of that, but at the end of the day, people watch football all year round. The World Cup is ****loads of it every day. People watch it because they like football.
    Ikki likes this.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    I think this is a little cynical (not like you ). There is an element of that, but at the end of the day, people watch football all year round. The World Cup is ****loads of it every day. People watch it because they like football.
    This. As well as a heightened sense of drama because there are national teams playing. If the two worst footballing nations were playing at a World Cup you'd still watch just because you know how much it means to them.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    It is quite interesting that in America, where the women's football team is pretty good and their men's team not so much (relatively speaking), the women's world cup gets really high viewer numbers. I imagine you'd see similar things with a lot of sport, where people might say they prefer the men's game but if someone they cared about was playing they'd happily watch the women's instead, etc. There's definitely a significant element of social conditioning there, people watch things because they feel they are important, not because of some innate attraction to the superior aesthetics or athleticism or whatever.

That said, those things can be a legitimate concern for actual connoisseurs of the sport, even if they aren't why they started watching in the first place. To not acknowledge that there's any reason people might watch the men's world cup other than the social conditioning angle is dumb, and overall the few good points she makes are outweighed by the weak ones and the ****ty delivery.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    That Grauniad article is ****ing terrible.

Yeah, it's obviously just click/comment bait.
    RIP Philip Hughes - 1988-2014

The Wheel of Mediocrity | Compton, Root, Carberry, Robson, Trott, Lyth, Moeen, Hales | The wheel is forever

Founder and Grand Wizard of the CW Football Thread Statluminati. Potential hater of abilities. Blocked on twitter by Michael Vaughan, Brad McNamara and AtlCricket for my hard hitting truths.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    You guys only think it's bad because you never read: New Statesman | Laurie Penny: Why I despise the World Cup

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Sigh. I really hate these types of people who are just so desperate to get outraged about something.

Ha ha Laurie ****ing Penny - such a talented writer and yet such a hateful, misandrist troll. If she didn't exist and you made her up you'd be told to wind it back a bit. I'm pretty sure she is in fact made of vitriol.
    Last edited by The Sean; 27-06-2014 at 12:38 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information