• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Round of 16 matches

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Tim Vickery made a really interesting point last night about Brazil and them playing Fred up front.

In his view Fred's immobility and the fact that he hardly ever touches the ball is not necessarily a reason to criticse him, as the entire reason he's in the side is because the way he's slow and plays higher up the pitch forces the oppo's defenders back, and allows Neymar, Oscar and the full backs etc... far more space in the gap between midfield and defence to use the ball and score goals. The only reason he's in the side is to free up this space for the others to play, because Brazil don't have enough quality to play with a Spanish style false nine.

I'm not entirely sure I agree with all of what he says, but it does make a lot of sense. I'll be paying close attention to today's game to see how much truth there is to this idea.

Love him as a pundit though, you'd never EVER get anything like this kind of thoughtful input from the pundits sat in the TV studio.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
& one of them is Greece, who are barely even a football side at all.

Against Yurp losing spots is that no Asian sides qualified at all. In fact I don't think they even won a single game.
Wouldn't complain if South America got to keep the host spot from this year.

If 6 out of 10 makes too much of a joke out of qualifying, merge them with the rest of the Americas.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tim Vickery made a really interesting point last night about Brazil and them playing Fred up front.

In his view Fred's immobility and the fact that he hardly ever touches the ball is not necessarily a reason to criticse him, as the entire reason he's in the side is because the way he's slow and plays higher up the pitch forces the oppo's defenders back, and allows Neymar, Oscar and the full backs etc... far more space in the gap between midfield and defence to use the ball and score goals. The only reason he's in the side is to free up this space for the others to play, because Brazil don't have enough quality to play with a Spanish style false nine.

I'm not entirely sure I agree with all of what he says, but it does make a lot of sense. I'll be paying close attention to today's game to see how much truth there is to this idea.

Love him as a pundit though, you'd never EVER get anything like this kind of thoughtful input from the pundits sat in the TV studio.
and it all happens with Dotun Adebayo, it is such a ridiculous mix. My favourite radio show by far.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
That's as pure a teamwork vs. individual quality match-up as you'll see.

I feel like Belgium's pattern of a frustrating first hour followed by good late counter-attacking might look a bit better against quality teams. Back four has plenty of mistakes in it though.
USA is better than they faced in the group but it's a dangerous game for the USA. The US don't keep clean sheets so they are likely to have to score multiple times to win. Belgium will double down on Dempsey which will put pressure on someone else to step up.

18M Americans watched the last game which is a record. It was also the highest watched stream on ESPN ever. Both of those would of been higher if it wasn't the middle of a work day. Scenes if thousands of people watching outdoor big screens in Chicago and NY have made this a huge WC here. I haven't seen anything line it before.

Klinsman will need to get the players in the right mind to face Belgium. Too often in the past the US has been to content with getting out of the group. In the knockout rounds anything can happen.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think the football gods would prefer that, yes.

Neymar never looks up, does he?

&, I realise it's been said before, but Gene Hackman is a shoo in to play Big Phil in the biopic of his life, isn't he?

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Why is Fred in the team? He's shocking. No control, pace or hold up play. Did he win the spot in a radio phone in competition?

Goal makes it interesting.

Spark

Global Moderator
That really was biblically awful defending. Quite the stunned silence from the crowd afterwards too.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Webb being called brave by the Beeb team for not giving a clear penalty. I really don't get it.